Working Thick Bar and Pinch Training Into a Gripper Routine

CFlaherty

So I am fairly new to grip training, and have made some decent progress working solely with the grippers. I really want to start working in some thick bar work with Fat Gripz and the Rolling Thunder. I also want to start some pinch training with the Hub and some levering. I was wondering how you guys have had success working this stuff into your gripper routines without sacrificing too much strength on gripper day.

The workout I had in mind would go something like this.

Monday: Grippers and a chest workout. 

Tuesday: Back workout

Wednesday: Grippers first, then Bi's Tris with Fat Gripz thick bar stuff

Thursday: Shoulders, Levering

Friday: Legs with Rolling Thunder work and some Hub work

Saturday: Gripper workout

Sunday: Levering

Does this look good, or could I work in more RT/Hub stuff?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Working grip and wrists seven days a week (assuming you don't use straps on back day)? Looks very tough. How are you planning your rest days?

• Like 1

I feel like grippers 3 times a week is a bit much! Itll probably be more crippling than  beneficial.

I'd suggest cutting grippers down to maybe twice a week at most! :)

Edited by Daniel Fleming
  • Like 1

Do Legs on Monday! Fudge EVERYBODY loves chest on Monday don't be one of those people.! Chest and back on Friday along with grippers. Weekend off.Everything else looks solid. Alternate Biceps with Back every other week and Chest. sho triceps every other week or two

Edited by Kluv#0

5 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Working grip and wrists seven days a week (assuming you don't use straps on back day)? Looks very tough. How are you planning your rest days?

Yeah I didn't really think about it, I guess I am just anxious to get all this in. Maybe cut out one of the gripper days and one levering day?

2 hours ago, Daniel Fleming said:

I feel like grippers 3 times a week is a bit much! Itll probably be more crippling than  beneficial.

Ok, I will definitely rethink this a bit. New to grippers and I really like working the grippers so I think I might have gotten a bit over zealous.

2 hours ago, Daniel Fleming said:

I also agree with this. You can do grippers 2x a week in the beginning (I did) but as you progress and the workouts get more intense you will need to cut down while balancing the other aspects of grip. Eventually I moved to 1 day a week, once every 1.5 weeks and currently once every 2 weeks. I'm probably the biggest gripper nerd on this board. Feel free to pm me with questions. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

One more thing, don't worry about Negatives right now because your so new to grip. You will make great progress without them. Once you have more experience, you can throw them in to get past sticking points. I have a way of incorporating them safety when the time comes. 

I think you're short a rest day. I'd drop the Saturday grippers session. As already mentioned, grippers twice a week will work great.

2 & 3 day breaks on levering is doable - but build up volume & resistance slowly or you'll trash your wrists.

What is your priority in terms of this expanded grip training regimen or are you simply seeking "overall" improvement?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chez said:

I also agree with this. You can do grippers 2x a week in the beginning (I did) but as you progress and the workouts get more intense you will need to cut down while balancing the other aspects of grip. Eventually I moved to 1 day a week, once every 1.5 weeks and currently once every 2 weeks. I'm probably the biggest gripper nerd on this board. Feel free to pm me with questions. 

Nice, thanks for the information. This is a cool forum, I am glad I came across it. I will definitely be cutting down to 2x a week! I will probably have a couple questions for you before too long.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gripmaniac said:

I think you're short a rest day. I'd drop the Saturday grippers session. As already mentioned, grippers twice a week will work great.

2 & 3 day breaks on levering is doable - but build up volume & resistance slowly or you'll trash your wrists.

What is your priority in terms of this expanded grip training regimen or are you simply seeking "overall" improvement?

I would say that I do want "overall" improvement, but my main focus is definitely improvement on the grippers. It seems far off now, but I really want to cert on the #3 eventually. Crushed to Dust is also in the back of my mind.

6 hours ago, CFlaherty said:

I would say that I do want "overall" improvement, but my main focus is definitely improvement on the grippers. It seems far off now, but I really want to cert on the #3 eventually. Crushed to Dust is also in the back of my mind.

In that case I would only do thick bar once a week. Pinch 1-2 and grippers 2-3 times per week. Wrist levering twice a week but not the same movements on both days.

This is my take on your workout schedule. Mostly I would say that you want to do too much. Your hands need a rest. Not many people can train their hands in some form everyday.

Monday: Grippers and a chest workout. fine

Tuesday: Back workout fine

Wednesday: Grippers first, then Bi's Tris with Fat Gripz thick bar stuff skip the grippers, you need more rest, do Fatbar (including RT) and levering

Thursday: Shoulders, Levering Definitely switch the Bi's Tris on wednesday with shoulders, your shoulder workout will be shit if you did Tris the previous day. No grip, no levering.

Friday: Legs with Rolling Thunder work and some Hub work Do Rolling thunder on wednesday together with other fatbar work, do grippers and pinch instead

Saturday: Gripper workout Make this a rest day

Sunday: Levering Not sure if levering with a gripper workout the next day is a good idea. Levering is pretty hard on the hands too. You could make monday a 'light' gripper day with higher reps and fridays a 'hard' gripper day with low reps too accomodate that.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all of the feedback. I was definitely a little over zealous but now I think I have a better idea of what is appropriate for my level.

Phase in new exercises slowly, you will get sore in weird ways and it will help to know what it's from. This will also help keep away injuries.

• Like 1