Captains of Crush #3 Certification Video

MurrayStrongman

1 hour ago, Geralt said:

Thanks for taking time to explain. 
That is a pretty much balls to the wall approach for me ha! Specially with the #4 negative in it. I do like the pretty straight forward approach. 
What kind of sets do you do for the warm ups? I saw you didn't set the gripper that much for your certification, you just the pushed to handles a bit in place without squeezing it deeper down first, like most do. Do you do parallel sets for instance? Or just the width that feels easiest. 

Last question, what do you see as a negative? Asking this because they can be executed in many ways, like resisting opening and trying to fight it closed, which is different than just let it open in a controlled way for 2 seconds or so. 

Yeah...it can be hard to find a new approach when you are stalling. For ideas, Carlos Rivera Pagan, a very strong guy over here (not active atm) certed the 3.5 pretty easy and he trained with a gripmachine, as in plateloader. Maybe that can give you a complete different approach for gripper training? If you want I can give you his training approach for that. He also used grippers btw in that approach. 

Warm ups I do a few singles on the #1 and #2 then 1-2 on the #3. 

I occasionally throw in a few sets of parallel sets in my warm up but my thought is that if you are training to certify the majority of your work should be from a credit card set. 

No special reason I don't set it deeper, that's just what I've found works for me. 

For my negatives I do use a deep, almost parallel set then use my quad as a brace to close it all the way then fight it as hard as I can as it opens. 

I'd definitely be interested in seeing Carlos's approach. Even if I don't use the whole thing I might find a few things to change up my training. 

• Thanks 1

Send you a PM sir. Not that it's secret, but it's pretty long and in pm it's easier to keep and read back. 

• Like 1

Did I read that you typically train grippers 6 times a week??!? Thats incredible man - how often do you train negatives and strap holds?

36 minutes ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Did I read that you typically train grippers 6 times a week??!? Thats incredible man - how often do you train negatives and strap holds?

Yes sir, 6 days a week most weeks. Occasionally I'll do a back down week and only hit 3-4 workouts a week but most weeks its 6 days a week with the grippers. I hit strap holds and negatives every work out. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MurrayStrongnan said:

Yes sir, 6 days a week most weeks. Occasionally I'll do a back down week and only hit 3-4 workouts a week but most weeks its 6 days a week with the grippers. I hit strap holds and negatives every work out. 

wow. The further I progressed with grippers and the greater the intensity of my training, I needed more and more rest. I currently training grippers once every 2 weeks. 

38 minutes ago, MurrayStrongnan said:

This is the week of seeing how unorthodox training works well for some with extremely high frequency in Murray's example and extremely low reps in Morgan's method.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terminal said:

This is the week of seeing how unorthodox training works well for some with extremely high frequency in Murray's example and extremely low reps in Morgan's method.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

wow. The further I progressed with grippers and the greater the intensity of my training, I needed more and more rest. I currently training grippers once every 2 weeks. 

I didn't realize that what I did would be considered high frequency, it's just how I've always trained them. They're a lot of fun for me so I want to train them all the time lol. 

Speculating on why the high frequency works for me, I wrestled for 15+ years in the NCAA and internationally. Wrestling uses a ton of grip and wrestling practice was a daily thing so I'm sure the muscles in my hands and wrist adapted to high frequency training. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MurrayStrongnan said:

I didn't realize that what I did would be considered high frequency, it's just how I've always trained them. They're a lot of fun for me so I want to train them all the time lol. 

Speculating on why the high frequency works for me, I wrestled for 15+ years in the NCAA and internationally. Wrestling uses a ton of grip and wrestling practice was a daily thing so I'm sure the muscles in my hands and wrist adapted to high frequency training. 

I would consider what you posted to be very low volume, though, even though it's high frequency. 

As a comparison, my last single gripper workout had 108 reps, not including my warm up.  You're only hitting 102 reps over 6 days including warm ups.  That's 17 total reps per workout.  I do understand the intensity factor with negatives, over-crushes and strap holds.  I'm also not saying either way is better, just comparing for the sake of analysis.  It shows how your approach allows the higher frequency due to the really low volume.  I like it.  There are tons of ways to train and get strong.  :D  It usually takes me a good 3-4 days before I feel like I can train grippers again, but my volume demands that lower frequency. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I would consider what you posted to be very low volume, though, even though it's high frequency. 

As a comparison, my last single gripper workout had 108 reps, not including my warm up.  You're only hitting 102 reps over 6 days including warm ups.  That's 17 total reps per workout.  I do understand the intensity factor with negatives, over-crushes and strap holds.  I'm also not saying either way is better, just comparing for the sake of analysis.  It shows how your approach allows the higher frequency due to the really low volume.  I like it.  There are tons of ways to train and get strong.  :D  It usually takes me a good 3-4 days before I feel like I can train grippers again, but my volume demands that lower frequency. 

That's a ton of reps! Just expanding on that math you're hitting more the 3x the number of reps I am over a 12 day period.  Am I correct in assuming that you're doing multiple reps in a set and not all singles? I'd be interested to see what your program looks like.