Where To Start

Guest Tarw

This is my first post so a little background may not be amiss. I'm from Wales, UK. I'm a 260lb bodybuilder but also very keen on powerlifting, strength sports generally. I'm getting excited about developing my grip, it's like a whole new area of training to me.

I've got into grip a little through powerlifting, it's the limiting factor on my deadlift at the moment (300kgs). I got a CoC No 1 and can crush it a few times, got the No 2 and can't get anywhere near it.

I suppose I've got two questions -

1. What training should I be doing to further my grip work (just the deads and the CoC once a week ATM)

2. What advice generally would you give to someone who is new to the grip game.

Guest gripmaster316

Try working on the CoC's 3 times to every day of the week. You might also want to think about purchasing the KTA program.

Tarw

Welcome,were abouts in WALES are you from,you have some of the strongest people right on your doorstep mate,Chris James and the Holle Brothers are also WELSH and if you start takeing after them,im gonna move there and drink the water. :D

My advice would be work the grippers 2-3 times a week for about a month to get a base and toughen the hands. Then switch to higher volume. Also work the thumbs 3 times a week using static and dynamic exercises. A little wrist work wouldn't hurt either 3 times a week.

Plate curls and plate wrist curls should fit in nicely to your routine. Welcome to the best place on the net for grip info!!

Jon@han

welcome to the gripboard, since your a DLer you should go with a lighter weight and pull it up and just hold it

Welcome aboard Tarw. You'll find searching through past posts to be very helpful as well.

After warming up with your lightest gripper, do a few negatives with your #2, followed up by a set or two of maximum reps on your #1. Training a couple of times per week should be about right.

Well, if you are after increasing your supporting grip, holds with the CoC's work. But the best thing to do is partial deads with heavy heavy weight holding for time.

Yes, Bearcat is right. Sorry, I strayed off course and failed to realise you may be after only increasing your holding strength for deads. But grippers will also help in this department, and particularly when trained for holds in the closed position. Thumb training, in the form of pinching plates or other objects will also aid your static holding ability.

Edited by eric milfeld

Tarw welcome

my advice is to do negitves with the #2

Thanks for your warm welcome gentlemen.

I'll make a more structured effort with the CoC and add the static holds to my regime.

Will do some reading of older posts too.

Diolch yn fawr - Thanks very much.

Two questions -

1. When using a CoC, how do you hold the thing? Straight arm, bent arm, seated, standing, where do the thumb and fingers go? (Sorry if this is a daft question!)

2. How do you do negatives? I assume you crush it up with two hands, release and hold on tight for dear life? (An even stupider question!!)

3. Thomas - no I've never done strap holds, but I've just read the article on them. I'm off to buy a leather strip tonight.

Thanks for your imput fellas.

Tarw,

I find that position of body boils down to personel comfort, Try it in all positions to get the best for you, I stand and bear down on the gripper with all the force I have keeping the crushing hand away from any other part of my body (some are tempted to push the thing into their thigh etc.) 'Setting' the gripper into your hand should also come down to where you feel it is best placed in your individual palm. I get the feeling its set right when you feel you are applying as much power as possible to the beasty.

Negatives: You got that right, some may use their leg the crush the gripper as close as possible or two hands and then.......hang on! :blink

BTW Welcome to the gripboard I think you'll find your time here interesting and don't worry about asking advice as thats why this forum is the best on grip in the world!!!

Digz.

Guest gripmaster316

Negatives?? You could do cheat closes. Or you could just close the 1 and hold for your hearts content. I had a friend who did a 2 minute plus negative on the one. Its nothing special but it certainly was a spectacle. He later said he couldn't make a fist for a couple hours.

Guest ms316
Negatives?? You could do cheat closes. Or you could just close the 1 and hold for your hearts content. I had a friend who did a 2 minute plus negative on the one. Its nothing special but it certainly was a spectacle. He later said he couldn't make a fist for a couple hours.

OUCH!! :yikes