A Question About Soreness...

Goatman

Howdy again :rock I used to be here as Claemore70 about a year ago or so. Anyway, my question is should a person wait until soreness goes away before working that part out again? I have been, and I'm getting the feeling that I'm not working out hard enough, for one thing, and not often enough for another. I have not made significant gains towards closing the #3 in all this time. I'm getting frustrated, but still have hope.

Another question, anyone here heard of the strongman trick of putting a bottle top between each finger, and as you make a fist, crushing the tops? I read about it in John D. McDonald's "The Scarlet Ruse". I tried it and can't get the darn bottle tops to stay there- they keep wanting to roll out. Was wondering if that was a real trick or just made up.

Almost forgot to mention: it's great to be back. Couldn't find you guys for a while. The amount of information available, and the encouragement has helped a lot. Thanks guys.

Welcome back. I often workout while sore, if I am weak during the workout I'll stop and rest.

I gauge the soreness before I start. If its very sore than I rest or do very light "snowball" work just to stretch, if its a light soreness , then I tear into it.

Guest gripmaster316

Goatman, it's also in Keys to Progress?? John McCallum mentions this feat performed by Mac Batchelor. It is very hard (I haven't done it). However is other feat (pinching the neck of a full beer bottle) is a lot easier (I have done it). If you have really bad soreness try not to do anything. Give it a couple of days.

Edited by gripmaster316

Thanks all. I worked out today, was a little sore when I started, and it turned out to be a great workout.

Goatman,

I had this exact problem on the #2, I felt no progress was being made after a while of doing the same training regime, I put this problem to the board and was answered by many suggesting ways to change/differ/alternate my regime.

This helped and I'm now progressing and will carry on until a change is called for again.... Read about other peoples regimes in the Workout reports section and have a look at the variety of routines you could try.

When i started training my grip I went to a 'Home-brew' shop (Home-made beer) and picked up about 3000 bottlecaps for no cost at all. These I used to crush in-between individual fingers, I got to be able to do it on the index/bird finger but the others always escaped me.....as for doing 4 in one go...I think that boils down to serioud digit dexteriry/skill AND strength.... Hmmm I'm sure I still got some lying around.......

...Thats tonights work-out sorted ;)

Welcome back and good luck.

Digz.

Goatman,

I as well would like to eventually crush 4 caps like that. Index and middle finger are no problem...some difficulty to do them simutaneoulsy but the ring and pinky are a no go at presnet...someday :)

Jon@han

I'll have to go to one of those home brew shops, 'cause the only time I got bottle caps laying around is when I'm having some beers. I think my coordination will have to improve before I start humiliating myself. Thanks digdogz for the tip on where to find the caps. Also, I'm trying a new routine, and it seems to be helping a bit. I just got my Ivanko supergripper in the mail today, and am having fun with it.