Dumbest Things You Have Done in Grip That You Do NOT Recommend

Bill Piche

1. Starting grip training to late.

2. To much testing not training.

3. Not bilding a base.

4. Just doing grippers.

As a beginner these answers are extremely valuable and I really appreciate all of the input. I'm trying to vary my training and not overdue any aspect, and not maxing out lifts unless in competition. 

• 2 weeks later...

You can certainly try max for a lot of things, watch for skin tears, but don't base your training only on that. Get reps and holds in, time under tension is the key.

• 3 weeks later...

-Doing to much to often.  --Not specializing on what grip I wanted to strengthen the most.  ( I specialized for the deadlift, but didn't for grip...stupid )

Biggest mistake..Not training the surrounding muscles of the forearm.  My grip was stronger in relation to the supporting muscles.  I should have worked my flexors and extensors, pronation/supination hard darning the early days, but never did.  I am surprised I got my grip to a good level I did, but after a long time, my elbow ( extensors/pronation/sup) could not handle it anymore and my elbow, more in  my weaker arm was killing for almost a year, until I figured out how to fix it on my own.  So now am doing a lot more work for extensors/pron/supinate/ etc and my pain is gone. 

Rest is good, epically when u get past 30 or 40 years old.  I know it sux to rest and not do anything in relation to training, but as one ages, you must change everything your doing. So even if you rest from grip/weights, just do something else to keep active. Get more into cardio which is one best things I did, cardio is much underated in training. To many myths that are crap.  Even some serious walking can go a long way to keep healthy.

• Like 1