You Know You Are Grown Up When...

Brad

I was over at my 90+ year old grandfather's house this week. My parents are moving and we were discussing some of the things that they have in the back yard that would have to be moved. One of the things is an old rusty anvil. My grandpa said that "you knew that you were grown up when you could pick up an anvil by the horn and walk ten steps with it". I thought that you guys would appreciate that.

BTW- You can get relatively inexpensive anvils at Harbor Freight. We have one locally and I found a 55 pound anvil on sale for 30 dollars.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/head...function=Search

Brad

I've actually been on a sort of vision quest the last few months trying to acquire a reasonably priced, functional anvil, and it's not as easy as it sounds. Farmers auctions tend to get bidded up to 1-2+$ per lbs and ordering one you get hit almost as hard for shipping as you do the anvil. :dry not to mention alot of the cast iron ones are not that good of quality (ok if you are just lifting it i suppose).

For anyone interested there is an Early American Wrought Iron Convention September 7th being held here:

http://www.visitdover.com/tours/attractagmuseum.html

Alot of early blacksmithing equipment (ANVILS!) will be bought and sold here as well as a number of demonstrations.

-Matt

Brad,

I am interested in your anvil also. My interest lie in the maker, which should

be stamped into the side although sometimes it is not. It should be on the side

with the horn pointing to your right.

Any kind of stamp markings of unusual design like an anchor or stars or

punched in lettering, etc.

Also if it has 3 numbers stamped into the side such as 1-0-12

The three #s will give you the weight in english hundred-weight.

Makers name of importance would be Peter Wright, Hay-Budden, Trenton,

Arm&Hammer, Vulcan, Wilkinson, Columbian, Sanderson-Sheffield, M&H Armitage

to name a few

Thanks

A good heavy anvil with a nicely shaped horn suitable for lifting is difficult to find if not impossible - I should know because I tried. Then if you do get one, you'll have to have it shipped to you (increasing your cost). This is why I got the Little Big Horn from IronMind. You can add as much weight as you want to, and take it anywhere you want. :cool

Snott - the Ironmind anvil horn is a good tool, but there is just something much more satisfying about grasping a large anvil by the horn and lifting it. I'd keep trying to find an anvil and use the Ironmind horn in the mean time. Going to conventions and/or looking up blacksmiths in your area you might be surprised how close an anvil is to you even if you dont live in farm country. I'm from Baltimore and found several blacksmiths in my area just through the internet and one even agreed to give me lessons. Even if you are not interested in blacksmithing they would be helpful in how to acquire an functional anvil.

-Matt

mANVIL,

Actually, I do have an anvil - a real functioning anvil. Problem: I weighed it on a digital scale at work and it comes out to 50 pounds. Too light for any serious lifting. I've even put a chain around it along with 100 pounds of weights and lifted it like that. Maybe you're right, I should keep looking. I do enjoy the LBH for all it's worth... I can adjust the weight any time I want; only thing is I can't do any top pinches with it... you need a real anvil to practice that.

• 10 months later...

I was just seaping throught old posts and found this one, reminds me that me Dad has a 140 lb british anvil in his strictily French-Canadian shop. Can't remember the make, just rember always wanting to take it home as a child (It was unmovable back then :happy)

Edited by Darco

i looked for an anvil for a long time.....then my grandpa mentioned having a very heavy one i could have. it was bolted to two huge wooden blocks. the total weight for the whole thing was over 300 lbs. after i took the anvil off, i found it weighed a hair under 165. i have not even come close to a horn deadlift with it, but its on my list of things to do. i have pressed it though :blush i know, i know, overhead press of 165 isnt much.

I've got one of those harbor freight anvils... 55lbs, and it is a good training tool. Snott, if you're doing the right exercises, 50lbs can be a lot to handle. Clean & presses, snatches, curls by the horn, you can choke up on it... possibilities are endless.

So Rick, have you snatched either of those yet? I seem to remember you saying that was one of your goals.

Any plans to pinch grip one(like the high pull Sorin is doing in the Pic Gallery with a 100lber)?

So Rick, have you snatched either of those yet? I seem to remember you saying that was one of your goals.
It certainly is. And it is one goal I will accomplish. I have not done it yet, my best to date is Big Steve's anvil.
Any plans to pinch grip one(like the high pull Sorin is doing in the Pic Gallery with a 100lber)?

Maybe some day. That, again, is not a goal you are going to accomplish overnight. So far I can do it with one hand and 2-fingers and thumb from the other. I am in no hurry.

Rick Walker :rock

You want anvils? Go to grizzly.com I'm going to get the 300lb for the load at the 2005 Snowman.

Grizzly.com

Yes. The shipping is pretty cheap. I think it's only $75 shipping on a 300lb anvil.

Neat. That 100lb one would make for an incredible feat of pinch strength at 5.5" wide! The 300 sounds like a fun one to load too.

Grizzly anvils aren't bad considering they're cast iron, which tends to chip. My dad has a 130lb anvil in his shop that I've yet to lift, but I think I will have to go give it a shot tonight!

Anvils are cool. Wish I had one at my disposal. :erm

Anvils are cool. Wish I had one at my disposal. :erm

O.K., milkbone! You can give mine a try - it's 50 pounds. :)