2015 June - South Jersey 2 - richcottrell

richcottrell

Belly full; liver placated; hand webbing raw; elbow sore; arms stronger; fingers tingling; mind still dizzy!

What more could you ask for?

A huge thank you to Nathaniel and his family for opening their doors to us for this weekend’s Grip-Together.

As the new guy, it was super cool not only be invited, but also to be so warmly welcomed by everyone. The food was great, and the garage gym is more like a temple of grip.

I was able to “play” with many things I have never even touched before.

Here area few:

1) Parris brought his original home made Saxon Bar and boy that felt great. You can see this implement on his youtube channel. It has a good texture so I really felt lifting it was grip exercise and not a game of friction. Very cool thing. Thank you for bringing it.

2) Nate had one of his anvil trainers on a pin [it could have been the little big horn, but I never asked) and Jose was cool to show me how to grab it to stretch the skin. This was also well textured, so again I felt like this was a real grip developer.

3) David Horne’s Stub Top. This thing is just crazy! I think there was 25lb on it, and it was glued to the floor for me. I did not even bother to put less weight on it, as it was just that humbling to touch.

4) David Horne’s Shallow Hub. I own one of the Sorenex hub trainers [which I do not use in training yet], but this one is just sooo different. I still do not truly understand the “rules” for the official lift, but I was glad to try this out.

5) Sledge Hammers. I only own a big one – like 18 or 20lbs-- so I have never even tried to use it for grip training.

When the hammers came out it was fun, and also humbling. I never realized how much stress this puts on the elbows. I actually tweaked an old college injury using the lightest one there. And it still hurts today. I should have taken advil when I got home Sat night, but I decided to keep drinking beer instead…

But I also realized this would be a good exercise for BJJ as your basically training yourself in an armlock position. If I still was doing BJJ, or if I ever take it back up, Sledge work would be on the “to do” list.

Next time I go to the hardware store, I might have to look for a smaller sledge.

6) Grippers. I did not touch them. I am proud of that. But Nathaniel had an awesome collection, and I like the cabinet. I store mine hidden in one closet and I put them sideways on one small shelf so they take up less room. Not nearly as appealing as Nates spread, but it helps make my collection look smaller then it really is. I am always worried my wife is going to flip out one day.

I hope you able to fill in those gaps to your collection someday.

7) Bending. OK, I have never actually bent before this weekend. While I did buy Jedd’s e-book a while ago, I just hate reading off the computer, so I never read it yet. I also got Jedd’s DVD, but I still have not watched it 100%. That is not meant to be a bad review at all, just to give you an idea that while I am interested in bending, I have yet to even sit still for an hour to have a top guy tell me what I need to know to get started.

So this weekend, after watching Parris bend for what I believe was his first time, I got up the nerve and asked Nathanial to show me how to get started.

And Nathaniel was cool enough to get me started!

I think he started me off with a White nail. I was able to get that with “chicken wings” and then he set me up with a Blue.

That Blue was just not happening. The man himself EJ came over and he coached me as I tried with no avail, and Jose also had some super detailed instructions for me.

Still the numbing pain in my fingers was stronger then I could have imagined. This battle of mine with the nail went on and off for a while as we were all about to take that group photo.

Finally Jose took the nail from me and kinked it, but still that nail was stronger then my fingers. At one point I think everyone was cheering me on, but still that Blue stood unfazed.

I do not know what finally made it happen; it could have been Chez’s wine breath, or EJ yelling at me to elbow him in the face, but finally, that pre-kinked Blue humored us all and it bent. With cheers I was able to get it down to exactly 2inches. I had extra help for sure.

If I had tried bending for the first time alone, I would never have pushed through that hand pain by myself. I would have stopped for sure.

Also, after how long this all took, and considering EJ had already been bending some serious steel, I seriously thought the guys measuring it “gave it to me” but later Nathanial re-measured and said it was exactly 2iches.

So, I got to take home a cool souvenir from the get together.

I had to leave soon after that, but the tingling in my fingers was heavy the whole drive home. They are still sore today, but the smell on that nail makes up for it. Thanks Nathaniel, EJ, Jose and Chez, as well as all the guys.

I just ordered some ¼inch cold rolled steel!

I forgot to mention, Nathaniel’s bending department in his gym is very cool and well stocked. EJ was kind enough to explain the while Drill Rod lettering system, and it was also just cool to see the old coffee tins being used for storage. Reminded me of my grandfather.

My only regret was not staying later, but I can only push the wife so far.

I agree with Jose, it was a great day and an awesome group. I also left with a great feeling that I am sure will keep the spirits high for a while.

I am also sure the experience will be a good personal motivator for a while.

Nathanial also gave me a cool picture of Jaha to hang in my basement gym. That will also be a good motivator.

Thanks again Nathanial,

rich

• Like 4