2008 September - United States Grip Championship - Odin

odin

Hello All,

well done to all of you - I am really impressed by the numbers that you Guys posted, it makes me feel weak.

Well done Bob, it's good to see you get on the platform and get stuck in. You should be proud of yourself.

Once again, well done.

Best wishes,

Laine

Thanks Laine! It was a very well run contest. I fumbled on the grippers and bending despite Eaton's lessons, think I could have bent the G5 despite almost non-existent bending experience if I could have had his coaching during the contest. I probably toasted my pinch a bit playing with Josh Dale's Slick50 Blob on Thursday as well as some reverse bending with John's coaching (Eaton can fill you in on how I did)-this threw my neck out of whack until I was "adjusted" on Friday . I pulled 333 or so on the Axle to about knee height after getting 323 (about 1.9x BW). Barely missed 187 and cut both thumb webs on the Euro-then superglued). Jedd's medley was top-notch, some real tough items (wish I would have tried Andrew's dumbbell). I was really proud to win the Diesel Award and am aware that it is a great honor, thanks guys.

Here are some of my impressions of the contestants, etc.:

Smitty: did a great job as judge and helped me with my fumbling gripper technique. I thought I learned the set some from Eaton, but my tenuous "grasp" of proper setting technique came unraveled under the pressure of the comp (I have some kind of learning disability re: learning from observation, am better with books it seems). I've always wanted to meet Smitty, so I was real happy that he was there. I wish I could have talked to him more.

1. Chad: Certainly as impressive strength-wise as I anticipated, much more warm and friendly than I expected (probably an introvert and may be perceived as aloof as I sometimes am due to concentration and intensity). His wife was great also, very patient and helpful.

2. Jedd: incredible man and great athlete, very supportive and helpful (again). The medley idea was a big hit and hopefully will become a trend-setting contest innovation along with Chris Rice's wide selection of choked grippers at Gripmas. Thanks to him and Delraine for the fun party and food afterwards.

3. Andrew: "Diesel" defines Andrew, how can you top his blackout during his gripper attempt? I've certainly never squeezed with that much intensity (but will now). I first noticed he has some preternaturally muscular and vascular bulges writhing under and stretching the paper-thin skin on his setting forearm during grippers (can't imagine what his gripping hand's forearm must look like during a squeeze). :blink Could anyone be a more perfect and versatile athlete all-around? I'm sure he could impress at an NFL Combine, Crossfit, Strongman comp or whatever he put his mind to. Humble and good guy as well.

4. Paul: Very soft-spoken, easy-going and thoughtful, but a fierce competitor and very sportsmanlike and thoughtful as well. I can't wait to see his reaction once he pulls the Blob, it will happen soon after he fully believes it will. I wish I lived closer to Paul, as I'm sure he could teach me a lot about grippers and bending.

5. Rex: I think Rex's competitive sports background may have given some the wrong impression of him, but in person he really seemed to "grasp" the brotherhood of what grip competition is all about. He will be an upper tier competitor in the sport as long as he wants to, an unbelievable talent. My wife admired his callipygian assets and is curious about his training.

6. Eaton: Really made us feel like family in his home and gave me the "VIP" treatment, which floored me; he is an even better man than I previously thought, which is saying a lot. I feel inferior whenever I see his wrists/forearms and all the freaky things he does with limited training. When he manages to train a little bit and get through a whole contest without sabotaging himself on any events, watch out!

7. Brendan: I already knew he was very nice and a great guy from his PMs (don't let his intensity when he's bending in his videos make you think he's mean). What I didn't know was how well-rounded he was; I'd thought of him as a "bending and gripper guy" but he proved to have a great pinch as well.

8. Nick: Very quiet and helpful, I believe Nick cares about the brotherhood of the sport much more than any personal glory. He reminds me a lot of Eaton with his great performances with limited training, has tons of strength and potential.

9. Chris: This man has a greater presence about him without speaking a word than anyone I've ever met and looks like he could be "Slim the Hammerman's" brother. He projects an aura of unshakable confidence and imposing strength. Chris appears to be a muscular statue that has come to life until he shakes your hand and you see he is truly corporeal. He is my role model in strength and graceful aging without a doubt.

10. Brent: Astonishing improvement since Gripmas despite his Highland Games injury! He's definitely one of the more interesting characters in the sport and I expect continuing great things from him. His pinch improvement was especially noticeable to me.

11. Josh: I didn't get to speak to Josh much; I could see he was very focused and didn't want to bother him. He is very young to be already doing the great things he's doing and has plenty of time to attain all his goals. I hope to speak to him more next time we meet.

12. Zach: It was good to see Zach make it to the contest, it would not have been the same without him. He looked a lot more confident than Gripmas and his pinch improved nicely. Zach, PM me your address and I have a surprise to send you on "extended loan" that you can keep until I beat you.

I'm still sore in my hands, lower arms and traps and haven't even thought of training yet, but I will finally start training some bending and grippers after Eaton sends some of mine and his back in chokers, that should make some of you who have been after me to do those things happy.

Eaton and I were no-setting the #2 gripper on Sunday, and it was funny how much we were hurting and laughing. Maricel even did some good gripper work (closed the Trainer in a choker and held it shut barely missed it unchoked), bending and learned to use the speed bag.