Bryan Hunsaker breaks Dinnie Record

anwnate

4 hours ago, Kashtan said:

I do not want to seem to be disrespectful to Bryan Hunsaker. But firstly - Mark Felix for 50 years, and the tournament on Arnold was for the master for 50 age. Secondly - Mark without a hook grip, but here it is clearly a hook grip. Maybe it's time to create anothers nomination in Dinny - with hook grip and without hook?

Of course, this does not detract from the feat Bryan! Congrats!

This was a timed record. He held it for 33 seconds. Mark lifted and carried the stones 17'. Totally different feat. Hun earned this WR. 

• Like 5

They did a timed hold at the Arnold's where mark got somewhere around 30 seconds. I too would like to see with and without hook or just no hook allowed. Changes the feat.

I actually can't see that it was a hook grip; can someone show a still that verifies what you're saying?  He wasn't using a hook grip in the training videos of similar weight that I saw!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KapMan said:

This was a timed record. He held it for 33 seconds. Mark lifted and carried the stones 17'. Totally different feat. Hun earned this WR. 

Without carry - only hold.

Edited by Kashtan

16 minutes ago, Allen Heineck said:

I actually can't see that it was a hook grip; can someone show a still that verifies what you're saying?  He wasn't using a hook grip in the training videos of similar weight that I saw!

I find video better quality and position. Im wrong - Bryan hold without hook.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

They did a timed hold at the Arnold's where mark got somewhere around 30 seconds. I too would like to see with and without hook or just no hook allowed. Changes the feat.

That smith machine has affected your head. Smith machine, lmao. Don't people have to cert on 3.5 before delusion about cert on #4? I know the UK has grip talent pool much, much, much SMALLER than America but still give some props to an American once in a blue moon.

Edited by Kluv#0

15 hours ago, Kashtan said:

I do not want to seem to be disrespectful to Bryan Hunsaker. But firstly - Mark Felix for 50 years, and the tournament on Arnold was for the master for 50 age. Secondly - Mark without a hook grip, but here it is clearly a hook grip. Maybe it's time to create anothers nomination in Dinny - with hook grip and without hook?

Of course, this does not detract from the feat Bryan! Congrats!

56 minutes ago, Paul Savage said:

Cuppa haters?

• Like 1

Lol my god the hate is strong here. The dude broke a WR and instead of just saying job well done, you criticize. Nice.  

Edited by KapMan
  • Like 2

If you look at the Dinnie Stones website, it lists people that lifted the stones AND how they lifted them. They include whether they used straps or a hook grip.  That said, do you think the people in Scotland would call the BBC if this wasn't a record?

Get a clue.  Bryan is VERY strong.  I have had the pleasure of training with and competing with some of the top guys in strongman.  Trust me when I say that this is the beginning for Bryan.

• Like 6

Oh brother, god forbid people just be happy for the guy since he did something amazing.

• Like 3

image.jpg

This was the only photo I could find that clearly shows the hands and the website also list his attempt(s) under the unassisted category.

I didn't even know about this feat until a day ago. Awesome job on his part.     

• Like 4

In order not to create a wrong opinion - I admire the heroic feat of Bryan. 

I'm sure that this guy has a great future in grip, he definitely has a talent.

Edited by Kashtan
  • Like 1

Thank you @anwnate I appreciate the mention!!

Everyone may be interested to know that I spent a lot of time with the folks at Ballogie Estate, including Jim Splaine who has lifted the stones more times than anyone else in history.  He told me I'm one of 6 people to ever lift them not using a hook grip. I was also told by first-hand viewers of Mark's carry at the Aboyne games - just for the record, he moved them about 15 feet, not the full 17, and that included multiple set-downs.  Other than the "legend" of Donald Dinnie, nobody has ever walked them anywhere close to the width of the Potarch Bridge.  There is actually an event in August where attempts will be made, on the Bridge, which I think is really cool, and I've been invited to come and compete in that, and try to push the hold-record farther.

The timed hold, as rightly pointed out by a few people, is a separate feat from the carry.  Mark set the record (I believe) just shy of 31 seconds at the Arnold Classic, last month.  The official time I was given was 33.9 by the "keepers" of the stones.

Guys, I just wanted to go pick the stones up.  I didn't know how long, or if I could hold them.  I ended up having a good showing with a great group of people, on the nicest day I've ever spent in Scotland...sun shining and not cold!  I was fortunate to be able to do that and give it a good go, with my family present.  No interest in sparking controversy.  The story got picked-up by the UK media, and I ended up on TV/Radio/Print, and I had no hand in that either, but found it cool that they are so supportive of strength/strongman/grip.  Hopefully this can be viewed for what it is, and spark competition and a lot more attempts from the grip community!

@riccardomagni 

• Like 14

8 minutes ago, Bryan Hunsaker said:

Thank you @anwnate I appreciate the mention!!

Everyone may be interested to know that I spent a lot of time with the folks at Ballogie Estate, including Jim Splaine who has lifted the stones more times than anyone else in history.  He told me I'm one of 6 people to ever lift them not using a hook grip. I was also told by first-hand viewers of Mark's carry at the Aboyne games - just for the record, he moved them about 15 feet, not the full 17, and that included multiple set-downs.  Other than the "legend" of Donald Dinnie, nobody has ever walked them anywhere close to the width of the Potarch Bridge.  There is actually an event in August where attempts will be made, on the Bridge, which I think is really cool, and I've been invited to come and compete in that, and try to push the hold-record farther.

The timed hold, as rightly pointed out by a few people, is a separate feat from the carry.  Mark set the record (I believe) just shy of 31 seconds at the Arnold Classic, last month.  The official time I was given was 33.9 by the "keepers" of the stones.

Guys, I just wanted to go pick the stones up.  I didn't know how long, or if I could hold them.  I ended up having a good showing with a great group of people, on the nicest day I've ever spent in Scotland...sun shining and not cold!  I was fortunate to be able to do that and give it a good go, with my family present.  No interest in sparking controversy.  The story got picked-up by the UK media, and I ended up on TV/Radio/Print, and I had no hand in that either, but found it cool that they are so supportive of strength/strongman/grip.  Hopefully this can be viewed for what it is, and spark competition and a lot more attempts from the grip community!

@riccardomagni 

You're the man! 

• Like 1

Congrats Bryan. You seem like a class act dude. 

• Like 1

You did a little more than "just pick them up" - I suggest a goal reset !!!!!

That much weight, no hook, and over 30 seconds. . . .:bow

• Like 1

Bryan, congrats. You obviously do this for you, and don't have a problem with a little bit of scrutiny, whether it's  accurate or not.

• Like 1

Congrats Bryan!!!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

That smith machine has affected your head. Smith machine, lmao. Don't people have to cert on 3.5 before delusion about cert on #4? I know the UK has grip talent pool much, much, much SMALLER than America but still give some props to an American once in a blue moon.

I meant no disrespect to Bryan and certainly don't have anything against America (or any country). My comment wasn't anything to do with Bryan, he's obviously done a great job hook grip or not. My comment was purely about the feat, I lift with large wheels in my job and know from this there's a difference in terms of taking pressure off the fingers when using hook grip so in my opinion there should be two categories. Maybe there is I don't know, i watched the stoneland documentary recently and don't recall of it getting a mention. 

Edited by Paul Savage
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

I meant no disrespect to Bryan and certainly don't have anything against America (or any country). My comment wasn't anything to do with Bryan, he's obviously done a great job hook grip or not. My comment was purely about the feat, I lift with large wheels in my job and know from this there's a difference in terms of taking pressure off the fingers when using hook grip so in my opinion there should be two categories. Maybe there is I don't know, i watched the stoneland documentary recently and don't recall of it getting a mention. 

Paul its an interesting point.  I have a few friends that did it last year that had to use straps, so that's why they have a category for "assisted lift".  With all the big lifters out there, it is just a very awkward deadlift that I'm sure a lot of strongmen could do.  I'm told I'm on a short list of people that didn't use a hook grip, so probably close to 90% of the "unassisted lifts" you see on there are with a hook grip.  Honestly, I've never hooked in my life - it looks painful! :)  I did read a lot before I went over and a number of people couldn't budge them until they hooked.  At the end of the day, its just cool to pick them up however you happen to do it.  Its a beautiful venue and I haven't met nicer people in my entire life.  I suggest anyone who finds themselves in the UK, tries to get up to Potarch and give them a go...hook...no hook...

Cheers man!

• Like 4