Key points for strict plate curls :)

David_wigren

Just shot a quick video going over a few points for doing strict plate curls. Now, training is training and each to their own. But having a long history of doing plate curls I know that I have personally gotten the most out of the exercise while doing them strict in this fashion. Also, if it were ever to be done in a competition setting, an execution like this is probably the way to go. A point I missed to talk about in the video is obviously momentum, but that should go without saying :) Stay strong my friends.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

Just shot a quick video going over a few points for doing strict plate curls. Now, training is training and each to their own. But having a long history of doing plate curls I know that I have personally gotten the most out of the exercise while doing them strict in this fashion. Also, if it were ever to be done in a competition setting, an execution like this is probably the way to go. A point I missed to talk about in the video is obviously momentum, but that should go without saying :) Stay strong my friends.

You’re speaking my language big Dave! Glad I’ve had inspired you! Thick bar and wrist feats are my favorite!

8 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

You’re speaking my language big Dave! Glad I’ve had inspired you! Thick bar and wrist feats are my favorite!

Haha, I also did some coc #2 TNS work but I was having a bit of an off day so I didn’t post anything about it XD. Was hoping to do a few sets of 10 but was struggling to do sets of 5.  

Yes, you do seem to have a talent for it! 

10 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

Haha, I also did some coc #2 TNS work but I was having a bit of an off day so I didn’t post anything about it XD. Was hoping to do a few sets of 10 but was struggling to do sets of 5.  

Yes, you do seem to have a talent for it! 

TNS is all I do. If you can TNS then you can close them in any style. I can’t bring myself to do pre close sets. To each their own but I am a purist when it comes to any strength feats. I don’t settle for anything that makes it easier. I can  tell you my TNS gripping has had a lot of carryover into all my other grip exercises. I think my wrist strengthening stuff has given me an edge with all other grip disciplines. I think it helped me with lifting the inch very quickly. Wrist is key for grip! 

Edited by Guest

11 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

TNS is all I do. If you can TNS then you can close them in any style. I can’t bring myself to do pre close sets. To each their own but I am a purist when it comes to any strength feats. I don’t settle for anything that makes it easier. I can  tell you my TNS gripping has had a lot of carryover into all my other grip exercises. I think my wrist strengthening stuff has given me an edge with all other grip disciplines. I think it helped me with lifting the inch very quickly. Wrist is key for grip! 

I like all the different types of sets, all from TNS to super narrow. However, I think I might have broken my middle finger in september. It didn’t really bother me enough to go and check it. But now the tip of my middle finger is oddly shaped just over the last joint and I noticed that closing grippers from a deep set hurts like a bitch. Fortunately CCS and TNS closes doesn’t seem to affect it at all.

I’ve only tried the Inch once a few years back. I managed to get it to float a bit over the ground. Couldn’t get it to a full lockout, it was to heavy for me. It would be cool to be able to lift it some time in the future.

I still can't even do a strict curl with a 25 but it's close, so for the weak people like me don't forget to train the negative. Just lift up with both hands then lower with the one as slow and controlled as possible, we're much stronger in eccentric loading compared to concentric. 

Excellent demonstration, David! I’ve always been of the opinion that the wrist should be straight throughout the movement. Allowing the wrist to bend back takes away from the spirit and purpose of the lift (my opinion). I think there are people who can curl a 45-lb plate with their wrist bent, but can’t do a strict curl with a 35. The only person I’ve seen do a near strict curl with a 45 is Adam Glass. Anyone know of any others?

• Like 1

Very nice David! And very strong really. As for the momentum I assume you mean NOT to do it. Right?

4 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Very nice David! And very strong really. As for the momentum I assume you mean NOT to do it. Right?

Yes exactly, little to no momentum!

• Like 1