48.5lb Shallow Hub PR

Jared Goguen

I think you are missing my point/intentions Jared. I might not be clear enough in my questioning. But again just to make sure I'm following this, would David pass your attempt? He talked about starting the lift slanted style = fail, so it wasn't clear.

3 minutes ago, Evan Raftopoulos said:

I think you are missing my point/intentions Jared. I might not be clear enough in my questioning. But again just to make sure I'm following this, would David pass your attempt? He talked about starting the lift slanted style = fail, so it wasn't clear.

David did not say 'pass or fail' to my lift in our conversation. He did not say " lift slanted style = fail," what he said and I quote "So when you straighten your grip this is fine. But if you start the lift with the slanted style and with a part of the middle phalange touching, then this is a failed lift"

So if you fingers are slanted and the middle phalange is touching then its fail, if your not slanted and only the tips are touching its a pass. When I start pulling my fingers are down, as in the tips and finger nails are pointed down and only the tips are touching the hub.

I think its clear.

ok so slanted style is allowed with the shallow hub, cool, sorry if I'm slow

6 hours ago, Squeezus said:

That video of David is exactly how Jared is gripping the hub, so I would assume that it is allowed.

Yeah I actually thought your hand position looked exactly like David's.  Pretty sure the intent was so that one would only use a claw grip (you were) and you couldn't try to use the hand in an upside down V-Bar or doorknob type grip.  From the video you made, only the last phalange was touching.  

• Like 2

I pretty much do this style of grip in regular hub.  I feel so weak in this lift, then again I hate hubbing. So there's no passion for it.

Like I said on the Face books, and instagram. Awesome lift. I do not think I will ever not be impressed with what guys/girls can accomplish with their hands and fingers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KapMan said:

I pretty much do this style of grip in regular hub.  I feel so weak in this lift, then again I hate hubbing. So there's no passion for it.

Like I said on the Face books, and instagram. Awesome lift. I do not think I will ever not be impressed with what guys/girls can accomplish with their hands and fingers.

Thank you my friend. I feel like the hub has always felt good and natural.

• Like 1

Let me be unusually candid on the World Wide Web. With the increased popularity of the IronMind Hub, I have seen a lot of wimpy-ass lifts when it comes to "lockout" that are, as far as I am concerned, partial lifts. That is just me, not the rules as they now exist.

That being said, my opinion on this lift as to this lockout BS...

Now THAT'S a lift!!

Finally...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hubgeezer said:

Let me be unusually candid on the World Wide Web. With the increased popularity of the IronMind Hub, I have seen a lot of wimpy-ass lifts when it comes to "lockout" that are, as far as I am concerned, partial lifts. That is just me, not the rules as they now exist.

That being said, my opinion on this lift as to this lockout BS...

Now THAT'S a lift!!

Finally...

Thank you very much.

Often in my training I use short 6" loading pins that I made, and tiny short carabiners for attachments, then when I switch to the normal stuff the decreased range motion makes everything feel easier.

• 2 months later...

Jared if you find this helps, the Ring and Pinky Finger can be used in the lift

• Like 1

On 9/12/2016 at 9:36 PM, Andrew P said:

Jared if you find this helps, the Ring and Pinky Finger can be used in the lift

Yes, on David Horne's video, he is clearly using those two fingers. 

• Like 1

Look how much lower your knuckles remain on your lift than they are in the video explaining your technique. Not to bust your balls, man. It's still an impressive lift. Keep up the good work. You're really getting up there.

33 minutes ago, mgalovic said:

Look how much lower your knuckles remain on your lift than they are in the video explaining your technique. Not to bust your balls, man. It's still an impressive lift. Keep up the good work. You're really getting up there.

What are you saying here?

24 minutes ago, Jared Goguen said:

I think he is saying the positions of your hand in the rules video and the video of your lift are quite different. In the rules video, your PIP is much more extended, and it is more obvious that only your fingertips are in contact with the hub. I think that in your actual lift it is harder to tell. And if David says that there can not be contact of the intermediate phalanx and the hub at the start of the lift, this makes your lift a little more questionable. 

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 12.39.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 12.39.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 12.39.54 PM.png

• Like 1

What's really interesting is that the people that have been around here the longest, and have the better understanding of the device and actually train with hubs think the lift is good for the most part and the those who are new, unaware, don't hub much at all and unwilling to put themselves out there publicly are the ones questioning it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jared Goguen said:

What's really interesting is that the people that have been around here the longest, and have the better understanding of the device and actually train with hubs think the lift is good for the most part and the those who are new, unaware, don't hub much at all and unwilling to put themselves out there publicly are the ones questioning it.

Doesn't make any questions they might have illegitimate, man. Not jumping on either side of the argument here, but you should be able to defend yourself without resorting to questioning the credibility of others.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, avasatu said:

Doesn't make any questions they might have illegitimate, man. Not jumping on either side of the argument here, but you should be able to defend yourself without resorting to questioning the credibility of others.

I feel like it does, if someone wants to say the lift isn't legitimate then there ability to judge something should also be open for judgement.

I personally feel like the lift is good and I'm proud of what I have managed to do with my hub work.

If people for whatever reason feel like my lifts are cheating or im being dishonest with them there's not much I can say here, I do my very best to be clear and open about what I do and if that's not good enough then so be it.

All I'm saying is it is entirely possible for someone to have a valid opinion despite them not being a hub connoisseur. Particularly people who have been doing other kinds of grip work for awhile and are likely to be very familiar with judging processes. I DO think though that just saying "lift is bad" without being willing to discuss or justify is total crap, though.

• Like 2

Sometimes the easiest way out of this is to intentionally "cheat" and lift more, to clearly demonstrate a lift that breaks the rules, which helps explain why the rule exists.

I've never tried to doorknob lift on a hub, or tried only 2 fingers for that matter.

Looks good to me fwiw.

1 hour ago, avasatu said:

Why should he have to "defend" himself?  This isn't a cert submission or a contest.  Just check the (bad word filter)ing lift.   Everybody on here is quick with the "that's not right" line, or "OMG YOUR PINKIE!!!!" , but I don't see that many people posting videos of them doing anything.  How many people critiquing others have EVER submitted a video cert or gone to a comp?  Pretty low percentage, which obviously questions the credibility of the person making the comment.  There's a reason so many world class gripsters abandoned this site.  

Edited by Mike Sharkey
  • Like 4

Wtf did we become such pansies that a lift cant be questioned because we been on here for x amount of time. Your lift is good and you know it. Explain why, if he doesn't get it, tell a hater to (bad word filter) off.

39 minutes ago, Mike Sharkey said:

Why should he have to "defend" himself?  This isn't a cert submission or a contest.  Just check the (bad word filter)ing lift.   Everybody on here is quick with the "that's not right" line, or "OMG YOUR PINKIE!!!!" , but I don't see that many people posting videos of them doing anything.  How many people critiquing others have EVER submitted a video cert or gone to a comp?  Pretty low percentage, which obviously questions the credibility of the person making the comment.  There's a reason so many world class gripsters abandoned this site.  

That is BS. Not everyone here is critical for reasons other than the lift itself.

Just now, Jose Cabrera said:

That is BS. Not everyone here is critical for reasons other than the lift itself.

Totes.  Not meant to lump everyone together.  However, many on here talk, comment, and tear down others without ever posting a video of themselves.  Others are just keyboard warriors.  For many people it can be a leap to put themselves out there publicly.    I am one of the nit-pickiest people I know, but I think we can still be very technical while supporting and encouraging each other.  

I think my hub lifting technique is fine by I would like to hear opinions.

This is exactly what you're getting.  Different people, all at widely different levels of expertise and training, looking at the same thing developing different opinions and interpretations. No one is calling you a cheater or saying that you don't work hard. Anyone who spends even the smallest amount of time delving into the world of grip will realize that you have the utmost respect for the world of grip, its regulations, and its growth and that you're putting in the time day in and day out, a lot more than most people, to grow.  All of that is readily apparent. 

I am one of many people who has not posted very much on here in terms grip feats (mostly because I just have not accomplished much), and I will be the first to admit that I am coming from a standpoint of partial ignorance here. Be that as it may, I was clarifying a previous question raised with what I saw from the videos compared to the rules you posted. From this data, I developed my opinion, which is just speculation like Jedd said. 

On 6/17/2016 at 6:10 PM, Jedd Johnson said:

My advice:  message David directly on this bro.  He's the one that'll give you the best answer.  It's just speculation from everyone else.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jared Goguen said:

According to what I saw, and what you have taught me about the rules while reading this blog, it appears to me that the lift has a chance of not standing in competition due to possible contact of the side of the middle finger's tip of the middle phalange with the hub. That being said, I appreciate you showing your videos. Congratulations on how far you've come. Also, you did something I thought was impossible: Make reading the rules interesting.

• Like 1