New To Griping

The Vampire Lestat

Hi, I am new to grip training and was wondering which CoC I should start with, the trainer or the #1. What kind of weight should I be doing on something like Farmer's walk in order to close the #1. I am 20 years old and around 150lb if that maters.

Thank you for your time.

Guest PineAway

I'd say if you can afford both the trainer and the number 1, get em both. If you can only afford one? Hm, I'd say it depends. Do you have any prior grip training? Work at a job such as carpentering, masonry, construction, etc etc where you have to work with your hands? Do you lift normal weights, and are you what might be considered 'strong'? If you can answer yes to one of the previous questions get the #1. If not, and your just starting grip training get the trainer. This is all just my opinion though, I could be wrong.

As for farmers walks, use a weight that is pretty heavy, that you can walk with. Obviously it wont be a weight that you can do curls with or anything. My personal farmers walks routine is...

I set up two benches about 20 feet apart to set the weight on(as long as the gym isnt crowded). I do this because I find it easier than dead lifting off the floor each time.

65lb each hand, down to one bench, and set it on bench. Wait about 2-3 minutes and back down. I repeat this process with 80pounds and then 95pounds. This is just what I am capable of, if you can do walks with 200 pounds each hand, then by all means DO IT! This is just my personal routine, others may recommend something diferent.

Another few ideas for farmers walks... I think Poliquin(sp?) recommends farmers walks for 100-200m. Another idea I think is worth a try is doing farmers walks with the "Tabata" intervals. Thats where you do 8 reps of picking the weight up and walking as FAST as you can for 20 seconds, setting them down and resting for 10 seconds(thats one rep) and repeating for the 8 reps. I haven't tried this, but I most deffinately will try this routine for my farmers walks sometime in the futute, sounds killer.

Hope I've helped. Best of luck in training and all other challenges the day brings :rock:mosher

Edited by PineAway

If your hands are on the smaller side less than 8 inches in length (measured from first crease in wrist to your longest finger) I'd get another gripper than CoC. Don't get me wrong I love my Coc's but they tend to be wider and harder get your hand around, especially for somebody just starting out. I know Barbaran makes 'em norrower, and so does PDA and Warren Tetting.

My hands are 8 inches in length and so my grippers from Warren and PDA fit my hand better. I would also recommend looking at past posts on grippers; You will find that there many different levels than 1-4, this is VERY important!

-HH

i would get the #1 because most likely you would close the trainer right off the bat or in a week, so you should get something that would be hard for you and you would gain strength that way.

Get the Trainer and the #1. If you get a #1 you can't close, then you'll have the Trainer gripper to train on in order to do it. I still use my Trainer and #1 even today - also, don't forget the fact you can CHALLENGE others to try and close your grippers and see what kind of hand strength that they have! ;):D

i agree with sybersnott, i also use the trainer every workout for practicin my set. it dont rip skin off and you can really see/feel where your sweet spot is. plus youll end up gittin one to complete the set anyhow