2015 September - National Capitol Grip Championship - JHenze

JHenze646

National Capitol Grip Championship

My wife and I made the short 4 hour drive to DC on Thursday so we could have a day to go to the museums before the comp. Both days had outstanding weather high 80's and sunny.

We arrived at Tom's gym a little after 9 for the contest(DC traffic is bizarre) and Tom welcomed us at the door. I was a little surprised that more people were not attending the contest. I got to meet John(Wojo) and Gary and say hello to Gil and Maria. After I weighed in at 230.2(sheesh) we headed into the gym.

We started to warm up as Nate arrived. Nate arrived like Santa Claus passing out a gift here and a blob there. Tom entered all the contestants names into his scoring spreadsheet which he had displayed on a 30+ inch flat screen tv. This was a real professional move and something that could be emulated at other contests. He had weight breakouts built in different tabs for each event and an overall sheet. When I asked him if he had been emailed the sheet, he said he had made the entire thing from scratch. Wow!

Tom video taped the rules and equipment for the Crushed to Dust challenge and Gil went first easily making all three challenges. Tom went next and pulled the rolling thunder off the ground with authority only to lose it right before lockout. It was so close. He broke the the Rolling Thunder off the ground several more times but was not able to secure a full lift this day. I passed on my chance to try the challenge because I knew my rolling handle strength was not enough yet.

The first contest event was CCS grippers. I started conservatively and worked up on each attempt nailing a hard 141 close. I had never done a CCS set event before so this was very good considering my best at NAGSC was a 145 with 20mm block set. Gil smashed a huge 169 gripper and Nate who went last and right after me closed a 142.

Let me just say that I believe all individuals are free to do whatever they choose with their bodies. While there was the judicious use of Nose Tork throughout the day, I did not partake of even a whiff. I have tried it a time or two but it is not for me. Watching Nate take a monstrous hit made my nose burn and eyes water.

1hp was the second event

Tom's Euro was fairly pristine in my experience. Jedd's, Brent's, and Mr. Rice's euros, which I am used to competing on all have much more texture. I worked up at 58 mm with John, Gil, and Nate. I managed a 86+ lb. lift which I thought was a PR but at least ties a PR from Gripmas two years ago. However I am not sure which hand that was with. I hopped 91 lbs off the ground but no lift.

Both of Tom's sons competed in the contest making serious and competitive lifts in each event. It was awesome to watch them lift.

Third event was 2.5 Crusher

I missed 146 on my third attempt but succeeded to get the lift on my fourth.

As this was one of the first times the 2.5 Crusher was being contested, Maria not only set the women's world record but broke her own record moments later with another successful lift. Hopefully she will defend and further her record at King Kong. Gil was finished warming up by the time everyone else had finished their attempts. He proceeded to make several monstrous lifts.

The final event was a medley. All items lifted to an 18 inch platform in two minutes. I was able to miss the baby inch several times before succeeding and I need to bring my blockweights back up.

All in all it was a great contest. Every event ran smoothly and quickly without feeling rushed. A big shout out to Tom for a phenomenal first contest and all the people who sponsored or helped out. I still can't believe more people didn't show up for this event.

We had to leave shortly after the contest ended to drive home which was a good thing because several hard downpours slowed our trip home arriving around 9:30 pm.

John, Nate, & Gary it was a pleasure to meet and lift with you. Gil and Maria a pleasure to compete with you again. I hope to see everyone further down the road at future contest.

Tom, thank you for having us. I can't wait for the next National Capitol Grip Championship! And good luck at your meet.

• Like 4