2016 South Jersey 3--Tom Scibelli

Tom Scibelli

Been very busy the last couple days, but finally able to sit down and write the about SJ3.  I didn't realize until I put Nates address in my GPS that it was only a 2 1/2 hour drive from my house, it went by pretty fast.  As I was approaching my 9th or 10th week on my RT program, I realized that I would be peaking very close to the contest date, so Nate graciously let me do a CTD try, which went good!  We did it before the comp started.  Then we took a pictures in one of the most awesome grip shirts there are, I think those shirts are a tie with CPW shirts as my favorite!  Then as we posed for a picture and then all of the sudden we hear this yelling coming from the driveway, it was none other that NAPALM!  Really cool surprise.  The best thing about this contest, besides all the awesome prizes, awesome events, awesome food, awesome contest organization, awesome garage gym, was meeting so many new people! Matt, Anton, Mike, Nic, Anthony, Frank, John, Don, Jose, Carl and I'm probably leaving people out, but these were all awesome people I hadn't met before, also seeing E.J., Chris and Nate again.  It was also awesome meeting Chris "Wonder" Schoek and Mike Krahling too.

The first event was block set grippers, I hadn't trained those in so long I had no idea what I would do, but they felt surprisingly good and on my third attempt I closed a 144 #3, I missed a 153 on my final attempt.  The flask went ok.  I was hoping for 80lb, but ended up with 76 I think, which I was still happy with.  Don was going for the win on this event, but I don't think he had a good grip on it before he lifted, a few seconds later he walked up to it and lifted it no problem.  I forgot to mention on grippers Anton's intensity picked up and he was screaming at the gripper to shut, but everyone thought he was yelling a Jedd, who was judging lol.

Next was the crusher.  This event was definitely my favorite, the crusher literally felt like it was stuck in my hand, on my fourth attempt I set an 11lbs PR, I then went for a fifth and six attempt, I got 176lb and then just missed 180, I think I'm in love with the crusher now.

One of the coolest thing about this contest was that Nate had the forethought to make all of his implements weigh a round number, for example, I still remember the Flask and loading pin weighs 4kg, the crusher and loading pin weighs 7kgs.  This made added weights up so easy, even with a non-math person as myself.  The other cool thing was Nate had a giant banner made with all the kilo conversions, this also made weight selection a breeze, I even got to point to the numbers like Vanna White lol.  Btw Nate, unknown to me, is my first sponsor to NCGC II, by providing a custom banner like the one he had for kilo conversions.  Probably one of the coolest things anyone has ever given me.

We then took a break for lunch, the food was awesome.  The ribs were out of this world, I also a bunch of sausages, but mostly ribs.  Oh yeah I forgot Wojo showed up at some point.  I was talking to him about his diet and how he lost a lot body fat with a carb night type of diet, really interesting stuff.

Next we headed to the back yard for some RT farmers walks, man John, Nate, Mike and Matt killed it!  I tried to do a fast approach and ended up losing my balance very quickly lol.

Then it was bending time, at this point I knew that we needed to start to head home, but I want my sons and me to bend something, I also wanted to see Chris and EJ bend something.  I got to see Chris bend a huge bar braced, but I didn't see EJ, I'll catch the youtube click.  I bent a 345 bar, it was hard lol, I so out of bending shape, wish I could've stayed longer, I think next time I might get a hotel.

Nate ran an awesome contest, full of ingenious ideas, has anyone else noticed he detailed oriented and it showed in the quality contest he put on and a very large one at that.

Oh yeah, I have more videos coming, I just left my video camera at Nate's Doh!

• Like 6

Great writeup, Tom. I'm glad to see your boys getting involved in grip and doing so well. You had strong lifts too! That 180 was super close. I'm going to have to eat my wheaties for NCGCII for sure.

• Like 2

Great write up man - thanks for the intensity nod hah - i was inspired by you getting the ball rolling with that ctd cert - congrats again!

• Like 2

Was awesome meeting you @Tom Scibelli. The crusher won me over also. That thing just has a nice solid feel to it. 

• Like 2

Excellent write up.  That 200 by you to kick things off was some moment.  Also you brought up the t-shirt, it was fantastic indeed, i came in wearing plain white t-shirt, and noticed I caught a stain on it, I was quick to change.

• Like 1

Congrats again on the CTD and Contest win.  As I said in your profile...Tom's a beast! :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Squeezus said:

Great writeup, Tom. I'm glad to see your boys getting involved in grip and doing so well. You had strong lifts too! That 180 was super close. I'm going to have to eat my wheaties for NCGCII for sure.

Lol thx Gil!

12 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Great write up man - thanks for the intensity nod hah - i was inspired by you getting the ball rolling with that ctd cert - congrats again!

12 hours ago, canthar said:

Was awesome meeting you @Tom Scibelli. The crusher won me over also. That thing just has a nice solid feel to it. 

11 hours ago, MRabich said:

Excellent write up.  That 200 by you to kick things off was some moment.  Also you brought up the t-shirt, it was fantastic indeed, i came in wearing plain white t-shirt, and noticed I caught a stain on it, I was quick to change.

9 hours ago, anwnate said:

Congrats again on the CTD and Contest win.  As I said in your profile...Tom's a beast! :)

3 minutes ago, Don Smitley said:

Yes congratulations on ctd was fun to watch and also congratulations on the event win 

Thanks guys it was awesome getting to meet you all (except for Nate, I've already met you!) hope to see you all in September or next year at SJ4!