Ironmind Pinch Grip Blocks

Guest ms316

Just got my Ironmind Pinch Grip Block and couldn't believe how smooth the surface was.

I know that taking some sandpaper to it would increase my grippage and defeat the purpose, but I can't believe I can make any gains of something so slippery.

Anyone else have one ??

way too smooth nobody likes it

yup.

The edges are rounded too, makeing it more difficult. For me, a sharp edge is key to pinching.

Chalk only helps on bare metal. Not so good on slick paint or PVC. One side of the block is flat the other has some odd very shallow chanels that do not help in anyway. The block is just a slice of some odd oblong extruded steel.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I could agree more. Allmost not fun to do. I seem to do best ( which is not saying much) When I Get my hands damp with cold water and just let them air dry . They seem to be tacky for a short time atfer that. I thought about putting some skateboard tape on mine. I want to build my pinch.Not come up with new ways to make my hands tacky . I just don't feel a lift should be decided by how dry a compititors hands are. I feel there should be a surface that has enough texture to it where you don't have to even think about it sliding. The are either strong enough, or you are not. Take the surface on Olyimpic plates. There is a bit of texture on them. You are strong enough to do them, or you are not.

My favorite pinchgrip block is made from two short pieces of smooth 2x4 pine nailed together to make a width of 3''. I have smoothed the wood further with steel wool. The texture of the wood is ideal for pinching. Constanly worrying about the condition of the hands is no fun and spoils pinching. With wood you don't have any problems, and the cost of the block is zero.

shown here

http://www.cyberpump.com/albums/album02/abf.sized.jpg

I have an IM pinch block and I think it is great, maybe

that is because I have done some nice poundages on

it but oh well. It is slick and difficult, it just makes

it that much more challenging. I soon hope to get or

exceed the WR on it, which I believe to be around

70lbs or so, correct me if I am wrong. I have come close

to this a few times, but no pic unfortunatly, soon though.

Matt

I think I have done around 55 to 60. I still use it, but haven't tested myself recently. My thumbs are stronger now from daily work with a Pony clamp plus a great many rubber bands. I use more the heel of my hand on the block, and this seems to help.

• 2 weeks later...

The wood one, if the same dimensions, would be much easier than IM's block.

More texture/friction plus sharper edges on which to hook the thumb.

Much easier.

Using a wooden block that has been sanded and polished with steel wool, and is the same size as the Ironmind block in width, I can lift about 10 lbs more than on the metal block.

Try putting some athletic tape on it and then chalking it down. That might help.

i didn't get the pinch grip block but got the hub-style pinch gripper. yes, it's extremely slippery however i just work with it. sometimes i do drop it but make sure that my foot stance is such that if it does slip, it doesn't land on my feet.

:rock