South Jersey 4 (Saturday, July 15th)

anwnate

1 hour ago, John McCarter said:

My wife is going to sign up for this contest.

@Tank Andrade, @MCrushetta  How awesome is this!  #womenwhogrip :) 

Patty @MaizelsTrainingHall 's still a maybe at this point.

• Like 3

Just booked my hotel room, much appreciated on the discounted rate. See everyone soon. Can't wait to meet everyone and have a blast. Train hard. 

• Like 4

Nate missed a Friday update!?! 😮

Anyway, who is gonna win this one?

Anybody wanna take (friendly)bets?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JHenze646 said:

Anyway, who is gonna win this one?

Anybody wanna take (friendly)bets?

I'll bet it won't be me. Lol. Love the handmade prizes though. I was just talking to someone on Thursday how much more fun it makes winning when it's a one of a kind piece.

• Like 2

About Nate not updating, I think he may still be drinking his one cup of coffee a day 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, acromegaman said:

I'll bet it won't be me. Lol. Love the handmade prizes though. I was just talking to someone on Thursday how much more fun it makes winning when it's a one of a kind piece.

Don't count yourself out. You never know.

And, Nate did ask me to make a bending trophy. Just sayin. 

And thank you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

2 hours ago, acromegaman said:

About Nate not updating, I think he may still be drinking his one cup of coffee a day 😉

My apologies gentlemen,

I received some extremely disappointing news on Thursday night.  We have been setting up to adopt a yet unborn baby in a few weeks and the parents just backed out and informed us.  Intellectually I understand this, but it's still a pretty hard blow to the gut.  A very similar (same end result) thing happened just before Christmas, so we are 0-2 at the moment and it's been kind of rough emotionally for me (and even more with the wifey).  I've kind of been in a daze since then, and while I've tried keep things normal, I've been slipping here and there.

SJ4 Friday (errr. Saturday...errrr Sunday very very early) Update:

We had one (yet significant) signup this past week.  Christina Merritt

Not only is this another woman competitor (#gripwomenkatn), but it's our first official married couple (married to "the Beast" AKA @John McCarter) to sign up to compete.

It also brings July 15th's attendance up to an astonishing 46 gripsters with 13 weeks to go.  

In preparation for the "Brous House" portion of the comp (Feasting, Medley, Bending and Fun)...work on the basement gym continues slow and steady (as my health allows).

There is a rumor that some NYC guys are planning to visit this Saturday to try and help out with anything yet undone at that point.  Ideally, I'll get things squared away by then so I can enjoy their company, yet I will be appreciative of their help if it goes that way.

Additionally...to help with sponsors, I'm starting to create a "Gripsport Packet" with a ton of pictures briefly explaining what and how we do it.  

It's become apparent that this packet...and bringing grip tools in with me...are a more productive way of procuring sponsors (Pictures being worth a 1000 words and all that).

Post comp...I will share the many things I've learned in regards with throwing this comp.  Hopefully it can save others some time and effort down the road.

PS...Josh...I literally lol'd when I read this...#likeanapprenticewithanangrybeaver

• Like 7

Sorry to hear of the troubles.

That colorful saying was too good not to steal. I heard it from a gentleman over on YouTube by the name of AvE.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

Don't count yourself out. You never know.

And, Nate did ask me to make a bending trophy. Just sayin. 

And thank you.

I love when thats said.

Only way I'm going to win is if no one showed up. Think delmar is same boat. I only hope no one gets hurt, and I hit atleast 1 PR. 

I love the handmade prizes. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, anwnate said:

My apologies gentlemen,

I received some extremely disappointing news on Thursday night.  We have been setting up to adopt a yet unborn baby in a few weeks and the parents just backed out and informed us.  Intellectually I understand this, but it's still a pretty hard blow to the gut.  A very similar (same end result) thing happened just before Christmas, so we are 0-2 at the moment and it's been kind of rough emotionally for me (and even more with the wifey).  I've kind of been in a daze since then, and while I've tried keep things normal, I've been slipping here and there.

Dang😞

• Like 1

Shoggoth has abandoned SJ4. 

Feel free to publically harangue him...or not.

I have lost my will.

vyNnjt.gif

• Like 6

He only lives in Alberta - whats the excuse? Did he read your explanation of the effects on his family, marriage, and appendages? - Another easter-related tragedy....

• Like 2

I've got a really good opportunity to help grow the sport here that weekend. Some guys I know are throwing a strongman competition during and at the Calgary Stampede and want to set up a grip booth to help bring more into the fold. This'll also really help with sponsorships towards their strongman organization and thus handstrength implements, etc. for their gym and such. 

I'm guessing most of you guys don't know but the Calgary Stampede is a pretty huge event up here. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Shoggoth said:

I've got a really good opportunity to help grow the sport here that weekend. Some guys I know are throwing a strongman competition during and at the Calgary Stampede and want to set up a grip booth to help bring more into the fold. This'll also really help with sponsorships towards their strongman organization and thus handstrength implements, etc. for their gym and such. 

I'm guessing most of you guys don't know but the Calgary Stampede is a pretty huge event up here. 

And...your point is......

• Like 4

Possibly help Grip sport and the rest of humanity or go to SJ4=  All signs are still pointing at going to SJ4 😉

• Like 5

Competitors at SJ4

Competitor A: Where is lifter B at?

Competitor B: Didn't you hear? Lifter B died.

Competitor A: Man...  What a cop out!!!

Competitor B: I know, right!?!

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Geralt said:

And...your point is......

Carnival food

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Shoggoth said:

Carnival food

We will also be serving sausages with peppers and onions.  Ill bring up our cotton candy maker from the basement in your honor.  Seriously.

You will be missing an epic meal man. Please rethink this hasty (and simply bad) decision. :) 

• Like 4

Ok. This is not going to work. Guys we will probably need some volunteers for an extractionteam. Let's bring this man home. 

• Like 5

Commence Operation Abduct the Canuck!

Edited by JHenze646
Inappropriate humor
  • Like 3

Quick SJ4 Friday Update.

SJ4 officially picked up another Grip Sponsor. 

Cannon Power Works has generously hooked the comp up!

Even more cool...we may get a chance to thank Matt and Kristy personally...as they are now serious "Maybe's" for competing. 

Woot!  Would be a nice coup to get them there.

In other news...my new basement gym is progressing nicely.

While I'm doing this...I'm making more shelves for my garage.  

I'll be able to turn them all into benches to create a ton of seating for the time we are in the basement (medley, bending, feats, hanging, whatever).

I'm 90% done with all the shelving and put down approximately 25% of the plywood and horse stall mats so far.

The actual "play area" is 24' x 16'.  There are also two separate wings for extra space.

I've just started the wiring for the overhead lighting.

Starting to get pumped.  :rock

I'm throwing up a couple of pics just for fun.  I need to remind you that this is totally in transition and no where near finished.

Untitled lomg.jpg

20170421_132027.jpg

• Like 11