Sore from grippers anyone?

Geralt

When I do thickbar, specially when I haven't trained for a while, I can get this deep doms in my lower arms, specially halfway my lower arms. Will last for a week. When doing heavy wristcurls, I can feel sore for a week through my whole lower arm. 

But, with grippers, no matter how intense, i never experience doms or soreness the next day. I feel when squeezing a gripper, that strength is gone, but sore? Nope. Anyone the same? Which one of you can get really sore from grippers? 

• Like 1

Exactly the same here. I have never felt soreness (the normal type) from grippers. I can get ache in tendons and joints and feel fatigued but I never get the normal soreness you get with all kinds of training.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Geralt said:

When I do thickbar, specially when I haven't trained for a while, I can get this deep doms in my lower arms, specially halfway my lower arms. Will last for a week. When doing heavy wristcurls, I can feel sore for a week through my whole lower arm. 

But, with grippers, no matter how intense, i never experience doms or soreness the next day. I feel when squeezing a gripper, that strength is gone, but sore? Nope. Anyone the same? Which one of you can get really sore from grippers? 

Hmmmm.  After a particularly good session...my hands almost feel broken for a couple of days.  It's like a deep ache that can take up to 72 hours to disappear.   I don't know if that qualifies as "sore".  I can tell you that I love the feeling...since I associate it with future improvement.

• Like 1

Well, you wrote this to me a while ago and I - also in the past of course - really tried to get this feeling from doing heavy grippers. I mean, today I did forced closes from wide sets for 10 reps of multiple sets with the 3.5 and the 4. You would think this would beat the hand up, specially after not doing these in a loooooong time. But no, no sore feeling at all now. Not like with thickbar, where an hour after training, this aching feeling can start playing up already. 

I am having this idea that grippers are the only implements that stand out in terms of general hand strength (as in least beneficial but also the strangest 'duck in the pond' of all implements). Most exercises seem to have correlation to each other but with grippers, no correlation at all. Very strange. When I do thickbar I kill my gripper progress. Gripmachine does not seem to correlate with gripperstrength at all for me, while the movement is pretty much the same. Somehow the setup doesn't transfer. So...grippers are mostly tendonbased strengthrelated? I mean every tendon is attached to an flexormuscle, but doing heavy wristcurls for the flexors, doesn't add one pound in gripperstrength in my experience. But, in reverse, adding wristcurls to my program kills my gripperstrength and drastically increases recovery time. 

Edited by Geralt

How frequent do you train thick bar? For me that aching you describe that can appear only hours after thick bar training stops when I train more frequently. Once a week is not enough, I need to train at least twice per week for it to disappear.

• Like 1

The most I'll get from grippers is something that feels like strained triceps.  Probably from not adequately warming up though.  I don't recall getting meaningfully sore from grippers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

How frequent do you train thick bar? For me that aching you describe that can appear only hours after thick bar training stops when I train more frequently. Once a week is not enough, I need to train at least twice per week for it to disappear.

At the moment I don't, because it interferes with my gripperwork. I would need to space out my workouts even more and that wouldn't do my ccs technique any good. Being able to close average #3's makes me walk on my toes already. But I get your point, it's being 'untrained' in that discipline what makes the soreness. Still, if I wouldn't train grippers for weeks or months, I am sure they still wouldn't make my hands sore. Which is strange, because hands have muscles also and with high reps one would expect building up of lactic acid and such waste products.

Edited by Geralt

Too much gripper training strains the lumbricals in my hands for some reason. I don't really get very much forearm soreness from it, but then again I don't train heavy very often compared to most of you guys. I did some closes in the 150-166 range yesterday, though, and I don't feel sore at all. My wrists from the sledge hammer work, however... :blink

• Like 1

I have a couple of training protocols in my bag of tricks that can still elicit soreness and DOMS like you mentioned. It is possible even in experienced intermediate to advanced athletes with the right protocol. Not easy or comfortable to do them right though. 

• Like 1

I don't get soreness, I do get a dull ache in my palm after prolonged high volume work (usually after 6 weeks of RRBT)

yet just 3 max attempts on the rolling thunder can give me stiff forearms for 4-5 days

• Like 1

Sore palm and the tissue on my fingers gets sensitive, knuckle pain and stiffness, but usually that's it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Geralt said:

At the moment I don't, because it interferes with my gripperwork. I would need to space out my workouts even more and that wouldn't do my ccs technique any good. Being able to close average #3's makes me walk on my toes already. But I get your point, it's being 'untrained' in that discipline what makes the soreness. Still, if I wouldn't train grippers for weeks or months, I am sure they still wouldn't make my hands sore. Which is strange, because hands have muscles also and with high reps one would expect building up of lactic acid and such waste products.

Yes absolutely. I was thinking more of the immediate soreness and ache you can get from thick bar training, the piercing kind of pain you can get if you go heavy when the handle slips down and off your finger tips.

I agree that it's very strange that people don't get normal soreness from gripper training. The thenar muscles are getting bigger and bigger and I never felt soreness in them from grippers. With pinching the thumb pad gets sore. With grippers I feel nothing :D

Maybe it's because the muscles are too small???

• Like 1

My hands would get extremely sore but not until I was performing the daily KTA type workouts.  Forearms? Never really.

• Like 1

My hands would get tired & feel weak if I did a lot of grip stuff though a couple of days rest and they'd be fine.

But when doing the KTA program I did notice what felt like a very deep 'itch' seemingly between the two bones of the forearm... quite maddening as I couldn't rub the affected area (KTA definitely works though!)

• Like 1

Usually I don't but a little more than two week ago before I travelled to China I did final grip session and I did grippers  (usually other things when I have the time to train as grippers I don't like much) and felt sore. But was all doing tns and no sets. I also perform what I call Alawadhi set. It's just picking up a gripper using tns but with one shot I close the gripper. No setting techniques even with tns there is. That is just pick with one hand and no gripper placement whatsoever and close. I did many reps with coc 1 and 2 and no sets with 2.5 and damn I got stiff forearms. Then again usually I don't get them from gripper but kast workout was something else

• Like 1

Pick up and close reminds me of something John Brookfield mentions, hanging from a string and grab/close and toss/catch/close.

8 hours ago, wobbler said:

Pick up and close reminds me of something John Brookfield mentions, hanging from a string and grab/close and toss/catch/close.

Now this is harder! Just remembered it too. Gonna give it a try