King Kong Survey

Andrew P

5 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

What is a "Holle-It-Up"? I've never heard of that before. Any videos of it somewhere?

A 'Holle-It-Up' was a thick handled dumbbell that used to be sold by IronMind - it was copied from Nathan's dumbbell handle, basically the same sized handle as the Inch, but the dumbbell bar passed through it at an offset so it created 'torque' when you lifted it - you could have it positioned so most of the weight was on your thumb...I was lucky enough to train with the original (which was very rusty) when I visited Nathan and his Brothers.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I'm not great at setting.  I can TNS my hard 2.5 (132) but I have yet to close my average 3 (150) even with my best set.

Not to hijack...just brought this to mind...

• Like 1

I assume that is you.  And that is why you are a COC and I am a mere mortal MM0 lol.  But I will get to the COC -- I'm determined!

1 minute ago, Vinnie said:

I assume that is you.  And that is why you are a COC and I am a mere mortal MM0 lol.  But I will get to the COC -- I'm determined!

nah, that is a guy who use to be active on the board but no longer. He is certified on the #3 though. I'll counter Nate and say that guy didn't go on to close very big grippers. I stand by my statement that MMS training is important if you want to go really far.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Just now, Vinnie said:

Lol.  Good one.  Aaron Farley was a TNS beast.  He 2nd consistently 1/8" from TNSing the 3.5 we he disappeared.

• Like 1

He was also 6'3" and like 300 lbs...........didn't hurt 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

nah, that is a guy who use to be active on the board but no longer. He is certified on the #3 though. I'll counter Nate and say that guy didn't go on to close very big grippers. I said by my statement that MMS training is important if you want to go really far.

I have no idea what I actually said to counter.  

But...while I'm here...I'll point out Aaron barely trained grippers.  God knows what talented people could do if they had motivation to match.

• Like 1

Just now, anwnate said:

But...while I'm here...I'll point out Aaron barely trained grippers.  God knows what talented people could do if they had motivation to match.

he was def strong. my point I think learning to set is important. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

he was def strong. my point I think learning to set is important. 

Apparently...not to "he who shalt not be named." :D

Just now, anwnate said:

Actually, that is something I've thought about -- if grip sports suddenly became an olympic event and the whole world started trying to cert on the 3 or pull on the little big horn, would any of us (other than John McCarter) still look any good?  Or would the competition suddenly become so fierce we'd all find out (except McCarter) that we were just a little above average and only looked good because hardly anyone was really trying?  lol  Anyway, regardless of rankings, I'm having a blast and getting stronger than I ever was, even at almost 50, so I'll take it.

Its definitely a small group of us training grip. There are tons of guys out there who don't know about it that would be great if they tried it and trained. That is why we find freaks every now and then. Like Someone that tries the inch and they lift it first try etc. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Just imagine if Brian Shaw focused on grip and all of the implements. We would all be fighting for 2nd place records on every implement. 

• Like 1

best example is Jason Bergmann who was a strongman competitor who tried bending horseshoes and blew all the best benders out of the water with just a little technique help and those guys had been bending for years.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Climber028 said:

Just imagine if Brian Shaw focused on grip and all of the implements. We would all be fighting for 2nd place records on every implement. 

Except for the greatest lift of all time.  The great hand size equalizer.  The lift that has BY FAR the most real world carryover...  THE STUB!  I didn't choose the stub life.  The stub life chose me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Chez said:

best example is Jason Bergmann who was a strongman competitor who tried bending horseshoes and blew all the best benders out of the water with just a little technique help and those guys had been bending for years.  

Sadly, I sold him the DVD and gave him the tips that made my best bends look pathetic.  :laugh

Great guy.  Literally took him two months to bend horseshoes nobody had ever come close to.  However, I do believe it pushed @David_wigren and me to bend harder shoes than we would have without him.  He increased what everyone thought was now "possible."

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Except for the greatest lift of all time.  The great hand size equalizer.  The lift that has BY FAR the most real world carryover...  THE STUB!  I didn't choose the stub life.  The stub life chose me.

I have never seen a stub.  Pic?  Link?  I'm still learning.

2 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Sadly, I sold him the DVD and gave him the tips that made my best bends look pathetic.  :laugh

Great guy.  Literally took him two months to bend horseshoes nobody had ever come close to.  However, I do believe it pushed @David_wigren and I to bend harder shoes than we would have without him.  He increased what everyone thought was now "possible."

Same thing would happen if I showed gripper technique to one those monsters and they trained hard like me. They would blow my best gripper closes out of the water.

• Like 1

I would post a pic, but it's like Mohammed.  No images or they have to kill you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Apparently...not to "he who shalt not be named." :D

Was that meant for me?😛.... once TNS stops my progress, meaning if I feel I can’t go any further I will start setting. Until then I’m sticking with TNS and NS. That is if that was meant for me. If not... then my  mistake.😉

22 minutes ago, Chez said:

Its definitely a small group of us training grip. There are tons of guys out there who don't know about it that would be great if they tried it and trained. That is why we find freaks every now and then. Like Someone that tries the inch and they lift it first try etc. 

@Gingernaut / Jay up here is the same way. Blobs, Inch, etc. were all done the first time seeing them or very shortly after. Having a good grip to start with (500# per hand farmers walks as one example) tends to help at grip sport.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Was that meant for me?😛.... once TNS stops my progress, meaning if I feel I can’t go any further I will start setting. Until then I’m sticking with TNS and NS. That is if that was meant for me. If not... then my  mistake.😉

Yes...absolutely meant for you.

Now that this thread is 100% derailed...it should be renamed random gripboard thoughts. :)

7 minutes ago, terminal said:

@Vinnie One of David Horne's GripTopz. You can see it here:

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/shop.html#griptopz2

I love it. Others hate it profoundly.

Oh that's adorable.  I have to try it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Oh that's adorable.  I have to try it.

I trained on it for a week and my power lifting total went up by 200 lbs.  Be careful, or you might be buying new clothes to contain the swole.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Yes...absolutely meant for you.

Now that this thread is 100% derailed...it should be renamed random gripboard thoughts. :)

I figured it was. Sorry if Vinnie and I got off track and “derailed “ the thread, It happens sometimes. As for the TNS.... like I said... if I need my other hand to help pre close a gripper I don’t think I should be closing it. Just my personal opinion and no downplay to anyone else that does it. Some may not agree nor care... we all have opinions. I for one value others opinions... but may not agree.😉