Plate Curl

Sean Dockery

I've been doing plate curls for about three months, and have progressed nicely on them. I'm currently using a 25 lbs plate with a loading pin and 5 lbs added for 3X10. My question is: I've always felt a much greater stress on my fingers during this exercise than on my wrist, is this normal? I perform the plate curl like a concentration curl bracing my elbow against my thigh while seated on a bench, curling the plate towards my opposite ear.

Thanks

some people (who have long and weaker fingers for example) are limited by their finger strength, not their wrist strength.

nothing strange in my opinion. your fingers will strengthen

david

Finger pain is undoubtedly the limiting factor in my plate curls. It feels as if they could break if I keep pushing it. Not a good feeling at all.

OK...next question: Is there a better exercise? Obviously opinions/results will vary. I am attempting to strengthen my wrist and thumb in preparation for the Inch. Grip routine looks like this (workout Tues Thurs and Sat):

Strap holds with CoC #2 3 holds

RT deads 5 singles with 5 sec hold

Plate curl 3X10

Hammer curl with 2.5" dia db's 3X10

Blob holds (currently 35 lbs) 3 holds

Inch hold (cock wrist and resist roll) 4 holds

Blob Toss 3X20

(Note: I use a 2" bar for my total body work on M and F)

I'm making progress on this program, but would like input for possible improvement.

BTW, I've been using Bender's mitten trick and it has really helped my recovery.

I feel plate curls in the fingers and to a lesser extent in the thumb. I add weight by using a pony clamp to clamp a plate to the 25 or whatever plate I am curling. This way I can add weight to the outside instead of the center.

One thing you can try is to buy a C-clamp from the hardware store to clamp a smaller weight on the far end of the plate you are curling to increase the mechanical disadvantage on your hand.

I have also been using bender's suggestion, wearing gloves at night, and my hands have felt great. I no longer have that weird achey feeling when I wake up. The first day I did it, I thought my fingers felt stiffer. I thought, "What the heck is this dude thinking?" Then, after I took the gloves off, and moved my fingers around a bit, I realized that the stiff feeling was actually like a minor blood pump into my hands. When the blood rushes away, they feel very replenished.

Also, I have been doing arm swings throughout my workouts and at work to send more new fresh blood into my extremities.

I recommend both techniques to all hand strength athletes.

Napalm

The first day I did it, I thought my fingers felt stiffer. I thought, "What the heck is this dude thinking?" Then, after I took the gloves off, and moved my fingers around a bit, I realized that the stiff feeling was actually like a minor blood pump into my hands. When the blood rushes away, they feel very replenished.
;)

Exactly. It "bathes your hands in blood" while you sleep. An envrionment not normal to the poorly-circulated fingers and hand tendons.

The last two nights I've went to bed thinking "On no. I've over trained my hands again... What have I done!!!", because of my training for The BLOB. On go the mittens, and I wake up near 100%, as if I didn't even train the day before.

I recommend both techniques to all hand strength athletes.

Another technique recommended by Paul Anderson, was to do hand-stand push-ups against a wall. This forces A LOT of blood into the chest-shoulders-arms.

Hand stand push ups, eh? I may have to try that. Might be just hand stands tho'. :blush

Another technique recommended by Paul Anderson, was to do hand-stand push-ups against a wall.  This forces A LOT of blood into the chest-shoulders-arms.

I hang from gravity boots almost daily for nearly the same effect. I unfortunately am too clumsy to do an upside down push up without an engineer nearby to spot my ass.

I suppose you can also use the terafin (sp) wax bathes to give your self a quick shot of heat. I have done this when i arrive at work when my hands hurt extremely bad after harsh bending routines. They say you can get these machine for like 30 bucks.

Oh, I brought up the idea of wearing loose-fitting gloves and wrist wraps to a PT today and my idea was quickly shot down. These people if the medical field...when will they learn...I know what I am talking about.