2009 June -1st Annual Woodall Grip Challenge - climber511

climber511

The Big Show

Don’t take a knife to a gun fight! That pretty much sums up the way I felt at this contest. I was simply outmanned at every turn – it was quite a line up of athletes. But unlike many others – I wouldn’t have missed it for the world! I guess I just will never understand why there were so many who chose not to attend.

The venue was outstanding and for the first time at any grip contest I have attended – there was plenty of help – loaders, scorekeepers, gophers whatever. We had a warm up area where we could do squats etc – a locker room – the works! We contestants didn’t have to do much of anything except concentrate on the job at hand and visit with each other and the crowd. I am only guessing but there were perhaps close to 100 spectators and an announcer to keep them informed about what was happening – the crowd really got into it – really supportive of us athletes. I was pleased at the comments from some of them about how interesting and fun they found it. A video guy (professional – not home video) – interviews, introductions - first class all the way. Jonathon Creason officiated and refused all the bribes I tempted him with. There were NO freebies for anyone – he did a great job – his experience in grip and other strength sports showed. I don’t know if any of those people read this board but Chad please convey mine (and I’m sure everyone’s) heartfelt thanks for all their hard work. For his first contest – Chad really set the bar for future contests – well done buddy!

The only competitors I hadn’t met before were Mobster and Ryan. It’s funny how the impressions of people turn out in real life compared to the one you get from an internet forum. Ryan turned out just like I had expected – a really nice and very strong guy but with a surprise gorgeous girlfriend – who was as nice as she was pretty (old guys can talk like that without getting clobbered – I hope). Steve on the other hand didn’t. I had pegged him wrong – it’s hard to say exactly what I had expected but he was a very pleasant surprise. The internet cocky – kind of in your face persona I thought would be there simply wasn’t – instead he was a giving, always helpful old pro competitor that was really fun to be with. You could see a bit of the showman etc as he worked the crowd at times but the first guy to congratulate someone on a lift – the first to offer a tip – or hold the chalk bucket was always the lad from across the pond. Now the story of how Steve’s British Flag shirt he brought over here ended up on the back of an old boy from Ohio will have to wait for another day. We’ll only say that Steve is a lousy coed naked mud wrestler and leave it at that – for now hehe! Thanks for the shirt buddy!

I was more relaxed than usual for me at a contest – I think knowing I was going to get beat to a pulp kind of made it easier. Something I thought interesting to see in a group of experienced competitors like this was the switch from relaxed to ready to go in a couple seconds when their name was called. It’s a valuable skill to have that everyone there possessed. That ability to turn it on and especially off is a big deal.

I need to take a minute and give a HUGE Thank You to Vint and Susan – the couple Chad arranged for Brent and me to stay with. They (and their four dogs) were worth the trip all by their selves. We got the tour of Athens and were treated royally – awesome people! I also need to say that Jedd, Aaron, and the infamous Paul Knight are a bunch of lightweights for not going out Sat night with us. Sissies! But oh my head hurt – you may have been wise! Thanks to Rex as well for his kind offer of a place to stay with him and his family also.

Brent and I rode down together – it made a long ride bearable – and as close to fun as 10 and a half hours in a car can be – thanks my friend! And man, you can eat!

My personal comp. I had that same fuzzy headed feeling that Brent and Zack talked about – I think it was just too long in the car, too many beers the night before, and a not so great night’s sleep. I didn’t feel “on” but when it was game time – I seemed to pull it together OK.

Knowing I was in real trouble on grippers I relaxed and started with the 2.5 – then the easier #3 for a miss (a bad set even for me). After a little coaching (and laughter) on my setting technique by Jedd and Steve – I came back and closed the next harder gripper above the first #3 – I know I did another gripper in there somewhere but can’t remember what it was. Thanks guys! My practice lift at home was my 146# number 3 – I would guess the gripper I shut at maybe 152# or so???

Two Hand Pinch – I opened at 205# and it felt good – second attempt was 215# and it also felt good. I jumped to 225# and not a lot happened – maybe an inch or so. Of course I took the same for my fourth – maybe a couple inches this time and a torn off thumbnail was all I got to show for it. Practice – I peaked three weeks early here – I had done 335# but the week before game time, I was struggling with 220#.

Axle – I was leary about my back here but it wasn’t an issue at all, 334 – 344 – 354 all felt OK but I could tell I didn’t have much more. I tried 359 and was very close but couldn’t get my hips through at the finish and Jonathon rightly called a no lift – it might have got thru somewhere else but not here. Practice – this was the weight I was hitting consistently here at home –with a 360 lift just a couple times and a close miss at 365 once.

Rolling Thunder – I felt good during warm ups but started light anyway. I’ve never had a competition result to compare this to but it was an all time PR for me by 8# so I was real happy.

Medley – in practice I had done several of the items but I just didn’t have it when it counted. I wasn’t the only one who looked down at their hands and called them for the weak traitorous things that they were. I finished last with two but while I had hoped for 4 or 5 – it wouldn’t have mattered at all. Practice here at home – I was hitting my 6-10s, 3-25s, 2-45s (just a couple times), the 2HP, and I figured I could get the phonebook.

So I pretty much did what I expected to do overall but was a little disappointed with my 2HP number.

The People

The Chad – first of all – just a big “job well done” on the contest. Chad is a beast but it certainly wasn’t just the Chad Show – he would have only needed to slip a tiny bit to have lost out – but he didn’t.

Big Steve – the Big Gripper Man – period! And not too bad at anything else either – a great show buddy! Thank you for everything you did for me. You set a great example for us all!

Andrew – Little Big Man – at only 20# or so heavier than me – he shows me my problem is I just plain need to get stronger and quit whining about being too little – I’m too weak is all!

Jedder – he never complained or even mentioned it but I know his thumb was killing him and has been for some time. He just quietly did his business – and did it darn well considering!

Aaron – complaining about the heat in Georgia – what’s the matter – it doesn’t get hot enough out in the desert of Arizona? You looked off a bit compared to the last comp I was in with you but still crazy strong!

Rex – Mr. Potential. I still have trouble remembering Rex has only been training grip 20 months I think he said? Rex and I talked training at the after party for a long time – God but I was tired and brain dead – I hope I made some kind of sense with what I told you. It seems you have mentally not gotten on top on your game quite yet also. The sky is the limit for you!

Paul – The Sissy! That has nothing to do with his competition but how he invited Brent and I to go out and then wussed out on us! I know Paul had been hurt and unable to train very well beforehand – still a great job buddy! I have to wonder if there was anyone there that wasn’t injured in some way?

Ryan – Quiet Man – much stronger than it appears from the overall results – go back and add in a fair result in the Axle that he Bombed and things might look a little better. He’s strong enough to play but mistakes cost him dearly.

Me – I had a ball – if I am ever to get better at grip comps – I need to settle in and not do a Highland Games one week, then go climbing, then an Olympic Lifting meet, kettlebells, etc and work the darn grip events some. I still set a gripper like a rookie for example and that needs fixed. I think I can do better than I have shown – I just need to focus on it for a while and pull my head together better. I need a better mental game – shed the self imposed limits I seem to have picked up as baggage here lately.

Brent – also hurt pretty badly lately and tweaked his back again on the Axle. I know he didn’t feel well on contest morning either. He’s a bit like Rex, a lot of potential that time will fix – he also does a lot of different sports too – and some focus might help a lot.

Zack – young – young – young! Zacks grippers were way up this time but this beast of a contest was just too much for him. He looked almost lost as times – like he couldn’t pull his mental game together when it was needed. That’s not normal for him – he usually has a good competition head on him – off day.

And that’s all I have to say about that.

I saw Aaron’s new gripper with the light in the handles and got a chance to try out Bob Sundin’s magnet loading set up on the Inch DB. These have to be the best innovations in Grip that I have seen in a very long time – nice job to both of you!