Best Supporting Grip of All Time?

Bill Piche

Split into 3 divisions as BWT is huge in most cases in support grip

200lb and under- Eric Roussin, Tanner Merkle, Gil Goodman

201lb-250 lb      -Andrew Durniat, Adam Glass

over 250lb         Mike Burke( IM axle WR for over 5years) Odd Haugen(sustained excellence for many decades) Tank, Steve Gardener, Igor Kupinsky (Current IM Axle WR holder, WR for distance with Double Inch Replica farmers walk)

Edited by Kluv#0
Update to list the Great Igor Kupinsky
  • Like 2

Laine Snook
Alexey Tyukalov
Mike Burke
Mark Felix
Rich Williams
Andrew Durniat
Chris James
Steve Gardener

I do believe Laine has the strongest hands, it's a shame that he can only do stiff leg deadlifts.

• Like 2

My pick would be Rich Williams. He has the highest lift of an Axle DO DL and the double Inch Farmers walk world record I think. 

• Like 1

Was that axle lift you refer to Florian with tightly secured spin collars? It does make a very noticable difference if you tighten quality spin collars versus using no collars at all, especially if you use high quality plates with a tight fit.

Edited by Mikael Siversson
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Laine Snook
Alexey Tyukalov
Mike Burke
Mark Felix
Rich Williams
Andrew Durniat
Chris James
Steve Gardener

I do believe Laine has the strongest hands, it's a shame that he can only do stiff leg deadlifts.

Exactly. Laine has the strongest hands as I see it, and as Jedd see's it. Jedd met people like Rich Williams and others. Very strong people. He agree's on Laine. Laine is out of this world. I also met very strong people, none like Laine. But his back gives him a problem so that's a reason he can't break the Axle record, although I believe he will get the WR on it one handed.  One handed I choose Laine Snook for all the crazy stuff and easily repping the Millennium bells and two handed I choose Mike Burk and his axle WR.

Edit: Needless to say, this field is very big. Not like grippers or blobs. I am sure strong people are there and we don't know them.

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Was that axle lift you refer to Florian with tightly secured spin collars? It does make a very noticable difference if you tighten quality spin collars versus using no collars at all, especially if you use high quality plates with a tight fit.

It was in his gym/home and I didn't notice it and can't check because he blocked me for not saying that I saw him lifting the Millennium bell. Maybe Flo knows?

1 hour ago, Alawadhi said:

It was in his gym/home and I didn't notice it and can't check because he blocked me for not saying that I saw him lifting the Millennium bell. Maybe Flo knows?

I have not the colloars in mind. I refer to a gym lift record. But Rich also performed great at MM. 

2 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Makes all the difference as you say. Tightly locked spin-lock collars makes the axle an AXLE in my opinion.

In no particular order:

• Chris James
  • Mike Burke
  • Mark Felix
  • Rich Williams
  • Andrew Durniat
  • Adam Glass
  • Laine Snook
  • Mobster
  • Tex
  • Chad
  • Tanner

Honorable mention once again to Bob Sundin.  Again: smaller hands, geezer club, not particularly strong overall.  Ended up owning the Inch after working his tale off and going about training for it scientifically and with singleness of purpose.  One of the greatest feats I have witnessed.

If I had to pick just one guy for sheer entertainment from the list above, I'd pick Chris James.  There's something incredibly fun about seeing a guy that looks like Drew Carey walk up and grab inhuman weights on an axle.  Some of the lifts he has done are crazy.  Chris may be one of the strongest humans most people have never heard of walking the planet.

Andrew and Adam are studs just to be in the same category as some of those mass monsters.

One handed, I think Laine might be the best, but his back preventing big two hand lifts, eliminates him from the overall title IMO.

Steve Gardner has to be in the conversation for his body of work.

Tex has done some awesome support grip lifts.  Unfortunately he had the misfortune of always doing them with Rich and getting edged out more often than not

We all know Chad is a great pincher, but we sometimes forget he has put up huge numbers on the RT and axle.

Tanner:  Pound for Pound GOAT

With no bias, I'd have a hard time choosing between Burke, Felix, and Williams for the overall top spot.  3 big guys with an incredible track record.  Gun to my head, probably Burke.  Holding a record like that for 5 years is pretty sick. But I wouldn't bet more than a fin on it. 

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Florian Kellersmann said:

My pick would be Rich Williams. He has the highest lift of an Axle DO DL and the double Inch Farmers walk world record I think. 

Mike Burke in fact beat WR double Inch farmers. 

Yes, they had different conditions. Rich turned around 180 degrees.
Mike is at 90 degrees.
But. If you look at the total time of running with dumbbells and holding them in your hands, then.

Rich hoding 16 sec. Mike - 21 sec.

But again. MM had three exercises. And Mike was preparing for only one.
All this leaves questions.

Performance of Rich on Axle - awesome, his 555 pounds - unbelieveble.

Overall.

Laine Snook - as 1 hand lift. Ex-WR on RT, 7 reps lift of MDB, Clean of Inch (strictly and many cases)

Mike Burke - official 3 WR  Axle, double Inch farmers walk, Clean and press Inch - 2 reps. 2-time absolute winner of MM 13-14''. 

Rich Williams - ex -WR on Axle, ex-WR - Inch walk, current unofficially WR holder on Axle, and 3-time absolute winner MM 10-12''.

Also do not forget about Brian Shaw.

Also Alexey Tyukalov, Sergey Daragan and Kirill Sarychev.

Bodyweight ratio - absolute winner here is sure Tanner Merkle. I think - he ready to lift of MDB. 83 division. Incredible.

• Like 2

Agreed on all of the above!

Shaw might be up there allthough he still has to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt 🤔(by breaking the axle WR and snatching the inch😎).

Remembered this vid from 9! years back. Tex Henderson, Rich Williams and Brian Shaw all lifted this 200lb circus dumbbell, but Brian just lifted it like it was a bag of groceries.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Kashtan said:

Mike Burke in fact beat WR double Inch farmers. 

Yes, they had different conditions. Rich turned around 180 degrees.
Mike is at 90 degrees.
But. If you look at the total time of running with dumbbells and holding them in your hands, then.

Rich hoding 16 sec. Mike - 21 sec.

But again. MM had three exercises. And Mike was preparing for only one.
All this leaves questions.

Performance of Rich on Axle - awesome, his 555 pounds - unbelieveble.

Overall.

Laine Snook - as 1 hand lift. Ex-WR on RT, 7 reps lift of MDB, Clean of Inch (strictly and many cases)

Mike Burke - official 3 WR  Axle, double Inch farmers walk, Clean and press Inch - 2 reps. 2-time absolute winner of MM 13-14''. 

Rich Williams - ex -WR on Axle, ex-WR - Inch walk, current unofficially WR holder on Axle, and 3-time absolute winner MM 10-12''.

Also do not forget about Brian Shaw.

Also Alexey Tyukalov, Sergey Daragan and Kirill Sarychev.

Bodyweight ratio - absolute winner here is sure Tanner Merkle. I think - he ready to lift of MDB. 83 division. Incredible.

Very good post! I was'nt aware of Mike Burkes Inch DB record. All mentioned athletes are incredible! 

By the way, Rich did 560 on the axle. 

Edited by Florian Kellersmann
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Royz said:

Shaw might be up there allthough he still has to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt 🤔(by breaking the axle WR and snatching the inch😎).

Remembered this vid from 9! years back. Tex Henderson, Rich Williams and Brian Shaw all lifted this 200lb circus dumbbell, but Brian just lifted it like it was a bag of groceries.

That's just sick how easy he lifts that thing! Looks like it's no effort at all :D 

1 hour ago, Royz said:

This too. Brian was smaller and weaker back then.

I forgot to mention there was like a friendly challenge on Facebook between Laine and Rich on the country crush. Laine numbers was better. But Laine didn't post a video. He is that type. I do believe it. But he DID ask Rich to have his max sent after he (Laine) will post his max. Rich blocked Laine.
Another thing is, Mark Felix attempted the Millennium bell and could barely move it. Mark has beated Brian Shaw in RT too in the same contest. But Brian is much stronger now. So for Axle, I go with Mike Burk. For one hand thick bar, I go with Laine whether is a dumbbell or an axle. For WW, Laine. For country crush, Laine. For a 3" or 3.5" axle (which requires you less weight), Laine. RT, Laine. Farmers walk inch, Burk. Inch clean for reps without touching the body, Laine. Thumbless deadlift or even DO, Burk or Shaw.

Chris james is up there 530+ axle and a 700 lb axle partial deadlift 

• Like 4

Chris James - done 300+kg farmer lift, huge axles, a lot on DO rack pulls, 140kg rolling thunder, 260kg one hand deadlift with hook. Virtually everything on video. 

Terry Hollands - said he had done a massive double overhand deadlift no hook, I believe it was 360kg. 240kg axle, big rolling thunder again, clean & pressed a 70kg inch like dumbbell for a double easy recently, farmers walks of 200kg+ not uncommon. 

Steve gardener - I think he has the one hand lift world record of 330 or 335kg?? World record adjustable thickbar or nigh on if not (I know he nearly did 170kg). Has done rep outs and added weight on the mellenium dumbbell. 160kg 2.5" dumbbell lift. 6 singles at 200kg thumbless axle in training, easy 216kg held solid DO axle in legit contest (European championships).

Mark Felix - can't think of ever seeing his grip fail on a farmers walk. Biggest rolling thunder of anyone. 220kg DO ironmind axle in contest. Long farmers walks of inch dumbbells plus in my opinion clearly could lift the mellenium in the above video, had it locked in and he said he can do it, was just before a strongman contest so he didn't want to try it properly. Never seen anyone get that none tilted (though seen a picture of mark henry with it to his knees).

I'd personally give it to Steve just due to seeing more different tests from him and him being really high level in all / competition history e.g more proven. His rolling thunder is maybe a touch less than the others (still matched Brian shaw in contest), but he might have more finger strength than any of them. Maybe Chris James though, he's done some insane stuff.

• Like 1

This is a tricky one to judge.  There's the rolling thunder deadlift, DO axle deadlift, thick handled Dumbbell deadlift, DO deadlift with an Olympian bar.

There's no benchmark for supporting grip strength.  But if I had to choose one of the exercises above, I'd chose the axle lift as it involves the use of both hands and doesn't rely as much on leg strength as does deadlifting with an Olympian bar.

I'd say either Rich Williams or Chris James has the best supporting grip of all time.

I'd love to see a coc4 ccs attempt from Rich Williams by the way.

It's crazy leaving out Mike Burke, Terry Holland, and Laine Snook though.

5 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

Chris James - done 300+kg farmer lift, huge axles, a lot on DO rack pulls, 140kg rolling thunder, 260kg one hand deadlift with hook. Virtually everything on video. 

Terry Hollands - said he had done a massive double overhand deadlift no hook, I believe it was 360kg. 240kg axle, big rolling thunder again, clean & pressed a 70kg inch like dumbbell for a double easy recently, farmers walks of 200kg+ not uncommon. 

Steve gardener - I think he has the one hand lift world record of 330 or 335kg?? World record adjustable thickbar or nigh on if not (I know he nearly did 170kg). Has done rep outs and added weight on the mellenium dumbbell. 160kg 2.5" dumbbell lift. 6 singles at 200kg thumbless axle in training, easy 216kg held solid DO axle in legit contest (European championships).

Mark Felix - can't think of ever seeing his grip fail on a farmers walk. Biggest rolling thunder of anyone. 220kg DO ironmind axle in contest. Long farmers walks of inch dumbbells plus in my opinion clearly could lift the mellenium in the above video, had it locked in and he said he can do it, was just before a strongman contest so he didn't want to try it properly. Never seen anyone get that none tilted (though seen a picture of mark henry with it to his knees).

I'd personally give it to Steve just due to seeing more different tests from him and him being really high level in all / competition history e.g more proven. His rolling thunder is maybe a touch less than the others (still matched Brian shaw in contest), but he might have more finger strength than any of them. Maybe Chris James though, he's done some insane stuff.

Nice to see the British list Paul, as usual. But Mark don't have the biggest RT, Tank has it officially. Terry Hollands 360KG DO non hook? Any video? And the Axle record is American. Chris James is strong man, very. But 300+ on a farmers walk assuming 150KG each hand that's not a big deal. I have friends who does more. Marc Von Dan Haer. Search him on Instagram. He walks with 165 KG each hand on a 49MM handles. And got few steps with 180KG each hand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

Hard to do an all time list. Ill just go with what i consider the stand outs.

Over 200

Wade

Chad

Jedd

Andrew

Mike Burke

Brian Shaw

Mobster

Laine

Rich

Tex

Mark Felix

Juha

Chris James

Tank

under 200

Adam Glass

Gil

Tanner

Eric R.

best BW thickbar guys are a toss up between Tanner and Adam.

I think Tanner is the best pound-for-pound guy. I’d rank Andrew Durniat just above Adam Glass. I believe Andrew is the heaviest man to lift double body weight on the axle.

• Like 1

Eric you being way too modest. IMO, IM axle is the premier thickbar test in the world and you have DOMINATED on the biggest contest/stages in the world for a long period of time. RT - which you don't tilt- you have won for longer period of time than anyone.  Also, 412.59 lbs on the 2 3/8" NN- weighing 200ish that is SIICK. IMO, until someone lifts consistently(3-5 years min. on big stage) double BWT axle and adds 15-30lbs you have the Championship belt as strongest pound for pound. Tanner exceptional but only 1 contest using IM axle and had great result.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Eric you being way too modest. IMO, IM axle is the premier thickbar test in the world and you have DOMINATED on the biggest contest/stages in the world for a long period of time. RT - which you don't tilt- you have won for longer period of time than anyone.  Also, 412.59 lbs on the 2 3/8" NN- weighing 200ish that is SIICK. IMO, until someone lifts consistently(3-5 years min. on big stage) double BWT axle and adds 15-30lbs you have the Championship belt as strongest pound for pound. Tanner exceptional but only 1 contest using IM axle and had great result.

I appreciate the kind words. But Tanner can lift significantly more than me on one-handed lifts, and weighs significantly less than me.

I'm looking forward to competing against him at the Arnolds in the Rolling Thunder event. I see him as the favorite in the under 220 class. I don't know how much he can lift with the RT, but his 2.5" Crusher numbers lead me to believe he can lift a lot!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

I appreciate the kind words. But Tanner can lift significantly more than me on one-handed lifts, and weighs significantly less than me.

I'm looking forward to competing against him at the Arnolds in the Rolling Thunder event. I see him as the favorite in the under 220 class. I don't know how much he can lift with the RT, but his 2.5" Crusher numbers lead me to believe he can lift a lot!

I gave my best logic on the post, perhaps Iam slowing down:):(   That will be a great event and amazing competition. Hope they will have live streaming video!

4 hours ago, Kashtan said:

Wow we used to think 500lb axles were impossible now we are approaching 600lbs. Absolutely incredible lift by Rich he might take the crown with that performance. Is he planning to compete sometime soon? I hope he takes back that record.