Favorite Tool For Grip Workouts?

Goatman

I have recently discovered the beauty of a good thick dumbbell. I was over at a steel yard and found "something" that looks kind of like a small axle. I duct taped the already thick middle to about 2.5 inches. It is not balanced, with one end longer than the other, but I use that on my pinky side. It weighs 34.5 pounds, and the cool thing is I can slip Olympic plates onto the ends. I have it up to 84.5 pounds, and I bounce on my feet while I hold it, or I go for long walks with lighter weight on it. I am up to about a mile and a half (resting along the way) with 44.5lbs. This contraption has really helped me in the last couple of months.

Anything y'all have made that you really love?

I had some static olympic sleeves (non-revolving) that I placed on the end of some 3.5 foot 1-inch galvanized steel pipe... to use as farmer's walk bars. Well, not soon after, I decided I wanted to make those bars with raised handles (so they don't roll out of my hands), so I took one of the sleeves off... now I have a plate-loaded sledgehammer that has been a blast.

I also have some 2" galvanized with collars on the inside and griptape in the middle for thick-handled farmers walks.

And my favorite piece of equipment, at least... the most used... my 5 ft thickbar, made from galvanized pipe, scrap collars from play it again sports with nickel-plated bolts, grip tape (cloth athletic tape) on the inside and spin-lock collars on the outside to keep the weight from spinning (feels more solid and harder to lift that way)

Edited by hooligan

The coin bag, is that from The Gripmaster's Handbook? I've read about it somewhere, and it does sound like something I'd like to try.

I'm also going to try the galvanized pipe, I think it would be easier to stack the weight on, and more evened out.

John Brookfield wrote about the coin bag carry in MOHS. August Johnson walked 1 mile holding on to a 32 lb. bag of coins without changing his grip! An awesome feat!

-HH

• 3 weeks later...

Right now... I'm in the middle of a project - making my own Farmers Walk plate-loaded bars.

The way this project is going, I want to put my head through a wall. :ohmy:whacked

It turns out to be more complicated than I expected it to be. However, when it's completed, I'll have one jim-dandy set of FW bars to be extremely proud of!!! :happy:happy