How To Build A Poor Man's Bag O' Nails

tmmicklabs

White Nail = 6" by 3/16 CRS = 120 lbs to bend

Green Nail = 5" by 3/16 CRS = 160 lbs to bend

Yellow Nail = 7" by 1/4 CRS = 210 lbs to bend

Blue Nail = 6" by 1/4 CRS = 260 lbs to bend

Red Nail = 7" by 5/16 CRS = 383 lbs to bend

You can go to almost any hardware store and get the material you need for around 10 bucks.

Sure beats paying (edited to save space) 55 bucks for the same thing.

Hope this helps everyone.

tmmicklabs

It is nice to be able to save a few quid/dollars here and there,especially if ya got a familly or are a bit strapped for cash.But sooner or later if you are hooked on bending you will want to try a Ligitimate BLUE and not the equivalent,then this leeds you down the path to the AWESOME RED,which again there is no substitute to trying the real thing,i no i want to :D

the nail i bent was 5" long and 1/5 of an inch thick, do you think that ='s a yellow nail?

Strongman...I am not sure exactly how many 16th's a fifth of an inch is equal to.

Was the steel you bent 3/16, 1/4 or 5/16 ???

Guest PineAway
Was the steel you bent 3/16, 1/4 or 5/16 ???

While I'm not Strongman and I know the question wasnt to me, but I'll answer it anyway Tmmick. Strongman said the nail he bent was 1/5 of an inch thick. This is APPROX. 3/16. And I will take the time to prove this instead of just sounding like I'm blowing smoke up your arse. Here is the simple equation I used.

1/5 = x/16.

x is the variable, this will be how many 16's is equal to 1/5. From here things are so simple. You have to cross multiply. "1 times 16" and "5 times x" The equation now looks like this- 16=5x. Divide both sides of the equation by 5 and there is your answer. 16 divided by 5 equals 3.2. 5x divided by 5 equals X. X = 3.2

So as long as my math is correct (and yes, I do beleive it is :laugh ) a nail that is 1/5 inch thick is the same as a nail 3.2/16 inch thick.

thank you PineAway, but an even easier way to say how thick it is 2/10's on an inch, but you know it's all the same

thank you PineAway, but an even easier way to say how thick it is 2/10's on an inch, but you know it's all the same, here's a pic of it:

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album77

Edited by Strong Man

Guest PineAway
thank you PineAway, but an even easier way to say how thick it is 2/10's on an inch, but you know it's all the same

Yes I'm aware 1/5 equals 2/10... But tmmicklabs question was how many /16's 1/5 is.

Edited by PineAway

yea i know but i'm saying a overall way to look at it is 1/5

Or 200 thousandths. You need to have tighter measurement when you're doign stuff like this, because you need to know exactly what it was. It's not too accurate to hold it up to a tape measure and eyeball it. Bust out a caliper and determine exactly what it was.

Cheap is good when you're practicing, practicing, and bending, bending. But if you wanna say you bent a blue, you gotta have a blue to bend. If I was gonna get into bending, I'd get the IM deal, dink around a little bit, then load up on the knockoffs to practice, then bust out an official one here and there for "exam day" to see what I've learned.

Edited by CMunger

• 4 weeks later...

my bro and I went to Canadian Tire to try and find a thick handle and some nails, no good handles there, but awsome nails, we bought i think 8 huge nails there 3.5/10 by 8" i'm pretty sure i don't know many /16 there are but damn those things look hard as hell to bent my bro worked on it for about 5 mins. then looked at put a kink into it, i would love to try it as soon as my bitch wrist heals

I just looked at that photo, and that's a Timber Tie. A spiral nail. It's just under 1/4", but when it's twisted the distance between peaks of the twist could be 1/5". Still, most people who don't train for it can't bend it.

Strong Man, Keep buy those huge nails. At first they may be a joke or just an inspiration to keep bending, but that makes the day you bend it all the more special. And with training, you WILL bend it.

About the IronMind nails = Worth it if you are in the middle of nowhere with no time or desire to track down some steel. Not worth it if you know where a Home Depot is.

In my opinion, the first 4 nails are pretty easy, and as you start bending can surpass all of them fairly quick, but then there's a HUGE gap between the Blue and Red nail. I believe some one once referenced it as being relatively "The difference between the #2 and #4 CoC grippers". In this case, you're going to have to buy a bunch of steel to bridge the gap anyway.

yea thanks man the nails we bought are 5/16 thick now those are beasts

CRS = Cold Rolled Steel.

HRS = Hot Rolled Steel.

CRS is way harder than HRS.