Gripper malfunction?

Booze

Something seems to be going on with one of my COC grippers. The handles are no longer aligned, meaning if I close it, one of the handles is higher than the other by a pretty decent margin. It was never like this before, and I’ve only had it for maybe 6 months. It’s also making a creaking noise, and seems a little easier to close (as much as I’d like to credit my strength for that I don’t think that’s it lol). I didn’t think it was possible for a COC handle to shift, but that has to be what happened? Is this common? I’m kinda leery it’s goign to snap on me if I keep using it. I’ll try to get a picture of it if that helps.

I’d love to see a photo. If you can get a video of the close it might be helpful to pinpoint what if anything is happening. 

Here’s a pic, not the greatest but you can see how they are uneven

8798A6FC-DD5D-4332-A9ED-6E6A798FD536.jpeg

Get a hold of IronMind - I'm sure they will take care of it.

They must not make quality #4s these days....

lol just kidding it’s a 1.5

Heres another where you can actually see a marking on the spring where possibly the handle dropped down? (The right side)

38CFEB34-7364-429A-8E83-BF84CD904451.jpeg

Edited by Booze
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Get a hold of IronMind - I'm sure they will take care of it.

Thanks, I’ll probably do that. I stupidly tried banging the handle on the ground thinking it might move back up, but all that did was scuff up the bottom of the handle lol

First time a see this actually. It's not uncommon that handles are a bit misalligned (on other brands) to start with but I have never seen the epoxy fail on Ironmind grippers before. 

29 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

First time a see this actually. It's not uncommon that handles are a bit misalligned (on other brands) to start with but I have never seen the epoxy fail on Ironmind grippers before. 

The weird thing is after taking a closer look at my T and #1, they are also misaligned, just not quite to the extent of the one in the pic. But it’s noticable. I don’t know what the hell is going on!

8 minutes ago, Booze said:

The weird thing is after taking a closer look at my T and #1, they are also misaligned, just not quite to the extent of the one in the pic. But it’s noticable. I don’t know what the hell is going on!

In what type of environment do you store your grippers?

7 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

In what type of environment do you store your grippers?

They are all just kept in a box in my bedroom

Edited by Booze

They may have been made on a Monday or Friday. In all seriousness, Randall at IM will most likely take care of it. He has remedied an issue for me before.  

We unpackage more IM grippers than probably close to anyone.  I have to say I'm seeing increased occurrences of misaligned handles (which I call peg leg).  Some we've even had to sell at a discount in the Used Gripper section because they were so far off.  Overall I agree that this is highly uncharacteristic of IronMind and, in general, not a concern.      

Looking at your gripper, obviously I can't say for certain, but they were probably always that way and you just didn't notice.  The only reason I say that is you're not saying the handle is loose now.  The epoxy glue in the handle doesn't really function as you describe.  That it could be solid, somehow become a consistency that would allow the handle to slip, then become solid again.  I'm not even sure that would happen if you were purposefully blowtorching the handle.  If the gripper knocked into something REALLY hard--hard enough to knock the handle down like that--the glue is going to fail entirely.  You'd be able to slide the handle off the spring. 

Anyway, I agree with the advice above.  Hit up IronMind customer service.  I'm not sure what their policy is, but I do know they are helpful.   

Yeah that makes sense about the glue. It’s just weird that multiple grippers of mine would be like this, I mean we’re talking 3 out of 6 and now I’m even thinking the #2 might be a little off as well. Given what you said about encountering them, maybe I’m just really unlucky. I could swear though that the one in the pic (the 1.5) was not like this before. Who knows, I can’t say for sure 100%. I don’t always actually look at the gripper closing. I just was today as I was doing mini reps, and really noticed how far off the handles were each rep. I think it looked worse than what the picture I posted shows.

I wouldn’t really care, if not for the fact something feels off when I get near the close. It gets more creaky sounding to the point I get the feeling it could break. 

Edited by Booze