2017 June - Armlifting Contest at The Training Hall 6/9/17 - Riccardo Magni

riccardomagni

Odd Haugen has been hosting weekly 3 event grip contests on Fridays at his gym, The Training Hall.   Since I am a teacher and this was the first day of summer break,  I made the 2 hour plus drive (each way) to see Odd and the guys.
I had the pleasure of bringing surprise events.  I wanted them to try some new equipment. All events were done in rising bar format with unlimited attempts in one minute.  Bodyweight was the tiebreaker if two people made the same weight. 

First event - 2.5" Crusher 
I haven't been practicing this at all but I wanted to see what Odd could pull.  I thought that he could break the record the first time he touched it.  More on that later...
I made 143# and 163# easily.  I passed on 173# and went to 178# to break my PR of 175#.  Unfortunately, it was too much.   I got it more than halfway up but could not lock it out.  In a contest with uprights like King Kong it may have been a good lift.  I tied for 1st but got second on bodyweight.   Odd was not in the contest but pulled 201# with both hands.  He went for the record but couldn't do it.  He was most likely good for 215#-220#.

2nd event - One Hand Tips Tester 
This event is one of my favorites.  
I made all of the opening weights easily.  Long time friend Mike Gillert got my attention when he pulled 174# to his chest!!  This was only 2# under my PR and it was his first time using the Tips Tester.   IMPRESSIVE.  Anyway,  I got fired up and was fortunate to pull 179.6# for the win and a PR.  We then both went after the 2nd place pull on the Barrel Strength Leaderboards and loaded the bar to about 193#.  Neither one of us made it but I think that I got mine off of the ground a bit.  

3rd event – The Flask – 2 Hands 
This was a good contest.  Kyle Gerrans (up and coming grip star) I tied at 171# and he won on bodyweight.   I inexplicably missed 181#.  After the contest,  I did 181# and 186.3#.  I then tried 203# to get on the Leaderboard.   Not this time. 
It was a great contest with friends.  I ended up in 1st place; this was my first ever win at a grip contes (video to follow). If you are anywhere near Thousand Oaks CA, check out The Training Hall.   You will be more than satisfied!! 

• Like 4