Rolling Thunder Hold Times

gollan

When you are doing "timed holds" on rolling thunder, how long to you hold? Someone mentioned the other day "pulling xxx" on RT. I'm wondering what that actually means. I've been holding for twenty, fifteen, and ten seconds (nominally). It is amazing how long ten seconds can feel when your forearms are on fire. I've been taking it very, very easy on RT due to my KTA training but still the gains have been comming fast.

I'd go for around five seconds as heavy as possible for some singles and then do a final set with a lighter weight and go as long as possible.

Depends on the weight. You can hold onto, say 100 pounds, longer than you could 150# or even 200#.

Depends on the weight. You can hold onto, say 100 pounds, longer than you could 150# or even 200#.

Beautiful statement of the obvious, Snott!! I think what Gollan was after was how long SHOULD you hold it for....

It depends on your goal. There is no right way to train it as far as duration is concerned. That said, if someone says (s)he pulled xxx on the RT, (s)he probably means that it was a max single. Of course, people vary in their definition of a 'good' lift too so...

BC.

A second or two for a max attempt; just long enough to make sure it is a good lockout and in control; then set it back down.

I agree with Adam. 5 second holds, doing lots of singles, and lower the weight under control, don't drop it.

I do my timed holds for about 5 to 10 seconds with my heaviest. A question does this build just supporting strength or does it build crushing also?

I can see a time and place for long hold times. However, to some extent I see that like saying I do all my squats with a 5 second pause at the bottom; therefore I have to use 200 lbs less than I could squat otherwise; or I always hold my grippers shut for 10 seconds, therefore I only go up to the #2 even though I could use the #3.

I have had great results getting my max strength up by basically picking it up, holding it for a second and then putting it back down to add weight. If you can hold it for 10 seconds, why not just put it down and add some weight? Like I said, I can see a place for those longer holds, but do not think that is the best way to increase the amount of weight you can use on rolling thunder--afterall, isn't that the idea?

Like I said, I can see a place for those longer holds, but do not think that is the best way to increase the amount of weight you can use on rolling thunder--afterall, isn't that the idea?

I agree, but again, it's all about goals. Long holds are probably not the best way to increase the max weight you can use, but one can increase the weight one uses doing a 10 second hold just as someone can do the same doing the 'contest' style of lift you mentioned previously. When you can hold the weight for 10 seconds you add weight and try to hold it for another 10 seconds before adding weight again. When you can hold the weight for 1-2 seconds you add weight and try to hold it for another 1-2 seconds before adding weight again. For me, as a competitor, I'd train it the way you do because that will likely produce a heavier lift at competition time, which, in this example, is the goal.

BC.