What would you call this lift?

Diabolical

Just joined the forum. I got into grip stuff about 3 weeks ago after getting my CoC 1.5. Been into fitness and basic finger or hand exercises casually (or not so casually) before then though. I can almost close it, a bit past parallel.

What would you call this finger tip lift? 52.5 lbs DB lifted by the inner plate lip. My thumb is weak compared to my fingers, I would do finger tip pull ups on my door frame (minimal thumb support) and  can do finger tip push ups with the tips propped rather than collapsed flat in over-extension. What grip exercises would I be good at? I saw something with a ring, I think it was a finger tip exercise. I know I'd be able to do that if the "bull ring" is a deadlift; when I used to go to the gym my full crush grip would fail but I would complete the rep or even do another rep with the tips of my fingers (~285 LBS) , I got GORILLA TIPS.

VID_20180408_184918.mp4

You might be especially good at the Ironmind hub or similar (google Ironmind hub), and also maybe pinching plates.  Keep in mind though, for plate pinches you need plates with a fully flat side so that the smooth side is out and there is nothing to hook your fingers around.  There is a good post somewhere on here where people discussed the relative difficulty of plate pinches, which may vary some with the thickness of the plates and the size of a person's hands, but might look like this, from easier to harder (these are for one hand):  2 25s, 4 10s, 2 35s, 5 10s, 3 25s, 2 45s, 6 10s, 3 35s (up to 5 10s is my order of perceived difficulty for me, and everything after 5 10s is just a guess for me because I can't do those and like I said, it may vary anyway).   Watch lots of grip and pinch vids!  They are all over here and YouTube.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diabolical said:

Just joined the forum. I got into grip stuff about 3 weeks ago after getting my CoC 1.5. Been into fitness and basic finger or hand exercises casually (or not so casually) before then though. I can almost close it, a bit past parallel.

What would you call this finger tip lift? 52.5 lbs DB lifted by the inner plate lip. My thumb is weak compared to my fingers, I would do finger tip pull ups on my door frame (minimal thumb support) and  can do finger tip push ups with the tips propped rather than collapsed flat in over-extension. What grip exercises would I be good at? I saw something with a ring, I think it was a finger tip exercise. I know I'd be able to do that if the "bull ring" is a deadlift; when I used to go to the gym my full crush grip would fail but I would complete the rep or even do another rep with the tips of my fingers (~285 LBS) , I got GORILLA TIPS.

VID_20180408_184918.mp4

Cannot view this video bro... you have to upload it to you tube and then copy and paste the link in your post to view.

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Cannot view this video bro... you have to upload it to you tube and then copy and paste the link in your post to view

It played on my computer - it was a dumbbell bar with 50+ pounds loaded onto it, and he grabbed the plates on one side and lifted the dumbbell.  It wasn't really a standard "plate pinch" because it wasn't two flat sides of plates, and because he wasn't pinching at the center of gravity, but that was the closest thing I'd say it resembled.  My guess is that the difficulty level would be similar to pinching 4 tens, because it was more grippable but heavier and off-center.  He should try 4 tens, which might be a little more challenge because of the slippage of the loose smooth plates but probably doable, and I think from his description of his fingertip strength he should also try the hub.  Just my two cents.

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

You might be especially good at the Ironmind hub or similar (google Ironmind hub), and also maybe pinching plates.  Keep in mind though, for plate pinches you need plates with a fully flat side so that the smooth side is out and there is nothing to hook your fingers around.  There is a good post somewhere on here where people discussed the relative difficulty of plate pinches, which may vary some with the thickness of the plates and the size of a person's hands, but might look like this, from easier to harder (these are for one hand):  2 25s, 4 10s, 2 35s, 5 10s, 3 25s, 2 45s, 6 10s, 3 35s (up to 5 10s is my order of perceived difficulty for me, and everything after 5 10s is just a guess for me because I can't do those and like I said, it may vary anyway).   Watch lots of grip and pinch vids!  They are all over here and YouTube.

Definitely a good starting point with the order of difficulty; 3-25s were harder for me to do than the 2-45s but its relative for the person. Best way to test grip strength is to find somewhere that has a variety of the implements. Where are you located?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lucasraymond said:

3-25s were harder for me to do than the 2-45s

I have tried each one once, and could not hop either of them, so I just guessed.  I would imagine that for someone with huge hands, the 3 25s could be easier because it is less weight, but I guess the width and the need to keep the middle plate from falling makes it enough harder that it makes up for it weighing less.  My main goal is the MM1 and the COC 3 IM cert, but I would also like to work up to either or both of these two goals and to a 200 Euro pinch.

Yeah I never trained wide pinch except for blobs but performed the euro at 50-58mm which is pretty similar to 2-45s so just the specificity of training definitely helped. Now that I am training for the IM blockbuster I could probably do the 3-25s easier. 

• Like 1

I don't have the thumb strength for pinches really, just the 4 finger tips. I didn't use my thumb in the DB lift @Vinnie. I'm working on it though. I just tried pinching the plates and could do 5 x 5 lbs in each hand, but 6 was too much. Maybe in a couple weeks. I'm aiming to beat all of your records hhhehehhehe.
I don't have 4 x 10 lbs but I could get some more plates. Would rather use what I have now since letting equipment go to waste while one keeps buying more just twists my shit up, ruins my motivation somewhat. I have a couple of 2.5 plates that are smooth, that's it at the moment. Besides pinch, I have a 5'5 pinch point bar, 18 lbs, that I can use. Skinny at one end, widens then turns into a cube/square at the last 1'6". And a rock, 15 lbs, shape good for "brick lift" type of stuff and all-around pinch grip training.

I tried putting the 2.5's on the end of 2 10's and NOPE. Can do 1 10 with the 2 2.5s. I'm in the 15 lb club. No chalk and the 10s are THICC so who knows.

I'll check out the rest of the forum now.

Edited by Diabolical
Misweighed the stone.