2016 June - South Jersey 3 - MRabich

MRabich

Prior to this contest I have not competed in a sanctioned event since powerlifting meet back in 2010.  About 3 month ago I ordered a flask from Barrel Strength, and at the same time I experienced an increase in my axle strength, both on deadlift and clean, so I thought maybe I can try a meet.  However there are still grippers left.  I posted on gripboard that I wan to participate and Nathaniel Brous contacted me shortly and he suggested I meet up with Anton Torrella who trains and lives very close to my job.  Anton worked on my set of  grippers, and told me to go. amd that I'll do fine.

About 3 weeks before the meet, Nathaniel contacted me if I can pick up and bring Chris Schoeck.  I agreed, Nathaniel told me to keep this a secret.  Google estimated travel at 2 hours, so I picked up Chris at 06:30, he came down with these long bars, my though was "is this dude really going to bend this" and we left for Jersey.  I was concerned whether my car can make this trip, cause it's on its last legs, but despite the noise it makes when I hit the accelerator it made it just fine.  When we got there, a couple of competitors already were there, I had my first beer to relax myself. My earliest memory of the event was seeing Tom Scibelli's son and Tank Andrade's son walking in a hand stand, I was impressed.  Then Tom Scibelli did Crush To Dust Challenge, monstrous feet, 200 on RT is crazy.  Right after that the competition began.

First event were grippers.  In training I closed my unrated GHP5, and Anton's 106 COC2 they felt about the same, so I opened with 100, I believe I forgot to set it, but closed it nevertheless.  Second attempt was 104, I believe I pinned the setting block to deep between the handles, and it was hard to overcome that for me.  Third attempt I made 104, and made 109 on my fourth.  I took an unofficial attempt at 113, but missed it.  

Then came the flask, I was concerned about this event, it's very dependent on skin texture which imo can make for a 10 lb variance.  Nate had bar soap in his bathroom, it does better of getting the oils out than liquid soaps.  I got credit for 30 kgs, drew some air on 32 kgs, which would of put me in 70 lb club.  Next time.

I never touched crusher before but I had high expectations of myself there.  There were 2 crushers for warm up, and right away I knew that I wont be pulling the poundage I was pulling on Rolling Thunder.  I got credit for 63 kgs, narrowly missing 66, perhaps I should have made smaller jumps, and perhaps tied Matthew Hunt, who was the second place finisher with 65 kgs.

After that we had more drinks, vodka shots with Anton and Don.  Jose brought some fancy beer with habanero flavoring, tasted great.  Food was served then.  Maureen made great ribs, chicken and sausages, I had a lot of food.  All the people that showed were awesome too, just great atmosphere, everything was positive.

Next was the RT farmers walk,  First couple of guys struggled there, I knew it be tough for me, I managed to walk about 70 feet last 30 feet were excruciating but I managed to complete the course back and forward,  I was pleased with myself, but Matthew Hunt not only beat me, he whooped my ass by 50%, and after him Wojo and Nate squeezed additional 50 feet!  Then came the medley it was fun, though I missed 4x10 lb pinch, however I hit 45 on the hub, which I did not expect.  

Great time overall, I'm thankful to Nate and his wife for making such first class event.  Sponsors provided awesome prizes.  Can't wait till next year.

• Like 10

Forgot to add it was awesome to see Chris Schoeck perform, first with scroll work, I never seen that before but wow, it was impressive.  Then he bent a 5 inch nail, everything the man did was incredible.

• Like 4

Great meeting you. Hope to see you again next year.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, canthar said:

Great meeting you. Hope to see you again next year.

You too, you the first person I met with skill on the maces.

• Like 2

Was a great time so glad to have met so many great people and cannot wait to see all of you again 

• Like 4

Thanks.  Glad you had a great time.  It's funny...it didn't look like you were suffering on the RTFW.  I think you surprised everyone with your strength (except Anton I guess).

I hope the positive experience means you will be continuing to train Grip Sport and compete in future events! :)

• Like 2

I need to get better on the grippers and also pinch, specifically wide pinch, like that half 90 york i got from you, i'll be stronger next year.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jose Cabrera said:

Theres more beer where that came from my friend! Lets hang out asap!

The Queens crew deffinitely needs to gather and train on the regular bases.

• Like 4

Saturdays around 3pm and most weeknights around 6pm - anyone whos around and can make it is always welcome - I acquired a small charcoal grill to match the fridge of beer too - party lifting

• Like 2

could a washed up father from outside philly also visit?

• Like 2

One of my favorite things i watched at this event was the intensity of Anton.Torrella on grippers it was awesome and thanks for the beers bud great guy

• Like 3

Always - I love washed up fathers - or very dirty fathers - of the cloth or otherwise - definitely man, I'll figure out a date and let you know!

• Like 1

Also I know I told you already - but awesome farmers walk - it was kind of you to set down the implements and give others a turn

• Like 1

And thanks for the heads up Don! Gotta bring it on comp day - great competing and hanging out with you - def do it again soon