Recently closed my first two goal grippers: Heavy Grips 200 and CoC#1 (small fish but I am getting there)

Liam Trott

I have been training grippers for a little under three months now and am happy to reach these closes. My training gripper was the Heavy Grips 150. After being able to rep it for 6 x 6 I changed strategy a bit with some advice. I started doing 6 x 3 reps and setting each rep at around 20mm (I passed the handle of another gripper through each time) and held the end of each rep for 3 seconds. I built that up to 6 x 4 holding the end of each rep for 5 seconds. That got me both of these closes.

Edited by Liam Trott
  • Like 4

@Norden I get what he is saying but if I have the gripper that far forward in the hand I can't come close to closing it. I basically lose all contact with the thumb pad unless it slides further back into the hand and I can barely exert any force. Any ideas why that might be?

22 minutes ago, Liam Trott said:

@Norden I get what he is saying but if I have the gripper that far forward in the hand I can't come close to closing it. I basically lose all contact with the thumb pad unless it slides further back into the hand and I can barely exert any force. Any ideas why that might be?

Congrats, it's always exiting to set new PR's.

What you need to do is simply train more, build your thenar muscles up so the gripper handle sits better in the hand. You can  do that by just training more with grippers and on top of that you can train your thumb, which you can do by pinching.

You might feel that a technique which is new to you feels weird at first but thats how it is with everything in life, it will feel better and better as you get used to it.

At the level you're at right now I think you can stick to wide set closes and focus on getting as many closes you can per workout, as you get stronger you can start focusing more on a narrow set like described in the video.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Like 3

There is more than one reason your set is killing you.

You need to split your pinky with the gripper.  LEVERAGE.

Liam.JPGpaul.JPG

• Like 1

@Fist of Fury that makes a lot of sense. I am doing pinching extensively at the moment so the thumb pad should get bigger with time which will help. It's definitely a technique issue.

@anwnate the gripper is still too far back in the hand but is the little finger placement better here?

IMG_1183.JPG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liam Trott said:

@Fist of Fury that makes a lot of sense. I am doing pinching extensively at the moment so the thumb pad should get bigger with time which will help. It's definitely a technique issue.

@anwnate the gripper is still too far back in the hand but is the little finger placement better here?

IMG_1183.JPG

The finger placement looks good there. What is your hand size, that might be the reason why the gripper handles are that far back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom Scibelli said:

The finger placement looks good there.

Great. Thank you.

What is your hand size, that might be the reason why the gripper handles are that far back.

My hands are pretty small. What measurement is most relevant for grip sport? From the base of my palm to the end of my middle finger is 6-1/2".

1 hour ago, Liam Trott said:

Great. Thank you.

My hands are pretty small. What measurement is most relevant for grip sport? From the base of my palm to the end of my middle finger is 6-1/2".

I don't know if there is a relevant hand size, but you can still get a strong grip no matter your hand size. If you have smaller hands you can adapt some exercises to suit you better. Like you could work thick bar with a 1.5" pipe and pinch at a narrow setting. And for grippers you could stick to a narrower MMS.

• Like 1

Exactly what fist of fury said.  I used to no set everything because I felt weak with a set.  Then I took the advice and startd seting every rep and in no time I was mashing bigger grippers. It's like benching "like coach taught me" then learning to arch.  It doesn't feel stronger at first but in a few months you're earning up with your old pr 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gingernaut25 said:

Exactly what fist of fury said.  I used to no set everything because I felt weak with a set.  Then I took the advice and startd seting every rep and in no time I was mashing bigger grippers. It's like benching "like coach taught me" then learning to arch.  It doesn't feel stronger at first but in a few months you're earning up with your old pr 

Setting the gripper close (20-30mm) feels fine as long as it is back in the hand like the closes above. Most of my training closes I do are with a 20mm set. When keeping it further forward, like recommended, I lose a lot of closing power and find it very hard to lock it in place with the thumb pad (as it is no longer firmly against it). Splitting the pinky with the gripper like suggested helped a lot but the forward position leaves me unable to close even my training gripper. I know someone more experienced than myself with small hands so I will run my technique by them and see if they can sort out my form. 

The back handle will slide back if you hold the gripper like this, in case you don't have a huge thumb pad:

1469973072182-682600722.jpg

Note how the palm gives you a natural "wall" for the back handle if you keep your wrist like this instead:

1469973130319-809397727.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 8:18 AM, Liam Trott said:

I have been training grippers for a little under three months now and am happy to reach these closes. My training gripper was the Heavy Grips 150. After being able to rep it for 6 x 6 I changed strategy a bit with some advice. I started doing 6 x 3 reps and setting each rep at around 20mm (I passed the handle of another gripper through each time) and held the end of each rep for 3 seconds. I built that up to 6 x 4 holding the end of each rep for 5 seconds. That got me both of these closes.

Congrats on closing your goal grippers.  Onwards and upwards sir!

• Like 1

You have really small hands, like I do. Don't let that stop you. Your gripper handle sliding problem can be fixed by enlarging your thumb pad and watching Paul Knight's gripper setting vid on YouTube a few times, along with practice.

• Like 1

@Forever thanks! Onwards and upwards it is!

@avasatu thanks for the tips. I will have a look at his videos. I am doing a lot of pinch work so the pad will get bigger.

@Norden thank you for taking the time to post those pictures. I have been playing around with placement today and I think I have finally cracked it. I have put two pictures below. The first is how far the gripper was sitting in my original set and the second is where it sits with the change in wrist angle. Sometime it hurts my palm but I think that will fade with some practice.

IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

Here I videoed some more closes. The set isn't perfect yet but I think it is much improved. Thank you to everyone for your advice and help.

59 minutes ago, Liam Trott said:

@Forever thanks! Onwards and upwards it is!

@avasatu thanks for the tips. I will have a look at his videos. I am doing a lot of pinch work so the pad will get bigger.

@Norden thank you for taking the time to post those pictures. I have been playing around with placement today and I think I have finally cracked it. I have put two pictures below. The first is how far the gripper was sitting in my original set and the second is where it sits with the change in wrist angle. Sometime it hurts my palm but I think that will fade with some practice.

IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

Great. Keep watching the setting video over and over and pay attention to the details. Train heavy singles/doubles/tripes with a parallell set (around 17mm) and you will get strong. Some TNS and CCS once in a while may be a good idea. I still hurt my palm with heavy parallell closes when I begin training after long breaks, but it definitely gets way better when your palms get used to the pressure.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Norden said:

Great. Keep watching the setting video over and over and pay attention to the details. Train heavy singles/doubles/tripes with a parallell set (around 17mm) and you will get strong. Some TNS and CCS once in a while may be a good idea. I still hurt my palm with heavy parallell closes when I begin training after long breaks, but it definitely gets way better when your palms get used to the pressure.

Thanks Norden! I will and I will get strong. I have a GHP#7 sat on my desk to remind me of my goal.

• Like 1

Push the palm side handle into your hand with opposite thumb when you set, then keep tension on it with your fingers so it doesn't slide back. Looks like for the set you are only pinching the gripper closed with the other hand, you also need to push it into your palm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avasatu said:

You could even walk your fingers more during the set I think, but it looks better than before by far!

Thank you. Yeah it definitely needs some work still.

14 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Push the palm side handle into your hand with opposite thumb when you set, then keep tension on it with your fingers so it doesn't slide back. Looks like for the set you are only pinching the gripper closed with the other hand, you also need to push it into your palm.

I am pushing with my thumb, but probably not enough, and it is definitely sliding back a little. It is much further forward than before but that part I still getting to grips with. I am doing a little work with a lighter gripper to get the technique down better.

I like your attention to detail, Liam.  You will get some great results this way - with the amount of practice you are already putting into it. 

Using a liberal amount of chalk on your hands and the gripper handles will also help keep the handles under control of your fingers. 

Your hands are pretty short (not a dig on you), so you might be more comfortable buying some narrower spread grippers - like the narrow Spectrums from CPW.  And the Silvis adjustables are narrow too. 

• Like 2

All the best in your gripper journey Liam and congrats on your closes

Dont forget exercising your extensors to avoid elbow pain 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bencrush said:

I like your attention to detail, Liam.  You will get some great results this way - with the amount of practice you are already putting into it. 

Thank you, that's quite the compliment.

Using a liberal amount of chalk on your hands and the gripper handles will also help keep the handles under control of your fingers. 

I love chalking up. It's psychological for me too. I boulder and climb so chalking up gives me a chance to focus.

Your hands are pretty short (not a dig on you), so you might be more comfortable buying some narrower spread grippers - like the narrow Spectrums from CPW.  And the Silvis adjustables are narrow too. 

This is a good idea. I like Heavy Grips because the set is slightly narrower. I will need to be able to close wider grippers for certs and stuff but will get some narrower grippers on my way there.

5 hours ago, GripAustria said:

All the best in your gripper journey Liam and congrats on your closes

Dont forget exercising your extensors to avoid elbow pain 

Thank you. Yes, I am about to order some extensor bands to start slightly more formal extensor training.

@bencrush on the subject of small hands, I am quite sure I can't do a TNS close with optimal gripper position. When I have the gripper forward in my palm I can just about touch the side with my fingers. It's only when it is way back in my palm (like my original closes) that I can get any of my fingers partially around the gripper. No biggy, I guess I will just need to get stronger for TNS closes. Photos below illustrate what I am on about.

IMG_1193.JPG

IMG_1194.JPG

IMG_1195.JPG

IMG_1196.JPG

• Like 1