Thickhandle Dumbell Idea

hooligan

I wonder, if an engineering shop would let you get a 3" diameter/19" length piece of cylindrical steel, then lathe it down 7" on each side to 2 inches diameter. This way, you could have a 3" dumbell with 7" loaders on each side and a 5" handle. This way, the piece would be solid and require no welding. I may have to check with a few engineering shops around here.

Has anyone else thought of making a thick dumbell like this? Would this be cost effective compared to having someone just weld 2" of circular stock onto a 3" handle?

I am really thinking of John Beatty's dumbells that he sells on his site, they look like that was the method to create them.

Edited by hooligan

am really thinking of John Beatty's dumbells that he sells on his site, they look like that was the method to create them.

That is what I would do unless you have the $$$ for a 19 inch piece of CRS

and the $$ for the machining of it. I say it would cost $100 +

Your other method of welding 2 in load pins to a 5 inch handle, is feasible.

But you risk the pins shearing off if you were to drop it with a heavy load

on to the floor.

I think John Beatty uses steel tubing and sleeves the handles over the loading

tubes. But don`t quote me :) Anyone know for sure?

I am headed to the engineering shop soon, they may have some scrap 3" or 2.5", and if they do... I will see if they can make it with the scrap...

A friend of mine went to them to make his practice 56# and 28# weights for highland games, they made them from scrap iron and charged him $60... I don't mind (in fact I may even prefer) using iron, or whatever scrap they have, if they have 2.5" or 3" scrap.

Still... $100 for a custom dumbell isn't that bad, and the Inch Loadable from PDA is approximately the same price, after shipping it would be more. The Turk from there would be about 60 bucks, but I don't think that is a solid machined piece.

Yes, If your shop has a piece of scrap for the length you want that would

save you some $$. I meant if your piece had to be cut from a stock piece

it would cost ya and maybe a fee to cut it as well.......

Goodluck with your project

I did this about two years ago, a 18in. long 2 1/2 in. diameter piece of round stock.

The handle is 6in.'s long & it weighs 17lbs. the knurling didnt really work cause the steel was really hard.

You know, even brand-new iron round stock is considerably less expensive than CRS, so I may consider doing this with unfinished iron. Since I only want the handle to be 5", and I don't think I will load it over 200lbs any time real soon...

Once I get this made up... I will get some pics out there.

Edited by hooligan

In my experience, even with "after market", metal suppliers will get $45-$55

for a piece of 3 inch x 19 in CRS. Then you have your machining costs........

I've got some of John Beatty's Thick DB handles. They are indeed a piece of 2.5" tube sleeved over a longer 2" tube and then welded in place. A very nice piece and inexpensive.

I made some thick handled d-bells (2.5 inch dia. handles) that will hold six 10 lb. plates per side. I found a couple of scrapped hydraulic cylinders, and used the highly polished (chromed, actually) rods that were in them. As a machinst, I didn't have to pay anyone to do the turning. But you may be able to save yourself some cash by hunting up some cylinders a a place where they do hydraulic repairs(heavy equipment etc.) you will wind up with d-bell handles that not only look cool, but are extra hard to hang onto due to the chrome plating.

Mike