Tennis Elbow Related Questions

temmmeeee

So I've been hesitant about posting on here. It's my first post and I don't really know if I'm even doing this right and I know there's a bunch of posts on tennis elbow already, but I have read those and am still curious about some things. I think I've had it for around 6 weeks or so due to overtraining with grippers because like most noobs we get too addicted. I finally gave in and have been trying to control myself for about 2-3 weeks by avoiding grippers and heavy curls and other forearm exercises. I've been making sure to hit extensors with the rubber bands and got a tennis elbow brace (for those looking to get one make sure you measure your arm because the first "one size fits most" one i got was way too tiny). I try to heat it a few times a day as well. The pain hasn't really changed and I'm eager to start up again. At the moment, I feel even doing the trainer would probably irritate the elbow. I am planning on purchasing Jedd's fixing elbow pain program regardless, but I've got a few questions.

1. I'd like to know for those who have/had it how long it took until the pain subsided and they could begin lighter grippers. Is there is anything else I should do to help this frustrating healing process?

2. I'm a bass player and I've got a nice sized rig that I have to move a few times a week. Can this further damage my already damaged tendon or will I be okay continuing?

3. I'm not sure if this can have an effect on the injury and its healing process, but my arms do not fully extend. My right (injured one) extends even less than my left. Does anybody else also have this problem and have you gone through an episode of tennis elbow? It's a pretty noticeable thing and to give you an idea of how far my arms extend here's me hanging lowest possible during a set or pull ups (I'm assuming pull ups should be a no-no for my healing process right?).

But yea I apologize in advance if my ignorance or newbiness offended/annoyed anyone or if I broke any of the rules or anything. Again, I'm really new to this and forums in general. Was just hoping I could get some insight from some guys who have been in my shoes and have experience with this god-aweful thing. Thanks a bunch! :D

-Tim

Screenshot_2016-06-01-17-45-19.png

Welcome Tim!

Ive had tendinitis in both my arms on both sides.  It sucks! Here's what ive done to deal with it.

1. Get jedds book, the info will help more than you think.

2. Fish oil, chia, flax, actual fish and anything else with omega 3.

3. Do bodybuilder style work for your arms (upper and lower). Tendons have a limited blood supply, you need to flush the surrounding muscles so that they can get enough nutrients and flush out old gunk.

4. Slow down, this grip stuff is like climbing a tall mountain. Go to fast and...well you know.

5. When its gone, try your best not to do the same thing that aggravated it in the first place.

Best of luck in your recovery!

Had elbow problems when I first started heavy into grippers, extensor bands fixed it. Had more elbow problems, bicep but mostly tricep work fixed it. Pushups and dips. You need to keep a good balance across all the joints.

If the arm extension thing means you don't work triceps at all, that's a problem.

Generally, super cissus from usplabs helps a lot with joint pain. So does DMSO. Do some research on those, they won't necessarily fix the problem but will help you work through it.

Laying off for a few weeks is good sometimes, but it won't fix anything. At some point you need to carefully work through this stuff.

P.s. this is a good crowd, by far the best forum I've ever been a part of. Everyone is here to help.

I had it for about 6 month. As soon as i started to work the ring finger and pinky with a light gripper upside down the pain went away. 

Golfer's elbow (medial epicondylitis vs. the lateral epicondylitis of tennis elbow) has been discussed in a few spots, but you can use the same remedy to help with it.  It's called flossing or voodoo flossing.  I discussed it in my workout log at the bottom of page 5 as well as on page 3 of Justin Matney's log. It's really great for 'flushing the gunk out' as Jose mentioned above.  Also, I would try doing some contrast baths for your arms.  Kody Burns has a great description of this in his 'Grip Well,' but basically you have a setup where you alternate putting your hands/forearms in super hot water and ice water.  It works wonders as well. 

If you can't extend your arm that can most definitely contribute to the problem. Voodoo flossing and all that band stuff can aggravate the elbow sometimes when it's already inflamed. Be careful with that. This article came out a while ago: https://www.t-nation.com/training/lifters-elbow-the-cause-the-cure but might be worth reading. Also, have you had any soft or deep tissue work on your arms by a good therapist?

Use some anti-inflammatory balm and rest. After that do what people have suggested so far.

I will also add, when training with grippers use strict form. Keep your arm straight and don't jerk it around trying to do reps you can't do strict, you can save the non strict reps for the PR attempts. When doing heavy deep set closes and low rep work don't just let go of the gripper, release it slowly. If the only thing you do is squeezing you will create muscle imbalances.

Wow! Thanks for all of the replies everybody! I'm going to definitely get started on this now. It's good to know I can still work out, I wasn't sure if I was going to have to stop most upper body lifting or not. The arm extension thing is just something I was born with, think I actually noticed it when I was like 12. I haven't had any deep tissue work but was considering it. Again thanks for all of the great suggestions, excited to give em a shot. I'll let people know how it works out a bit down the road. :)

I would advise to avoid NSAIDs as they slow healing. Warmth and gentle compression. Especially overnight. Sleep with a good compression sleeve on. 

Flushing with the warm and cold as said above can work well for many people too. 

Self massage and manage how much you piss it off. Tendons are finicky and healing can take 6+ months or longer if you regularly aggravate it. 

Plenty said above about fixing muscles imbalances. 

@temmmeeee, if you'd like advice from a Professional Therapist who has treated hundreds of cases of elbow pain, as well as a fellow Gripster who has fixed elbow pain multiple times, then please check out our ebook/video program Fixing Elbow Pain.  This is the exact program @Jose Cabrera mentioned above (thank you for the recommendation, Jose).

• Like 2

I had tennis elbow on my left  (fretting) arm and some wrist issues in my right wrist from playing guitar. Where I'm going with this is your bass playing might have something to do with this as well so I'd take it easy in that department too for the time being. 

5 hours ago, beef_supreme said:

I had tennis elbow on my left  (fretting) arm and some wrist issues in my right wrist from playing guitar. Where I'm going with this is your bass playing might have something to do with this as well so I'd take it easy in that department too for the time being. 

Thats really strange, it should be the other way around if anything. It's the fretting hand that has an awkward angle for the wrist and the picking hand should be more vaulnerable to "tennis elbow" if the picking technique is poor, like so called elbow-picking. Most bass players pick with their fingers though so it's a completely different thing. Poor technique while playing instruments can definitely give you problems but I'd say it's more likely it's the grip training that is the cause, if the problems occured after he started with grip training.

This is what worked for me:

compression cuff Around the area while at the gym (I used the mike bell, slingshot one) 

different finger exercise to strengthen my lower forearm (used rubber bands around finger tips, like the ironmind rubber bands)

gua sha with a stone knife. (It's painful but it did wonders for my arms and forearms). 

Everyone has had their things that work, just experiment and see how you feel. But try to do it without meds first. 

6 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Thats really strange, it should be the other way around if anything. It's the fretting hand that has an awkward angle for the wrist and the picking hand should be more vaulnerable to "tennis elbow" if the picking technique is poor, like so called elbow-picking. Most bass players pick with their fingers though so it's a completely different thing. Poor technique while playing instruments can definitely give you problems but I'd say it's more likely it's the grip training that is the cause, if the problems occured after he started with grip training.

It's actually super common. Standing up while holding the neck of the guitar + moving the fingers up and down the neck few hours a week puts quite a bit of strain on the fretting arm's elbow. Sitting down or pulling the strap up high helps a little bit but doesn't prevent it if you shred for hours every day.

Picking hand- constant up-down wrist movement can lead to all kinds of problems in that area which it did that for me. Finger style playing is different but also strains the wrist/forearm area and is not uncommon to cause issues. There's all kinds of info on the interwebz on that subject. 

• Like 1

Beef Supreme makes a good point.

I had to switch to holding a guitar in a more classical position -

neck pointed up at approx. 45 degrees and body resting on left leg.

Absolutely depends on limb length / body type.

1 hour ago, beef_supreme said:

It's actually super common. Standing up while holding the neck of the guitar + moving the fingers up and down the neck few hours a week puts quite a bit of strain on the fretting arm's elbow. Sitting down or pulling the strap up high helps a little bit but doesn't prevent it if you shred for hours every day.

Picking hand- constant up-down wrist movement can lead to all kinds of problems in that area which it did that for me. Finger style playing is different but also strains the wrist/forearm area and is not uncommon to cause issues. There's all kinds of info on the interwebz on that subject. 

Okay I guess I'm lucky then, haven't occured any problems for me with 16 years of playing :D

I did have some wrist pain in the fretting hand when I first started but it subsided very quickly. I do have my guitar fairly high up though, so that might be the reason I haven't had any problems. I've always found it very uncomfortable to have it really low, so that might be something to consider. Bass players usually have it higher up as far as I've seen though, it's probably too difficult otherwise with the longer scale.

Edited by Fist of Fury

On 6/3/2016 at 1:40 PM, Jedd Johnson said:

@temmmeeee, if you'd like advice from a Professional Therapist who has treated hundreds of cases of elbow pain, as well as a fellow Gripster who has fixed elbow pain multiple times, then please check out our ebook/video program Fixing Elbow Pain.  This is the exact program @Jose Cabrera mentioned above (thank you for the recommendation, Jose).

I'll second Jose's recommendation for the elbow pain program in which Jedd worked with Rick Kaselj.

No, I am not a stranger to numerous elbow rehab stints that worked well, yet Jedd is not kidding about Rick being a superb therapist. He put put some exercises and progression levels that I had never considered. 

Jedd has some interesting information in the program as well.  I was impressed throughout the program and use it regularly to maintain healthy lower arms.

Edited by 33wes
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, 33wes said:

I'll second Jose's recommendation for the elbow pain program in which Jedd worked with Rick Kaselj.

No, I am not a stranger to numerous elbow rehab stints that worked well, yet Jedd is not kidding about Rick being a superb therapist. He put put some exercises and progression levels that I had never considered. 

Jedd has some interesting information in the program as well.  I was impressed throughout the program and use it regularly to maintain healthy lower arms.

@33wes Thanks a lot for the compliments to the program.