Knurling

supersqueeze

I know this is "tampering" but it is for a training gripper so don't crucify me, please!

My #2 has just about had the knurling worn to the point of no longer being of service. I love the gripper because it is stiff from the start and harder than any BBM I have felt. Does anyone know if knurling can be refurbished and, if so, how it is done? I know I can buy a new one but I would rather fix a sure thing than cast my money back into the gripper lottery.

Thanks,

Mike M.

Should be able to take it to a machine shop. It will reduce the handle size though. Buy another gripper and swap the handles.

I've had it a long time, used it often and, yes, I've cleaned it too many times. It is a very "well loved" gripper and it shows the use. To be honest, I think it was bought with a shallow knurl but it was so long ago I don't remember ever looking when it was new. I do remember it always seemed to be easier on my hands in the early days of my training. Now it swims and squirms around in my hand so much it is sometimes very difficult to set.

MM

That sounds like a winner. Afterall it is the spring that is unique. Thanks, guys!!

MM

Edited by supersqueeze

I found if fairly east to twist off the Lemley handles. I cannot advise you on removing Ironmind gripper handles, as I have not tried it. Maybe someone who has can be of help? I would suggest that you uses nothing harsher than a toothbrush in future to clean the handles, so as to not spoil the knurling.

As Heath said it can be done, but the handle size will be slightly smaller. I have my own shop, and could do them for you if you want, but as far as removing the handles, you're on your own.

Mike

I dont think that you have to use an abrasive to get the knurling off. My #2 is pretty slick now and all I ever used to clean it was something fairly pointy and cleaned the crap out of each groove one by one (works great.) But what I think did my knurling in was just normal wear and tear, aside from using... say carrying it around in your bag or pocket a lot can do a lot. Ive never used a wire brush to clean it yet I can still see visible damage to the knurling. Sorry though I dont have any remidies.... I would think the best bet though would to smooth the handle down and redo the knurling alltogether.. a teeny bit smaller and might affect the power needed to close but this aint a #3 or #4 we're talking about so i doubt it matters.

I once removed the handles from an Ironmind #2 . It was a nightmare!!

I used an angle grinder and cut-off blades. Not a pretty site but the spring

came out unscathed.

The spring leg of this gripper extended into the handle 3/4 inch past the

smooth ring that is in the middle of the handle. That is how I learned why

I could not twist it off even after applying heat to the handles.

Why tear up a #2?.. Just to see what made it tick :stuart