Race to lift the 50lb blob

Evan Raftopoulos

whoever wishes can join! So far it's me and @Cannon

feel free to post your progress/training here. 

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

far from 50lb and I'm sure nothing impressive to people here :P but first time trying this with a blob

• Like 1

Nice!! Try to facelift, flip it around and grab it the normal way mid air with the same hand! I have done that with a 30# on Monday and it was fun stuff!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, burkhardmacht said:

Nice!! Try to facelift, flip it around and grab it the normal way mid air with the same hand! I have done that with a 30# on Monday and it was fun stuff!

This is how the boss is doing it.... Wade flips a 50#

Too bad my hands are too small for this. A 40# is the limit for me - or a 35# ... :sick:   

Forgot about that feat.

8 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Forgot about that feat.

I think we should add this kind of feat to the records lists because it's really cool and is a good addition to the blockweight feat list.

23 hours ago, burkhardmacht said:

Nice!! Try to facelift, flip it around and grab it the normal way mid air with the same hand! 

I don't think I can do that right now and if I try it in the apartment and I miss my landlord will kill me!  maybe I'll take the blob to the park one day and try it.

3 hours ago, Evan Raftopoulos said:

I don't think I can do that right now and if I try it in the apartment and I miss my landlord will kill me!  maybe I'll take the blob to the park one day and try it.

Yes, that possible blob crash was the first thing I thought about when watching Your video and Your floor! :laugh  But I also noticed that Your hand might be optimal for this kind of trick. It looks as if Your span between thumb and pointer finger is big! That's a real advantage for block weights. Did You already try which is the biggest blob You can possibly face lift?

• Like 1

Just hold it over the couch. Also helps deloading a bit if you start on the cushion.

Edited by wobbler
"start"
  • Like 1

I have lifted by 35# fatman with 5lbs added, pretty easily.  I will continue to add weight to that sucker.  Otherwise I'm currently working with my 43# fatman.  The extra width is a show-stopper for me right now.  I can drag it around but only toward my fingers.  I'll work on dragging it toward my thumb.  Also, I can hold it in the air with some added pressure on my thumb from the other hand.  The good news is that I have a few ways to work with the 43# fatman.  The bad news is I can't gauge very well how much work I have to do to get a good lift.  Then, the final step would be adding weight to the 43# until I'm over 50. 

In other pinching news, I got a pretty easy 70# 1HP on my Euro last night.  That was part of my warm up for blobs so I didn't push that higher, but will on other nights.  The most I've ever done is 78. 

That's basically where I'm at now :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, burkhardmacht said:

Yes, that possible blob crash was the first thing I thought about when watching Your video and Your floor! :laugh  But I also noticed that Your hand might be optimal for this kind of trick. It looks as if Your span between thumb and pointer finger is big! That's a real advantage for block weights. Did You already try which is the biggest blob You can possibly face lift?

I can easily face lift the 32lb blob, I just tried it, I think I might be able to do what you are talking about with the 32 if I practice outside. I tried to face lift my 41 lb blob and that's actually harder than trying to lift my 50lb blob. Those three are all I have. Only the 32 is fatman. 

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

11 hours ago, wobbler said:

Just hold it over the couch. Also helps deloading a bit if you start on the cushion.

that's how I actually used to train :) not the best thing for the couch though!

5 hours ago, Cannon said:

I have lifted by 35# fatman with 5lbs added, pretty easily.  I will continue to add weight to that sucker.  Otherwise I'm currently working with my 43# fatman.  The extra width is a show-stopper for me right now.  I can drag it around but only toward my fingers.  I'll work on dragging it toward my thumb.  Also, I can hold it in the air with some added pressure on my thumb from the other hand.  The good news is that I have a few ways to work with the 43# fatman.  The bad news is I can't gauge very well how much work I have to do to get a good lift.  Then, the final step would be adding weight to the 43# until I'm over 50. 

In other pinching news, I got a pretty easy 70# 1HP on my Euro last night.  That was part of my warm up for blobs so I didn't push that higher, but will on other nights.  The most I've ever done is 78. 

That's basically where I'm at now :)

Nice!!

this is me holding the 50 for a few milliseconds :tongue

image.png

• Like 1

Lifting a block weight is quite different than a blob....hand placement is slightly different. Shifting your hand to the side which you are lifting then pulling is more crucial with a hex block versus a blob

On 3/11/2016 at 2:07 AM, Lucasraymond said:

Lifting a block weight is quite different than a blob....hand placement is slightly different. Shifting your hand to the side which you are lifting then pulling is more crucial with a hex block versus a blob

thanks Lucas, I had no idea that it's different. Is one easier than the other or just different? 

13 hours ago, Cannon said:

@Evan Raftopoulos uh oh, great pic. I feel like you've got a better base than me!  

thanks Matt, I don't know about that but let's see who lifts it first!

Difficulty with hex blocks is very dependent on width of the block...Jedd has a 120 that is much easier than his 115 due to being about 3/8" narrower....its still hard but overall easier. Blobs are much more consistent on side, very slight differences but not like the block weights. 

• Like 1

Not much time to train lately and my blob50 is pretty far away, but looks like we're both getting 45's soon so we'llsee how that goes. The 35 face lift flip I might get on a really good day.

• Like 1

1HP felt good tonight so I went for 72.5 and it came up pretty easily for my left. 

As much as I'm right-hand dominate on grippers, my left hand is the pinch all star. 

In Blob news I got a 35# face lift and hovered the 43# fatman. I really wasn't expecting that. I got a good lift both hands with some thumb assist. With my left hand I was able to remove the assist at the top and hold it for a 1-count before losing it. 

Progress!  #liftrepeat

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wobbler said:

Not much time to train lately and my blob50 is pretty far away, but looks like we're both getting 45's soon so we'llsee how that goes. The 35 face lift flip I might get on a really good day.

yes , join the race!  I'm hoping to get that 45, waiting to hear back from him! 

2 hours ago, Cannon said:

1HP felt good tonight so I went for 72.5 and it came up pretty easily for my left. 

As much as I'm right-hand dominate on grippers, my left hand is the pinch all star. 

In Blob news I got a 35# face lift and hovered the 43# fatman. I really wasn't expecting that. I got a good lift both hands with some thumb assist. With my left hand I was able to remove the assist at the top and hold it for a 1-count before losing it. 

Progress!  #liftrepeat

sweet! I saw the vid on Instagram, looking strong! 

• 4 weeks later...

1HP was feeling "meh" so I switched to Blobs and this happened. #progress

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Route666 said:

Great progress!!

Hovered 3weeks ago and lifted today!?

Wow.... 

Yeah, with only 2 pinch workouts in that whole time frame.  :blush

Honestly I started this video to try and catch a "better" hover.  I felt like it was just about to come up without any thumb assist.  So I gathered myself a hoped to catch about a knee-high hop on video, and fully expected to lose it at the top.  And suddenly it just felt glued to my hand.  I only got a lefty lift.  I am still only shuffling it around right-handed. 

• Like 2

Good to see you all progressing!

I've always noticed that blob work goes better than most things when done at the very end of a workout, so i would never put it first in my routine unless i felt a strong instinct to do so for "testing" purposes. You may find yourself getting stronger when you expect to be totally worn out.

Also, for me anyway, once I've done any wide pinch like blobs/blockweights, most regular-width pinch and other work suffers a lot, but the reverse is not true.

• Like 2

One thing that I'm really happy about is that according to the video below by Jedd, a full size Blob (non fatman) is 3-3/4" in width.  My half-85 fatman is EXACTLY that width!  This is super exciting because it makes the half-85 the PERFECT bridge.  If I can get a 50lb lift by adding weight, then I can hope for full carry over to the regular Blob.  I won't get stumped by a slightly wider grip which is a common problem when training with smaller blobs or hex blocks.  This thing should mimic the feel of a regular blob pretty well.  

• Like 1