Rolling thunder progress

Sapper88

Hello all,

I've been working towards the crushed to dust challenge from ironmind the past 3 or 4 months. I've made sufficient progress on the hub and the grippers but I am stalling on the rolling thunder. I am stuck at 155 pounds. My max number of reps have gone up but max weight has been stagnant. 

I've tried high volume training, putting it at the beginning of work outs to ensure that I am fresh, power lifting style programming using lower rep numbers nearer to max weight, and doing it every other day rather than the twice a week where I started.

I just decided to try the 5/3/1 method and started with that yesterday. 

So I am wondering what type of methods worked for others, namely people who have met the challenge. 

Thanks in advance. 

I am not good at rolling handle lifts but I would suggest reading through some of mobsters training log or maybe asking him for a bit of advice. He has always been very good at these kind of lifts. Perhaps all the 3" wrist roller work he has done over the years has helped.

• Like 1

I'm not strong on the RT but the only thing that has worked for me is heavy lifts. Also lifts with Inch style dumbbells has helped. I know that many people say that high reps with the RT is the way to go but for me it has never really worked. The only time I have progressed with it has been when I've tried to lift near my max twice a week. Obviously you'll need to perodize with high reps and low reps.

For the CTD challenge, forget grippers, that challenge is skewed. The gripper and hub are super easy, it's a Rolling Thunder certification and nothing else.

• Like 3

Fist of fury, what do you mean by it being skewed?

54 minutes ago, Sapper88 said:

Fist of fury, what do you mean by it being skewed?

Ok...I'm not FoF...but this is pretty common knowledge.

For example...I'm a CoC (#3) and can pull 70lbs on the hub.  However...I still can't pull 200lbs on the RT.  Granted I haven't really trained it...but all the same...the RT requirement is WAYYYY more difficult for the average bear in comparison to the other feats.  Tom Scibelli could pull 600lbs on a deadlift...yet took a year of training to get his RT over 200lbs.

Calling it the "RT challenge" is pretty appropriate.

• Like 5

yes, I agree. The crust to dust challenge is really the "rolling thunder certification." The RT weight is by far the most challenging aspect. 

• Like 2

What worked for me to get my RT numbers up was to do high frequency, high volume, medium intensity training. 5/3/1 wouldn't have worked for me personally, it's not enough volume.

• Like 2

@Tom Scibelli, did you use a specific program or did you just go by feel? I remember reading your log but I can't recall if you were using the same method all the time?

I've been seeing a carryover from working fat gripz extreme to rolling thunder. I've adapted the smolov squat method for the fat gripz while adjusting the volume to suit the hands; as the program is designed for leg training. The principles work however, as I've added 20lbs to my FGX DL in a couple months (been training grip 5+ years so gains like this are hard to get). The rolling thunder and inch style dumbbell lifts are improving almost in a linear fashion. Make sure you are taking adequate deload time as continuously training with Smolov intensity will wear out your CNS and could set you back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

@Tom Scibelli, did you use a specific program or did you just go by feel? I remember reading your log but I can't recall if you were using the same method all the time?

I use the PH3 program it's a powerlifting program that uses DUP. It's on bodybuilding.com.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tom Scibelli said:

I use the PH3 program it's a powerlifting program that uses DUP. It's on bodybuilding.com.

Ok, which workout did you follow, deadlift or squat?

30 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Ok, which workout did you follow, deadlift or squat?

Squat

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jvance said:

I've been seeing a carryover from working fat gripz extreme to rolling thunder. I've adapted the smolov squat method for the fat gripz while adjusting the volume to suit the hands; as the program is designed for leg training. The principles work however, as I've added 20lbs to my FGX DL in a couple months (been training grip 5+ years so gains like this are hard to get). The rolling thunder and inch style dumbbell lifts are improving almost in a linear fashion. Make sure you are taking adequate deload time as continuously training with Smolov intensity will wear out your CNS and could set you back.

Interesting. My focus is on thick bar and specifically the inch so it sounds like the fat grip extremes would help with this. Thick bar is so weird as some people swear 1xwk is the only thing that worked and others love a higher volume, higher frequency. Wondering if ultimately higher frequency is ideal once you get past the initial shock and temporary weakness from it. You would think the hands/forearms being known to recover faster than other groups would be ok with thick bar multiple times a week. Anyway I'm rambling and way off topic but I've been wanting to work the extremes in so good know that some db lifts with them will be beneficial. Thanks!

• 7 years later...

This is what helped me progress when I used to RT. 

- training 1 to 2 times per week alternating weeks. Rest is essential and overdoing in on the RT won’t help

- if your training for max gains, then space out your reps. You might fail after 5 consecutive reps at a weight near your max, but you can increase the number of reps or amount of weight achieved if you space your reps out 30sec-1min or more

- two more things. Time under pressure and maximal intensity. As others have said, high reps do help, but the weight needs to be significant (70-80% of your max). Like I mentioned above, spacing out your reps will allow you to perform more reps at the same or greater weight. Intensity is equally crucial. You need to squeeze as hard as you possibly can, regardless of the weight. 

at the end of the day, everyone is different and what has worked for me may not work for you. The important thing is to experiment and to not give up. Maximum intensity when your training and maximum rest when you’re not are two things you cannot ignore. Hope this helps someone.