The Red Or The #4

gazza

as we have all heard the Ironmind RED nail and #4 gripper have been conquered

but which is your favourite and why!

Mine would have to be the RED as i realy like and prefare bending over the grippers and it keeps me mentaly in touch with the oldtimers who paved the

way for us all.

I'm more impressed by the red, as grippers tend to be gripper-centric, while the red is a test of the grip, wrist, and upper body.

Both are truly a test of will power, which makes both equaly as amazing.

7 inches of 5/16" cold-rolled steel.

I'm goin with bender onthis one. Both are incredible feats. But the red is more of an all around test. See Brookfield quote in Benders sig.

yea same I've tried both red nail is harder.

Edited by Strong Man

Guest gripmaster316

A tough but fair question. I have tried the #4 and it is like a brick between the handles is stopping me. I have tried an 8 inch spike with the same thickness as the red and I could only put a kink into while braced. Personally I am not sure what is harder. I think they are both equally hard. Two people have closed the 4, and two people have bent the red nail??

Oldguy,

Try bending some 5/16" HRS or CRS stock. If you think you can get the Red (unbraced), I believe Strossen will provide one to your witness.

If you can bend to average 60D nails taped together, you might be able to put a kink in the Red.

I too have to go with the #4 as I can appreciate how hard it is. Not yet moving into the bending world I can't truly appreciate how hard the red really is.

Oldguy,

I am able to U a 7 inch cut of 5/16 HRS but I can't even put a kink in a 7 by 5/16 cut of CRS.

Good Luck.

Maybe we will also see someone else U-Shape the Red nail unbraced this year,

Pat is very close,i believe Arne is taking some Red nails over for George Christens in Luxemburg to try.

Also nexy years British Grip Champs and Euro Grip Champs is to feature Bending as one of its disiplines un-Braced,i am realy excited about this as it means more people get to try this excellent test of strength,plus the more main stream it goes the better for us all,more opinions,views,tips etc.

Dont be too surprised if Big Steve McGranahan U's the red unbraced by the end of this year as well!

Rick Walker :rock

Even though my grip work focuses primarily on thick bars and grippers, I think a bent red nail is more impressive. See, after you bend a red nail, you can hang it up on your wall and say "I bent that". But if you close a #4, the turkey springs back open again! ;)