Benders Here

Roark

Those of you who bend metal- do you incorporate wrist curls as part of your training, and if so, please rank, in order of benefit to metal bending which of the following

types of wrist curls are most helpful:

Barbell, dumbell, plate.

Also, do you employ reverse wrist curls (I assume NOT with a plate :blink )

Thanks

I know what you mean, everytime I hear the words "Beefy Mobsters" I almost pee myself.

Joe,

I like the plate wrist curl (when I'm doing them) followed by barbell, then dumbell wrist curls. I have done reverse barbell wrist curls in the past, but my attention span is limited with such things. I prefer to bend stuff.

I hope that is helpful.

Roark,

I think the wrist curls would be much more helpful in card tearing then nail bending. The muscles used in sledgehammer leveraging (to front or rear depending on bending technique) would translate much better to bending.

I know what you mean, everytime I hear the words "Beefy Mobsters" I almost pee myself.

he he

RSW,

So, would wrist curls done in the hammer curl position,

with a leverage bar be more suited to bending metal?

If terminator's style is used, I understand that.

If the both-palms-up starting position is employed to bend, I assume wrist curls, palms up, would be more helpful?

terminator,

Are you saying that wrist curling was not that large a part

of your bending strength development? You bend, and then increase the difficulty of the metal, and make more progress?

Thanks.

Joe,

I think that bending increasingly difficult material is the best way to get better at bending. I have noticed the most progress just by bending. Maybe that's just me.

Any comments 3crusher?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but bending only utilizes the strength of the wrist in a abduction/adduction plane, regardless of bending style. Flexion or extension movements would be of little help in increasing bending strength.

Roark, just because the hands are in a palms up position at the beginning of a bend does not mean they are going to flex as in a palms up wrist curl. If using the underhanded spike bending style then they are going to adduct to bend.

I was say use a hammer or leverage bar and work the abduction/adduction of the wrist on one workout, and bend on the next. This is what I've done with great results.

Joe, I'm not a superlative bender like Pat or Bender53 but I've gone from the green nail to a little beyond the blue nail in a few monthes (around 8 monthes) without doing any sledge hammer movements. So at least just bending is clearly enough to progress in bending.

Amaury.

I'll give a very Norbert Schemansky response on this. If you want to get better at bending-BEND!!! I really think it is the only way to prepare your wrists for the twisting they take when bending steel.

Guest shovelboy

I just went down to our building's facility manager and handed him my trainer. He repped it and then asked my why I wanted him to try it. I said because a couple of guys were having a healthy debate about twisting for bending strength or bending for bending strength.

Firstly, we're all right. Jim cleans alllllll day, so he rings out his rags alllll day too. This is actually a Brookfield tip for grip.

I just busted a pencil in half. It doesn't feel like its using half twist.

Just another "twist" on the conversation.....

I agree with Strongmitts. The muscles in wrist curls don't translate well to bending. I've found my bending going up the fastest when (in addition to bending) I do slege levers from side to side 3 days a week.

Bend to be a better bender. I have a lot if ideas on bending and I have a couple of guinia pigs to try them out on. One of the keys to bending is to not think if the pain but know you can finish the bend.