2003 British Grip Champs Brief Report

David Horne

I don't usually do this but I thought I would this time giving you a bit of info about the pro competitors.

6th place. Arne Persson from Sweden [bW 114k]. A CoC, his task wasn't helped by arriving from Sweden 2 hours before the contest, and then by 'bombing' the last event. He was quite well balanced on the middle 3 events, but definitely needs to do some work on the pinch. Hopefully Arne and I will be at the fore to drive home the new European championship for next year.

5th place. Paul Preece from Birmingham [bW 109.9k]. A CoC, who's events were well balanced except for the pinch where like Arne he needs to put 12 months of hard work in. Placed 2nd in the dynamometer with a good 610lb squeeze.

4th place. Jim Wylie from Stafford [bW 101k]. A CoC, and blob master, which he demonstrated on sunday by deadlifting the 50lb blob with just two fingers and a thumb! Anyway, sunday was sunday and saturday was saturday, and he was gutted with his 4th place. HE knows he should have worked harder in training, and this will give him the kick to come after me again. Painfully that is, it will have done him good. He actually lifted ok, but ok isn't good enough for a top 3 spot. The hard training starts tonight, see you at 7.

3rd place. Kalle Lane from Sweden [bW 135.1k]. A strongman competitor who recently came 1/2 point second in the Swedish strongest man contest. In fact he beat Magnus Samuelson on the farmers hold with 150 k in each hand with 53 secs, and even though Magnus went after Kalle he couldn't hold on any longer than 50 secs. Kalle has won the swedish grip champs 7 times I think now, and is truly a great natural talent. I mean it. On the sunday I asked him to have a go at a few things (140k barrell, Inch bell and the blob). Bearing in mind he's never touched or seen an Inch bell or blob. He pulled the Inch bell that high, I thought he was going to clean it! I'm positive if he trained with me, and had access to the Inch he deinitely would clean it. After the Inch, he deadlifted the blob, then nearly fully deadlifted the blob and Inch together! Remember this is the day after the contest. His contest lifts were well balanced , and all I can say about this young giant (but lovely) man is that he will go far in the strongman and grip scene if he wants to.

2nd place. Steve Gardener from London [bW 116.6k]. Well as Steve will and has told you, he made mistakes, which after everything I've told him suprises me. But anyway for this year the 1st place was not to be, and he dug deep and worked hard to attain the second spot with which he was so happy with. As with a few others he needs to work on his pinch hard for 12 months, get those tyres out Steve! He will be dissapointed with his first 2 events, but then he really came into his own by taking my new (by about 3 mins) world record of 8.05k on the weaver stick. Well done. He also did a crisp (mega level) 102.5 k on the 2 " straight barbell one hand deadlift. This showed his thick bar prowess even without a tilt.

1st place. Me. And all I want to say is that it's been a long year, and the weekend was lovely and really cheered me up. I have loved my volume training and it REALLY works, and it's back to this tonight. I can understand how the KTA must work, but a lot of gripper work doesn't work for me, I have to balance the work allround.

Hope this hasn't been too boring to read,

David

great read David!

a nice group of athletes, possibly the best grip-athlete gathering in a comp there's ever been!

good luck with the european champs organising!

david

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Boring ? You have got to be kidding. Thanks for breaking down the placings. sounds like you had fun just putting on the contest . Let alone competing. Well done everyone !

First a big thank you to David for his kind comments.

Now the truth: David is still grip daddy. I will put below what I thought I was gonna get. Even if I had got my planned numbers David will still have beaten me by a margin on most lifts (except those starred).

Pinch: 53 kilos. Dyno: 600 lbs. Dinnie: 240 kilos. Weaver: 9 kilos (*). Thick bar: 105 (*).

I don't know what happened with my pinch, I was well on target to do over 45 and just ballsed it up. The dyno could have been better and the Dinnie I made a bad choice on.

Learn from my mistakes those about to enter Rick Walker and Kevin Fultons arenas.

David-

The contest sounds like a complete success! Congrats-thank you for making grip a contest worthy sport!

Congrats to all competitors- :mosher

Rick Walker :rock

Excellent post David. Reading it was almost like being there. Congrats, and well done to all who competed. :rock

-Erik

Very nice report of a very high caliber competition, David.

Glad you all like it. I suppose it does give a personal touch to names many on here have never met.

Rick,

I really hope your contest is a big winner as I'm sure it will be. Remember to have fun in among all the graft, and that also goes for the competitors turning up.

David

Kalle has close CoC#3 with both left and rigth hand several times. He don't own any gripper himself.

Boring?

Perhaps the best post i have ever read.

As a trivia buff i really appreciated ALL the info on the athletes.From BW to some insite into their training.I especially appreciated and was entertained by the details on kalle?his obvious animalistic potential is scarey.....but... YOU,David are still 'the man'.

Congratulations on the win and THANK YOU for such a great report!

David,

Congrats to you and to all that competed. Another great British Champtionships!!!

--------------------------------

"Live long, stay strong" - C.F.B.

Congrats David,

Sounds like it was a great time, to bad I could

not be there again this year to redeam myself :cool

Matt

Gripmaster316,

There was also 3 lifters in the Amateur section who can close the #3 gripper.

Tom,

Thanks for your kind remarks.

Matt,

There will be many more comps, and the next time you come over you could be vieing for a position.

This year I felt very strong across the board, and this is due to the large amount of volume training that I have done from about March. As I said before the training helped me through my bad time, and I carried on the volume work and now love it. 7 days a week training is not for everyone, but possibly advanced athletes like myself can cope. It DOES work!

Last night was back to training. It was tough and it was great.

David

....I carried on the volume work and now love it. 7 days a week training is not for everyone, but possibly advanced athletes like myself can cope. It DOES work!

It just couldn't possibly work David. You'll overtrain! You'll feel weak! You'll get weak! ;)