2008 December - Santa Claws Grip Get Together - The Natural

The Natural

My Write-Up

First, I'd like to thank Richard for showing me the many pieces of history in his gym. I'm sure he could have talked for several more hours; it seemed that everything in his gym with a patina on it was the subject of an iron game story involving some great athlete or another. Even for those with no intention of training, a visit to Sorinex is worth your time. I got to handle the circus dumbbell used every year at the Arnold Classic, the Inch dumbbells that Mark Henry famously cleaned, and as many blobs as I will ever see in one place. Thanks to Richard for letting me play with, and not just hear about, these items.

Richard didn't lift much himself, but his demonstration for competitors on the 2-finger Silver Crush event stands out in my mind. From where I stood, he seemed to close it mutliple times with two fingers, with no warm-up. I thought I had a chance at this event when I saw this, though the hope left me when I gave the gripper a squeeze.

As for the competitors themselves...

I had a lot of respect for Chad's pinching abilities before the contest, but it increased when I saw him lift the 2 45's that nobody else could move even an inch. What is more remarkable is that he lifted them both with his right and his left hand. His blob work was also remarkable. If he tried, I think he could have done a farmer's walk with the two Original Blobs for a distance of 30 feet or more. I believe this because I made it 15 feet with an Original Blob in just my right, and Chad still has me beat on blob strength. Before the contest, Richard announced that nobody had ever picked them both up at once. Chad immediately walked over to them, picked them up, and held them, just as he did when it was time to lift them again in the contest. He was the first to lift them both at once, and I was second.

Tex had a finger injury on his left hand, and so this limited his post-contest feats somewhat. Based on his performance during the contest, however, you would have thought his hands were in perfect shape. He seemed much more mellow than the three other competitors. While Chad, Rich, and I were all very focused and full of adrenaline, Tex seemed to have no need for any psyching up in order for him to do great grip feats. The videos will speak for themselves; Tex has unbounded potential in this sport. I wish he would begin to compete in more standardized grip contests.

On the drive back, I wondered what Rich had done in his life to develop such strong hands. I understand he has some football experience, but most of the linemen I know seem to do nothing but injure their hands rather than strengthen them. It must be something else. If Richard is right about Rich's lack of grip training, I have a hard time believing he has not used his hands in some other role like hard manual labor, etc. This much ability just doesn't seem possible without some sort of growth stimulus. In any case, a great athlete who, like Tex, would become a top competitor if he only would compete in some standardized grip contests. He's the sort of guy that this sport needs in order to grow. Another bar-raiser.

Again, thanks to Richard, House, Bert, and others or putting on this contest. And thanks to the competitors for putting on a show. I think even those in the audience who knew nothing about grip were filled with awe.

-Rex