2014 May - South Jersey 1 - anwnate

anwnate

Quickie contest report. (for me heh)

Having the house to myself for a short time longer and the gym nearing completion…I decided to hold a non sanctioned (no 30day notice/posting, no calibrated plates) contest to break in the new home gym. I decided to keep things down to 3 attempts per event to keep the time in check.

DSCF2631_zps98bc5508.jpg

Manna arrived early with buds Mike and Frank and got the dollar tour of house and home. He brought with him some small blobs, an anvil , the Manna-Nuff and baby inch…and possibly most importantly gatorade and beer. J

Mannanuffblockweight_zps6106ccd4.png

Wojo was next and apparently made a 2 hour trip in an hour forty (despite traffic).

Chez was a last minute addition to the entries, but thank goodness for that because he's now attending Nationals (due to a side bet).

After some show and tell about the new gym…we had perhaps the longest warmup to mankind, while I grinded the Manna-Nuff's evil edges and smoothed out a number of rednails.

Although I had committed to not receiving a prize prior to the comp, while warming up with grippers I decided not to even bother to keep my score. I literally couldn't close a 132 mms. Side note…I worked so hard for weeks on the gym, my hands were cramping at night. My grip was at quite the low point yesterday.

With 20mm blockset grippers (all CPW rated), Chez put on a clinic…hitting both the 180 and 185 out the gate…forcing a jump to 197 (my 190's out on loan. We will never know how good he'd have done since he botched the set pretty bad. He still took it down to a 1/4"…crap set and all.

The only thing more impressive than Chez putting a beating on grippers, is Chez putting a beating on Wine. Those poor poor grapes.

hulk_zps932cb12f.png

Couldn't find Hulk smashing grapes...Hulk opening grape soda must do.

Wojo had a massive PR slamming the 159 with a nice hold. I think he would have gotten the 162 but he attempted/missed the 167 for mental considerations (going into Nationals). Manna wasn't feeling it today and crapped out on 144. Mike was new with grippers and after a powwow about the set, hit 80 and 84 darn easy…prob has another 10 in the tank without any improvement. Frank hit 111 easily but missed 121 due to a poor set (says me). I bowed to peer pressure and made my attempts. Got 144, 150 and missed on 162. I was pretty shocked to hit the first two after missing the 132 in warmup.

Axle. After a scare on 323, Wojo rallied for a dominant 338 for the win. Chez made 313, 323, and 333. On the last he made a deal with Wojo that he'd go to Nationals (BAD ANKLE AND ALL) if he hit 333. He did it with such ease…got to wonder if he's been sandbagging. lol Mike missed at 270 and Frank at 313. For a newbie, he hit 303 with such ease I wondered where Manna found these guys. Manna again wasn't feeling it and was extremely conservative hitting all three but ending at 280.

IMHub. Manna's time to put on the clinic. He started with the top number that Chez, Wojo and myself all achieved (Wojo and I PRd) 65lbs. He followed it up with 70 and 72.4. He missed 75 on a non-contest attempt. Mike and Frank both JUST missed 60.2. It should be noted Mike did this with his OFF HAND. Again…my newbie IM hub attempts were in the low 40s. Jeez.

The Deadly Medley was a lot of fun and the tiebreaker for Chez and Wojo. I decided to reward two hand training by giving a point for both left and right lifts. I'm not a cardio fan…so I'd like a 1 minute …or 10 minute medley. 2 is painful and 4 is just brutal for me. I choose 2 minutes since there was no way I was choosing 4. We used the top two sections of both jerk box towers to make a 20"x80" x 20"high loading platform. Lots of easy and tough stuff on there. Quite a few things I can only do while fresh. Manna and Chez got 21 a piece. Wojo ended with a solid 27 (he pointed me) for the win. I included Wojo's medley below.

Final placings were Wojo, Chez, Manna, Frank and Mike.

All in all, there was great camaraderie…a ton of shouting and good fun.

After the contest..we bent a few Red Nails and finished a few brews.

• Like 4