Barriers to entering a FIT EXPO contest

riccardomagni

Hi everyone.

This is a serious post.  I am trying to figure out what barriers exist (if any) to enter a FIT EXPO grip contest.  As of today, there are only 4 people entered in the Philadelphia FIT EXPO contest on April 28-29.

Typically the Chicago event has had a very low turnout.  This year, the Florida venue also had a low turnout.

I'm curious to hear why people aren't entering these contests.  There appears to be a whole lot of grip competitors that compete on the East Coast as evidenced by the SJ4 turnout.

Please let me know why you haven't or won't enter...

Thanks for your time.

Riccardo

• Like 1

I'm around 68kg so the lack of a lighter weight class is the only thing keeping me from entering. 

• Like 2

I could be totally off base on this because I haven't followed the expos that much but I'm thinking these reasons might cause the low attendance:

1) The guys who show up are usually pretty elite and huge from what I remember (like that 6'10" mountain of a man who just certified on the 3.5) and I don't remember there being many weight classes (like 2-3 from what i remember). So going up against these guys might not appeal to the smaller guys on this board. Not many people what to travel to a comp and have no chance to be competitive. A lot of the comps here on the board attract more local gym rats (I consider myself a gym rat/weekend warrior so no offense guys) who love to lift but can’t compete against guys who look like pro strongmen.  

2) I remember the expos have lot of thickbar events (dis-proportionally so). which again favors big guys with big hands. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

2 days for a grip event is bit too long and costly if you don’t live close.

• Like 2

A lot of people will go/not go based on events. You can look at the events that are used in the most popular contests and see a difference between those events and the expos. Not many folks like the RT due to equipment inconsistency and many prefer not to use the axle due to back issues.

• Like 2

The above four posts cover the bulk of the reasons I’ve heard in the past.

One thing that I like to try to dispel is the notion that the Rolling Thunder is inconsistent from one device to another (or more so than other implements). I’m not saying that the RT is perfect, but I’ve competed with about 10 different ones, and I haven’t noticed any inconsistencies. I’ve noticed way more inconsistencies with some other events.

• Like 1

I agree with previous posts... Even for me, looking through MILO seeing some of the numbers putting up, kinda makes me weary... I'm using Jedd's event this week as a feeler if I should enter Philly expo. Travel isn't a problem, future sister in law lives outside of Philadelphia 

3 hours ago, riccardomagni said:

Hi everyone.

This is a serious post.  I am trying to figure out what barriers exist (if any) to enter a FIT EXPO grip contest.  As of today, there are only 4 people entered in the Philadelphia FIT EXPO contest on April 28-29.

Typically the Chicago event has had a very low turnout.  This year, the Florida venue also had a low turnout.

I'm curious to hear why people aren't entering these contests.  There appears to be a whole lot of grip competitors that compete on the East Coast as evidenced by the SJ4 turnout.

Please let me know why you haven't or won't enter...

Thanks for your time.

Riccardo

I am going to try to do it Riccardo if I could get down there. Sounds like a blast and some great events. I am not intimidated by pro strongmen or any potentially enhanced people.....any event I would enter is me against me anyway.... actually makes it more interesting to me being a lifetime drug free lifter to see how I rate against others who may or may not be geared up. Not saying any or all are.... but the possibility is there. I agree with @Chez on a lot of the reasons most grip board guys don’t do the expos as it could be very intimidating. Myself being 6’4 and 265-270 am also considered smallish in these iron mind events.

Edited by Guest
Add on

1 hour ago, JStepien said:

I agree with previous posts... Even for me, looking through MILO seeing some of the numbers putting up, kinda makes me weary... I'm using Jedd's event this week as a feeler if I should enter Philly expo. Travel isn't a problem, future sister in law lives outside of Philadelphia 

John.... you have nothing to worry about brother. You are very very strong and would be very competitive my man. I am very impressed with your thick bar ability brother... you would hang with the best of them.

2 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

2 days for a grip event is bit too long and costly if you don’t live close.

Agreed Mike on the 2 days of the event. I live 4.5 hours away and will have to get a hotel, plus gas and food.... that’s a pricey endeavor for something I know I have no chance to win.... but that wouldn’t be what it’s about for me....I would do it for the fun of it....but money is always an object of contention.

10 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Agreed Mike on the 2 days of the event. I live 4.5 hours away and will have to get a hotel, plus gas and food.... that’s a pricey endeavor for something I know I have no chance to win.... but that wouldn’t be what it’s about for me....I would do it for the fun of it....but money is always an object of contention.

Totally agree. The venue from my place, it's a hour & 15 minutes... from my future sister & brother in law it's 30 minutes... Hopefully, it's not bad

Just now, JStepien said:

Totally agree. The venue from my place, it's a hour & 15 minutes... from my future sister & brother in law it's 30 minutes... Hopefully, it's not bad

My family lives in Staten Island.... but that’s still 75 miles away for a 2 day event

Regarding the lack of entries to date, I think this might be in part due to the lack of incentive for early registration. Competitors have until April 15th to sign up (for the same registration fee). Many might not want to commit this far in advance if there's no need for it.

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I am going to try to do it Riccardo if I could get down there. Sounds like a blast and some great events. I am not intimidated by pro strongmen or any potentially enhanced people.....any event I would enter is me against me anyway.... actually makes it more interesting to me being a lifetime drug free lifter to see how I rate against others who may or may not be geared up. Not saying any or all are.... but the possibility is there. I agree with @Chez on a lot of the reasons most grip board guys don’t do the expos as it could be very intimidating. Myself being 6’4 and 265-270 am also considered smallish in these iron mind events.

Yep. I’m 6’2 and 280 which is big for grip board comps but I see guys well north of 300 at some of these expos. I feel the expo comps need even more weight classes because of some of the monsters who show up. I also think they need experience classes like “elite” and “open” which we have experimented with at grip board comps 

Edited by Chez

Some guys who compete in the fit expo events are quite big, but in my experience, relatively few have well-rounded grip strength. With the contests increasingly featuring diverse events, well-rounded gripsters who aren't quite so heavy will become increasingly competitive. 

• Like 1

What are the events at this venue?   I did a very quick search but didn't see them listed.

Thanks to everyone that shared their thoughts.  I really appreciate it.  They definitely give me new perspective...

As for reasons to try it, don't necessarily worry about what the other guys are doing and instead focus on what you can do in the competition environment.  That's what keep me coming back for more.  And if you are persistent, over time you will see your results increase.

Thanks again, guys!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I hope that you can make it!  You have a lot of passion for the sport.  Plus you are very strong.  

1 minute ago, riccardomagni said:

Thanks to everyone that shared their thoughts.  I really appreciate it.  They definitely give me new perspective...

As for reasons to try it, don't necessarily worry about what the other guys are doing and instead focus on what you can do in the competition environment.  That's what keep me coming back for more.  And if you are persistent, over time you will see your results increase.

Thanks again, guys!

Yes that’s a very good outlook. It’s you against you. Do the best you can to beat your former PR.... and see how it goes. Do it for the love of the game and not the hope of the trophy. Many people will see the train pass by and look back and say if I only did this or did that.... and have regrets. I don’t want that in my life. I want to look back and say I tried it, had a blast, and would not change a thing!

39 minutes ago, JStepien said:

@riccardomagni a certain someone signed up this morning...

It will be great to meet you.  I'm sure that you will do well!!  Good luck this weekend at Jedd's contest.

I signed up yesterday; from what I know it is possible that Jedd, myself, Big Joe Sullivan, and possibly Storm Chellino are going to compete. I suck at thickbar and havent touched a hub in about a year so I wish LBH was an event. 

• Like 2