Sandow Grip Dumbbell

bseedot

Very strange. I've never really seen anything like that before. They'd be neat to try out if they didn't cost so much

They look like they're in great shape! I think the idea was since you had to squeeze the handle shut you focused or concentrated more when doing your dumbell work, I don't think the bells weighed all that much.

Jon@han

I saw them too, and this is what David Horne reckoned they were:

'These are the handles to a Sandow chest Expander that were produced with gripping handles. These are obviously minus the springs and expander handles'.

So, make of it what you will but as Tom said don't go broke bdidding on something that may be incomplete.

Digz.

Well I didn't go broke. But I was the lucky bidder. The guy that sold them said they were hand grippers manufactured between 1895-1910. I have not seen any grippers older than this but I suppose it is possible. Once I receive them and can inspect them first hand I will have a better understand of what they are all about. I will post some better pic's when I get them.

Well I didn't go broke. But I was the lucky bidder. The guy that sold them said they were hand grippers manufactured between 1895-1910. I have not seen any grippers older than this but I suppose it is possible. Once I receive them and can inspect them first hand I will have a better understand of what they are all about. I will post some better pic's when I get them.

Tom, what do you do for a living?

Tom, what do you do for a living?

Lottery winner? ;)

Seriously though, give all the details when you get it!

BC.

very cool dumbbell

• 2 weeks later...

These Sandow Grippers are so cool :rock Thanks Bseedot for letting me know about them. They are heavy compared to conventional grippers even heavier than the RB Brass grippers. Of course they are easy to close but who know's back then maybe they were considered tough or maybe they are just worn out. Either way I love them and plan on having them framed. I noticed on Dennis Rogers' website that he has the very same pair in his collection.

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album79/aai

Tom,

Glad you like them. I've had a few sets before attached to the expanders.

The Sandow grippers that are not part of an expander set, are made of metal with springs between. I have four sets. These include the one with the bell that rings when the poundage you have selected is squeezed and the one with the finger grips cast into the handles.

Sandow also manufactured grippers for ladies and children. The grippers were produced in many countries.

Sandow items go for quite a bit of money nowadays.

The time zone is about right. I have many other grippers from around that time, and dynamometers from earlier.

David

Wow thanx oldguy! Great website.Those grippers that David Horne was talking about with the bells look really neat. If anybody ever see's grippers like that going for sale some where please let me know.

It's a nice site run by Roger.

As I have said, I have a pair of the "Sandow's" with the bells, in their original box with polishing cloth, booklet and poster.

These are a lot tougher to find than the normal Sandow grippers, and hence the price is usually a lot higher.

Keep collecting and have fun,

David

• 3 weeks later...

I suspect David Chapman has the most extensive collection of Sandow

materials. He wrote Sandow's story- publ at the U of Illinois- excellent

book for you Sandow fans.