2009 June - 1st Annual Woodall Grip Challenge - Acorn

acorn

First off I want to thank Chad and the sponsors of the comp. It was well planned, organized and executed. Not only that but everyone involved was super professional and made everyone feel very welcome. The Facility and equipment was first class as well and the addition of 100ish spectators really kicked it up a notch on the intensity scale. I'm really glad I made the trip out to steamy Georgia for this one. Chad, you put on a hell of a show my friend.

I had a hell of a good time, got about 7 hours sleep total between Thurs, Fri, and Sat nights. Got nice and drunk then night before with Paul and messed around with one of the #4s I brought way too much (not a good idea :D) Despite these things and the fact that the comp was geared more for boys of a bit larger handed persuasion I was very happy with my performance. I did the best I could on Saturday and did not leave anything in reserve. It was good as always to meet up with old friends and make new ones. Anyone who had a chance to come out for this comp and didnt sure missed a show. Hell I even learned a few new things. So here is my thoughts on my event performances. Grippers, mine have been in the toilet for about 2 months and my god it was early. So not unhappy with closing a SE for the 3rd place tie. At my peak I could have closed harder but not Sat. 2HP had a little trouble getting going on this one. implement had gotten a little greasy during previous attempts and I didnt recognize it until it slipped out on my first attempt at 215. A little chalk helped that. 225 came up easy third attempt, and 235 I got to about 1 inch from the bar but just could not finish it. Axle, Happy with my performance here. a sizeable comp PR at 379# for me and only 3# under my training best. I think I got 384# to my knees before it came out. Also good to Tie Jedder for 3rd on this and beat Rex. :D Rolling Thunder, nicest handle I've used. I think I got a close to 20# PR over my own handle with 226. Got 231 about half way up as well which was cool. Medley, what can I say it was brutal. I got 8 items on it and a couple close misses on items I prolly would have got if I had tried them a little earlier in the medley. by the end hands just didnt work. I believe I got Blob, 6 10s w R+M, 2 45s hub, 2 45s pinch, 3 25s (very tough, outside plate was splayed open on way up but I held it), phone book, red nails (boy time was winding down on those and had a heck of a time getting 2nd one locked in under chin, and 215 2HP. had close misses on vbar, and little big horn. After we finished I was able to pull both of those and clean and press a 45 by the hub.

Chad, great job tough to beat as always. your medley run was sick and your hospitality was much appreciated.

Steve, very good to finally meet you my friend. I enjoyed competing against you and the show you put on. Also enjoyed talking with you and wish I had a chance to talk more. Maybe next time. Steve truly was the strongest on grippers on Sat. No question in my mind, probably strongest most other days as well. Seeing you close the other 2 #4s I brought after the show was a surprise even for me after everything else. I look forward to competing against you again some day.

Andrew, Damn strong comes to mind when I think of your performance. It was good to meet you and talk with you for the brief amount of time that I had a chance to. you bring your pinch up and I think your gonna give all of us top guys fits. Your thickbar strength its just sick. I look forward to competing against you and talking more in the future. Congrats on your new world record in the axle. I hope you can make it out to an AZ comp one of these days as well.

Jedd, tough as always Brutha! It was pretty close between us all the way thru this thing. I enjoyed hanging out with you as always. you put on a great show for the spectators and us as well. I look forward to the next time we can meet up.

Rex, thanks for letting me beat you again. your a good friend for doing that. :D I thought we were gonna have more time to catch up and sorry I didnt make it over to your family's house after the comp. I was just too damn beat.

The Paulinator, Damn son you put up a good performance for being injured. you had me a little worried on grippers I have to say. Way to abstain from my attempt to get you to do a bunch of gripper closes the night before. I thought the whiskey would work but I just couldnt get you tor drink enough of it. I'll try harder next time :D Looking forward to the next time we can compete together and hang out.

Ryan, It was nice to finally meet you man. I had a good time hanging out. Bummer aout the axle, but other than that you put on a good show my friend. Looking forward to meeting up again. Hope you can make it out to AZ some time.

Chris, Geezer Power! It was good to hang out and compete with you again Chris. I'm glad you made it out and looking forward to meeting up again some day soon. It seems like your stronger everytime we meet.

Brett, It was good to meet you. I enjoyed talking with you during the comp and look forward to seeing your strength only increase in the future.

Zack, I'm glad we had a chance to talk some. you have an iron will my friend and a never quit attitude when it comes to this stuff. I love to see that. That kinda thing removes the limitors that normal people have when it comes to performance. As a result your only gonna get stronger and better in the future. I look forward to competing with you again. Also I could not watch your Barefoot Sumo Axle DL. the no shoes toes 1" from plates on either side vs max DL was just too much for me. I was sure they were gonna be turned to goo on the platform. But you managed to get them out of the way somehow at the last microsecond. I'm really glad you did.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn