2006 December - A Gripmas Carol - climber511

climber511

Here’s a complete write up on the 2006 Gripmas Carol. Fun Times!

Chris Rice

2 Hand Pinch @ 1” – 170#

Axle Rack Pull – 6” – 400#

Bending – IM Red & FBBC Bastard Bar later on

Slim Sledge Lever – 24#

Hand and Thigh – 975#

Sean Rice

2 Hand Pinch @ 1” - 130#

Axle Rack Pull – 6” – 305#

Bending – IM Blue

Slim Sledge Lever – 24#

Hand and Thigh – 1200#

Josh Rice

2 Hand Pinch @ 1” – 130#

Bending – 6” Grade 5

Slim Sledge Lever – 0#

Hand and Thigh – 975#

Sean Dockery

2 Hand Pinch @ 1” – 130#

Axle Rack Pull – 6” – 355#

Bending – 60d

Slim Sledge Lever – 20#

Hand and Thigh – 1000#

Nick Rosendaul

2 Hand Pinch @ 1” – 150#

Bending – 6” Grade 8

Slim Sledge Lever – 24#

Hand and Thigh – 1200#

Stew Rosendaul

2 Hand Pinch @ 1” – 150#

Bending – IM Red

Slim Sledge Lever – 24#

Hand and Thigh – 0#

John Scribner

2 Hand Pinch @ 1” – 70#

Axle Rack Pull – 6” – 215#

Bending –IM Yellow

Slim Sledge Lever – 0#

Hand and Thigh – 515#

Joey Carr

2 Hand Pinch @ 1” – 130#

Axle Rack Pull – 6” – 355#

Bending – 6” Grade 5

Slim Sledge Lever – 0#

Hand and Thigh – 1000#

Brent Barbe

2 Hand Pinch @ 1” – 130#

Bending – 6” Grade 5

Slim Sledge Lever – 0#

Hand and Thigh – 975#

Notes:

The two hand Pinch was done on my copy of David Horne’s Euro pinch set at 1”.

It’s my Iron Mind Axle – not a homemade bar.

Bending was done with leather wraps for everyone – most bends were done DO but a couple Reverse style were tried also.

The Slim Style sledge lever was a set up of my design. Conduit clamps and bolts held the handles about 5” apart and pretty solid – wrapping the bar in leather meant no marks on the handles. We did them off the edge of a gymnastic mat – the weight reported is a total for the pair of hammers – up from the floor – stand with them and lower down to the head and back up. We had to start at a pair of 10# hammers so a few people got a zero – next time I’ll have a pair of 8s. I believe if we had had 14# sledges, a few would have done them. The 16# ones proved too much even though Sean Rice had them moving several inches. One problem with them was the handles were two different lengths on the 16s. You need to try this to gain a real appreciation for Slims abilities – WOW!

The hand and thigh lift was wild. We started at 435# - my homemade bar is 35#. The Handle Bar was 1” in diameter. We judged the lift good if both ends broke from the ground. We added 90# each time and you just kept going till you failed – the only time we went down was so we could try for an even 1000# - that seemed to be the goal for most of us. I know I have small bruises on my thighs from locking my fingers against them.

The after show – well the before and during show too I guess. The only thing done with grippers was the calibrating. I saw Doc passing his Blob in a figure 8 around his legs as usual. Several people were doing full squat snatches during warm ups and Doc front squatted up to 130K – not too shabby! I’m sure I missed a lot while trying to write everything down – video etc. People were doing something all the time.

Every time there’s a contest or a get together – there’s someone that comes out of the woodwork that no one has ever heard of that is just flat strong. This time it was Brent Barbe from Penn. – a Highland Games guy. I don’t think he’d ever even seen most of this stuff before but here are a couple of his lifts (besides the comp ones). On a 1.9” V-bar, he pulled 215# I think. On his 3rd pull ever on the Bomb – he pulled 164# - which ties my and Greg’s old WR. Having never bent before, he ended up kinking a 6” Grade 8. Pretty impressive stuff! Along with it – he’s a super nice guy. He also told me his dad’s watch fits around the top of his forearm – and Brent has some large forearms – his dad must be a big’n.

Nick and I think Stew did 2-45s and I got them perhaps 4” off the ground – I’m getting closer.

My lifts of note were an IM Red Bend on video with witness’s. Also a FBBC Bastard Bar that Acorn (Arron Corcorran) so kindly sent me to try – also on video with witness’s. My Bomb lift was 175 1/4# which beats Brain by 1 ¼ # if I remember correctly. I floated 180# but no go.

We ate a whole ham and a large pot of chili in no time flat afterwards. All in all it was an absolutely incredible day. Old friends and new – this is what it’s all about. This was the first year we had spectators – how about that? Next year I think I’ll just do it again.