Block weights or plate pinches?

Varro

I was wondering if one might be more beneficial than the other to start with as a new guy.  I know the beginner routine laid out in the FAQ advocates plate pinches, but I wasn't sure if that was mainly due to the convenience of most gyms having the right kind of plates.  Depending on what the consensus here is I'll buy one or the other, since the gym I go to has rubberized plates with no smooth side AND no hubs. Also, no block weights to speak of.  I'd really like to start working on pinch so I'll be in the market for any used equipment I can use to do so.  

In case this makes any difference, I first started working grip maybe 2 weeks ago with a #1 (I closed it first try without much of a problem) and I've recently ordered fatgripz to use with whatever exercises I can.  Dumbbells at this gym have flared out handles that don't work with the fatgripz.  It's as if the place is designed around avoiding gripwork.  

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. 

-Varro 

Block weights are good but going to be costly because you'll have to buy several of them as your strength levels change.

Plate pinches are good but your gym doesn't have the ones you need and generally speaking you're limited with what you can do with those.

Based on the info you give in this post, I think your best bet would be to get a pinch block (flask, sorinex, make one, etc) and a loading pin and just use that with the plates your gym has.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Anthony C. said:

Block weights are good but going to be costly because you'll have to buy several of them as your strength levels change.

Plate pinches are good but your gym doesn't have the ones you need and generally speaking you're limited with what you can do with those.

Based on the info you give in this post, I think your best bet would be to get a pinch block (flask, sorinex, make one, etc) and a loading pin and just use that with the plates your gym has.

Thanks for the feedback.  One thing I'd mention as well is that I will have to switch gyms within a couple months and once that happens it may be a different situation as far as plates go.  Assuming wherever I end up has traditional style plates, I'd probably invest in a couple blocks.  Any idea what weight/size would be a good starting point?

Start in the 2" to 3" range. 

• Like 1

Used sporting good stores usually have plenty of cheap cast iron $0.50/lb.  You can pick up some 25's, 35's, and get some small 1" hole plates to mimic block weights.  Then you can train at home, and not worry about what your gym has or does not have.  I also like Anthony C's recommendation above.  I actually trained for the Euro 2HP with some 2" rectangular tube from the metalyard for my first comp. until I could get a real 2HP.

• Like 3

Block weights are easy to find. Because they are hex DB ends., atleast thats how I understand it. Cool right? If you go on craigslist or ask around here you'll find them pretty easy though on craiglist you may just find DBs and have to get them cut. 

Blobs are different. Blobs cost a buttload. I found mine on ebay and it costed be a pretty penny.  Folk like Jedd Johnson are blob/block weight advocates. It carries over to many other pinch devices. Plate pinch is a dufferent beast because you have movement. 

Tl;dr: cant go wrong in investing in block weights. But consider your goals too.  

• Like 1

If I were you I'd recommend what Anthony said and get a flask or FBBC climbers pinch or just make your own out of wood. Pinching plates is hard on the webbing of your thumbs unless your wearing gloves. These devices will let you train more without tearing. Wide pinching with block weights is great too. You could get a couple block weights and then hang weight off of them as you get stronger, that way you wouldn't have to buy some many.

• Like 2

Choices are various numbers of 5 - 10 - 25 - 35 - 45# plates or a series of block weights.  The other options are fixed width but loadable pinch setups like a Climber Pinch (these come in various widths from FBBC) or a Flask (single fixed width but I think Gil will make other widths as well?).  From a money standpoint plates are gonna win if your gym has them of course.  You can of course make your own blocks from wood or steel or aluminum without much trouble.

Disadvantages of plates are sharp edges that can be a problem and it's hard to micro load

Disadvantages of Blocks are simply cost - especially if you go with Yorks.  Biggest advantage to blocks is you can do "tosses".

Fixed width but loadable (loading pin) items work well and have rounded edges that allow more volume and are easy to throw in a gym bag and take with you different places.  All will make you stronger - take your pick. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the info so far guys, really appreciate it. I think I'm definitely going to make myself some sort of loadable pinch block in the near future, but in the meantime I think I'll look around for whatever cheap iron I can get my hands on.  I may be able to get a blob (from a 75 lb York, so not THE blob) for about $20 which if I'm not mistaken is a decent price.  However, if I find some cheap plates and feel I can get more bang for my buck that way I'll buy those.  My goal here overall is to have world class grip strength in as many areas as I can muster so the way I see it I'll be eventually doing both pinches and blobs; might as well just start with the cheapest one for now seeing as how they will both make me stronger.  If anyone has any blobs/plates that they are looking to part with feel free to PM me, especially if you are either in the Cleveland or Columbus Ohio area.  Thanks again everyone, this sort of help is exactly why I signed up.  

-Varro

@Squeezusmade a video on making a pinch block for <$30. I cant find the video but it's a really simple build.

• Like 1

Here's the video. You can make it a lot simpler if you have more tools, but I tried to use the bare minimum so that anyone can make a 2.25" pinch block like the Flask and a loading pin for really cheap without many tools.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Squeezus said:

Here's the video. You can make it a lot simpler if you have more tools, but I tried to use the bare minimum so that anyone can make a 2.25" pinch block like the Flask and a loading pin for really cheap without many tools.

Great video!  Just watched it, my only question would be if it would be beneficial to fabricate it in such a way that the block itself is closer to the ground to better mimic a plate pinch or blob lift?  Or is it preferable for the block to start at that height?  I'm thinking it would be pretty easy to make the loading pin into a 2-piece so that the height could be adjustable.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Varro said:

Great video!  Just watched it, my only question would be if it would be beneficial to fabricate it in such a way that the block itself is closer to the ground to better mimic a plate pinch or blob lift?  Or is it preferable for the block to start at that height?  I'm thinking it would be pretty easy to make the loading pin into a 2-piece so that the height could be adjustable.  

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. Yeah, you could get a shorter nipple or 2 nipples and a coupler or a shorter eye bolt to reduce the pick height. Lots of options for customization when you are making your own pinch block, for sure.

15 hours ago, Varro said:

When I want lower pick height on some event, I just stand on a couple of boxes or bumper plates.