2008 June - AOBS Reunion Dinner - Hubgeezer

Hubgeezer

Had a great time over the weekend. Saw some people from past AOBS weekends, missed some from past weekends, and met new ones. I had attended in 2005, 2006, and 2007 with my son. This time my older brother, a hard core Iron Game Enthusiast (he is a Moderator on Roark's Iron History forum) was there as well. We didn't travel together, but were together much of the weekend.

Other than what I just said, this will only be about my Certification attempt. Anything I post (if I do) about what David Prowse had to say about the Inch Dumbbell (he owned it for roughly 3 decades, and he was the actor who played Darth Vader in the Star Wars movies) will not be included in this thread.

Randy was very flexible as to "when and where" the Certification would be. After thinking about it some, I wanted it to be Saturday, in the afternoon. After getting there and seeing how it was laid out, I thought it would be best if it was between 1:30 and 2 in the afternoon, which would mean it would be after the "collectors" meeting, and before the "wisdom of the ages" seminar. I knew my brother would be attending the collectors meeting, and we both would be going to seminar featuring Tommy Kono and others. I found a large area at the back of the hotel that was like an unused lobby, and it was not in the way of the tables that had been set up by people selling books, shirts, supplements, etc.

I brought my own grippers from home to warm up on. Having rested for 5 days, they felt like plastic grippers. After I was warmed up, I gave a squeeze of my IM 3.5, about a 75% effort, and it went down to one of an half inch from closing. I was ready. Iron Man magazine was shooting it for their website, so it was a little odd to be standing like you were on television with Randy and an unopened gripper in the package, and an emcee (the Mighty Stephon, an entertaining strong guy with a radio-media deep voice). Around 20 people assembled, a few of them gripboard folks (Dave and Julie Hartnett, Chris Rider, Aaron McKenzie).

In my hand, the handles felt more knurled than old IM grippers, and in my hand, as I was lining up the handles with the credit card, it felt like it was going to be easy. After I gave the first attempt my best effort, I knew I had not closed it. I was bending over in a crouch trying to squeeze it shut, not the way I do it at home. At home, I stand up, and am looking at what the distance the handles are apart, whether it is a close, etc. I asked Randy, "what was it, around 1/16th off?" He said, "I don't think it was that much". He had a camera and was able to capture good stills. I said my second rep was usually my best, and felt I would get it. I think my mistake was not taking 3 or 4 minutes the way I would do it at home, and instead just waiting 90 seconds and trying it. I don't know how far it was on the 2nd try, as I put it down away from me, trying to squeeze what I knew inside was not closed. Strossen called it "a razor blade", and he seemed to want me to get it, but it was not there. My son insisted that it was closed, looks at the picture on the display, and says something that only a loyal family member can say:

"Dude, that's a close."

Randy rightfully did not buy it. I waited on the third around 2 minutes, and it was probably in between the first and second rep. I waited 5 minutes on the 4th, and it was about the same as the first attempt.

So, I think the range was from 1/16th away at worst on the weakest attempt, and 1/36th or so on the 2nd attempt.

What would I rate the gripper? Hell, hard to say, but I will throw out a range: It was tougher than a 3.0, and it was easier than a 3.3. In all probability it was in the middle of that. So, to be fair, it was a real good gripper for Certification. I said that under no circumstances, would I be ready for a "Mutant 3", those suckers that we have all heard about or seen.

No complaints, my only technical flaw was letting myself feel rushed on the second attempt to keep the thing moving. Randy was great, he was fair, and it was a respectable effort. I don't feel embarassed, and am only moderately disappointed.

I don't know if many folks know who Tom Kelly is. He was one of the performers that night, and is a damn good bender. I do not believe there are 5 better horse shoe benders in the world than him. After it was over, he chalked up, and squeezed it down to one-half inch. I think it relieved Randy to see it was not an "easy 3". Randy stares at it for a second or two, pauses and says, "Mike, you're strong".

Next time, whenever I tell him "I am ready", I won't have any trouble convincing him.

Thanks again for the kind words of encouragement from all of you.

Mike Corlett

Edited by Hubgeezer