Thick bars and theory

KapMan

Does working thicker bars 2.5"+ in both grip oriented and general lifting actually help?

i was thinking of this while pooping. We know that regular thick bar training recruits more fibers. But does the same apply to thicker bar work? Do you get as strong if not stronger? 

• Like 3

I think once you get past 2.5" it starts crossing over into a pinch exercise, depending on hand size

But I think it will have carryover to regular thick bar.

Edited by Tom Scibelli
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tom Scibelli said:

I think once you get past 2.5" it starts crossing over into a pinch exercise, depending on hand size

But I think it will have carryover to regular thick bar.

I think thats hand size dependent no? I agree though that for most folk beyond 2.5-3 is a pinch. For me 3.5 and 4 is al pinch

As a guy with above average hand size, I would say that really thick thickbar is a definitely an exercise in pinch strength to the extent that you cannot maintain wrist flexion. The more of a bend you can maintain in your wrist, the less you need your thumb.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KapMan said:

Does working thicker bars 2.5"+ in both grip oriented and general lifting actually help?

i was thinking of this while pooping. We know that regular thick bar training recruits more fibers. But does the same apply to thicker bar work? Do you get as strong if not stronger? 

Quite possibly the first time the word "pooping" was used in the Gripboard. Bravo! @KapMan

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, acromegaman said:

Quite possibly the first time the word "pooping" was used in the Gripboard. Bravo! @KapMan

I submit that to the community records

• Like 2