Latest Pda News On Grippers

Bill Piche

From the PDA web site (www.fractionalplates.com):

(7/19/03) RFQs for components were let the week of 7/14/03. Initial replies indicated the price coming in at nominally $17 each. The first models to roll out will likely be:

0 (zero) - 0.225" diameter wire

I (Roman numeral 1) - 0.235" diameter wire

II - 0.25" diameter wire

III - 0.283" diameter wire

IV - 0.312" diameter wire

These models may not appear simultaneously or in order. "In between" models will emerge depending on feedback. Gripper orders will include a copy of Gripper Facts, a summary of gripper data.

To clear the remaining stock, existing 0.280" diameter wire SOS Grippers (note this is between a II and a III and between a 2 and a 3) have been reduced to $16 with seasoning optional.

I been wanting to purchase some grippers from PDA. Looks like a good time to buy. When do you think they will start selling these new grippers Wanna? I want the II, III and IV. I wish they still calibrated grippers. I'd love to know what my grippers are. Do you know why they stopped doing that?

I wish they still calibrated grippers. I'd love to know what my grippers are. Do you know why they stopped doing that?

I think I can help, the answer is very simple. It didn't work. Their results were junk.

Oh ok Heath!! Thanks! Is there anyway to tell about how hard a gripper is? I just bought a BBGrandMaster and it seemed really weak to me not like what some have said their's were. Porkbone was the only other to say his was weak. I'm just looking for some bridge the gap grippers between the #2 and #3 here. And as gripper funds are low I need to make each purchase hopefully fall into the range I need. If I had the funds to buy as many grippers as I wanted I wouldn't worry about it I'd just try several out and go from there.

Kids are about grown here so hopefully I'll have alittle more gripper money!! lol

Cool vid of you shutting the SilverSpring Elite by the way! Awesome?

bballdad,

I think you would find the PDA 280 suiting your need. I have 2 280s

and they are between the #2 and #3. I would even guesstimate they

are a 2.75.

PDA has stated on their website this is where it falls.

:yikes am I out on a limb here? :tongue

For $16 it is a good deal

Ordering it Monday for sure especially for $16.00.

And a couple of #3's CoC.

These grippers are addicting. :ohmy

Thanks Zcor!

I thought my GrandMaster was going to be a 2.75 or so.

But anyway I know grippers vary alot. :cry

I need to work another job here to buy all the grippers I want!!

I wish they still calibrated grippers. I'd love to know what my grippers are. Do you know why they stopped doing that?

I think I can help, the answer is very simple. It didn't work. Their results were junk.

Their results were not junk. By the research John did, we know a heck of a lot more about the grippers than before he did. No one can accurately (ball park yes) to the highest degree measure these things. If anything, that alone was confirmed.

There's also some new info on spring sizes and also what the materials people have been using (are the cheap quality material or not?) and those differences in the material quality of the springs. Interesting actually.

There's also some new info on spring sizes and also what the materials people have been using (are the cheap quality material or not?) and those differences in the material quality of the springs. Interesting actually.

I have a suspicion it could be low carbon steel from China :unsure

Their results were not junk. By the research John did, we know a heck of a lot more about the grippers than before he did. No one can accurately (ball park yes) to the highest degree measure these things. If anything, that alone was confirmed.

Well, since he said it would be an end all absolute thing to start, then after lots of testing, he came up with one thing. They can't be calibrated, I guess he did make huge progress. Info on spring sizes? Steel varies, a big spring gripper can be weak, and small spring gripper can be tough. Depth of handles, coil diameter, etc are old.

I guess people will have to keep buying all sorts of grippers to find what strength there looking for. At least you can have a nice collection someday. I wonder whos got one of the biggest collections? Bob Bollenbach maybe. Strossen? Tetting?

Info on spring sizes?  Steel varies, a big spring gripper can be weak, and small spring gripper can be tough.  Depth of handles, coil diameter, etc are old.

That's not what I am talking about because anything I tell you would be taken with a negative stance which we both know. So, I don't even bring it up. :stuart

I think your right mattvanweele!! lol Now I can justify all my gripper purchases to my wife. I'll just tell her Bill and Heath and whoever else I can drag into my cause said that there is no way to tell what a gripper is going to be in terms of strength or difficulty. That I HAVE to start purchasing grippers every month now. You guys will back me up won't you!! :whistel lol

I just had my cable cut off because I never watch tv I'm always here and cut off my home phone because we all have cell phones here.

That money saved ought to buy me a few grippers a month.

:laugh

When I saw the post this morning, just couldn't resist. Since I'm also here in South Carolina, the SOS .280 should be here in a few days. It would be great if it feels about a 2.75 because the grandmaster I got the other day feels like a 2.5. But for $16, how could I pass it up?

Info on spring sizes?  Steel varies, a big spring gripper can be weak, and small spring gripper can be tough.  Depth of handles, coil diameter, etc are old.

That's not what I am talking about because anything I tell you would be taken with a negative stance which we both know. So, I don't even bring it up. :stuart

Me, negative with PDA, surely not.... :unsure:erm:unsure:inno

It seems like everyones GM's are week. I got a SM a few weeks ago and thats feels like a 2.7 compared to the 3 different #3's I've tried. Also could someone explain the whole PDA issue. I heard there testing was way off and thats about it.

Edited by mattvanweele

Now I can justify all my gripper purchases to my wife. I'll just tell her Bill and Heath and whoever else I can drag into my cause said that there is no way to tell what a gripper is going to be in terms of strength or difficulty. That I HAVE to start purchasing grippers every month now. You guys will back me up won't you!! :whistel

I got your'e back if you got mine :rock

I remember trying a 302 IP ranked PDA gripper, and it was very disappointing. :(

I would like to order some of the tougher PDA's and see what happens. Hey, for 16 bucks... why not?? ;)

you got it Don!! lol

You should see my wifes expression on her face when I tell her I need to order some new grippers. Down right scary man! lol

Looks kinda like this :angry: and then shakes her head and walks off.

:whistel

Snott, I agree. For 16 bucks, what's not to like? As long as the pda .280 falls somewhere between a 2.5 and 3, I'll be happy. Plus, I just got an email from pda saying it was going out by fedex tomorrow morning. I'm here in the same state, South Carolina, so by Tuesday I'll know. What's not to like?

As a research scientist, I am someone who creates knowledge for a living. I believe that John at PDA has created a lot of interesting knowledge about grippers. He may have ended his research having created more unanswered questions than useful knowledge, but that's the way research often is. It's not like building a house where the outcome is fairly certain. The outcome of research is seldom certain and almost never what you want. With enough time and money and luck you can get to the answers you are seeking but John has pressing economic considerations to address as well. I am happy with my SOS grippers, they are my favorite grippers (and I have a few grippers).

Mike M.

Before I could close a #3 COC, I purchased a PDA IP of 325 to bridge the gap. It was so far off base it wasnt even funny. I took it out of the Fed Ex bag while driving, and closed it for 10 easy reps with my right AND my left hand. It was easier than any #2 I have come accross.

Annoyed-I sent it back and traded it in on a IP of 387. Much, Much better-close to a #3-would be a #3 if not for the close handles.

Then, when I met Smitty and Jedd, he had a PDA IP of 279 I believe (Jedder??). Anyway-I closed it quite easily-but it compared to my IP of 387-if not a little harder!

So there you have it-numbers mean :whacked !

My BBM is an easy #2, my BBE is harder than any #3 I have tried (Including Tommy's-and HIS IS A BEAST!), and my BBSE is a little easier than my #4.

Rick Walker :rock

So there you have it-numbers mean :whacked !

My BBM is an easy #2, my BBE is harder than any #3 I have tried (Including Tommy's-and HIS IS A BEAST!), and my BBSE is a little easier than my #4.

Rick Walker :rock

Oh yea, I finally opened my #3 and let me say I was disappointed!!

I got my 3 down to about where I can get my #2, i to have an elite and it is also much harder than my #3

But how do you determine what PDA gripper to get?

IP of 279? what does this mean?

Bball,

let me say my wife is the same way! but once she got a glimpse of my #3 and saw how disappointed I was she actually said "get another one"

:rock

don-

Lucky guy you are! lol

I'm ordering the PDA SOS .280 and

2 CoC #3's tomorrow.

I hope a CoC #3 isn't harder than my BB Elite. If it is I'll been in the #2 list ALONG time!! lol

OK gtg time to go to "The Movie Gallery" and crank up the speakers. I love that music!!!