Axle BW correlation

Mikael Siversson

Out of boredom I decided to compare WR's in the DO axle vs weight classes. By simply using the class weight limits (thus assuming the lifter was right at the weight limit) the correlation up to the 105k class is unbelievably strong between BW and axle performance for the #1 lifters in each weight class.

59k - x2.03

66k - x2.03

74k - x2.10

83k - x2.06

93k - x2.06

105k - x2.03

• Like 7

Very interesting topic, Mikael.  I have looked into this a bit, too.  I am also interested in the one hand Axle numbers by bodyweight and age.  Off topic, but the guy who beat me at this year's USAWA Grip Champs (71 years old) last year pulled 182lbs on the one hand Axle deadlift in a contest.  It was strictly judged, like all the USAWA contests I've competed in.  The bar was pulled well above his knees and then paused motionless before the judge called the down signal.  Pulling that weight at 70 years old is pretty crazy. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bencrush said:

Very interesting topic, Mikael.  I have looked into this a bit, too.  I am also interested in the one hand Axle numbers by bodyweight and age.  Off topic, but the guy who beat me at this year's USAWA Grip Champs (71 years old) last year pulled 182lbs on the one hand Axle deadlift in a contest.  It was strictly judged, like all the USAWA contests I've competed in.  The bar was pulled well above his knees and then paused motionless before the judge called the down signal.  Pulling that weight at 70 years old is pretty crazy. 

Who is this guy?

I've looked at this a bunch before. I just want to say that if I wasn't a big baby with a back made of chopsticks, my axle would be about 220%. My back is my big time limiting factor and I wish I had a manly back.

1 minute ago, Electron said:

I've looked at this a bunch before. I just want to say that if I wasn't a big baby with a back made of chopsticks, my axle would be about 220%. My back is my big time limiting factor and I wish I had a manly back.

Problem is that with larger core muscles it may move you up to the next weight class. With great overall strength you can get the bar moving very fast but strong heavy muscles do weigh a fair bit.

2 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Problem is that with larger core muscles it may move you up to the next weight class. With great overall strength you can get the bar moving very fast but strong heavy muscles do weigh a fair bit.

That is pretty true. I'll one day escape the state of having the same DL and axle numbers. I'll maybe make NATS my deadline.

Well I can't blame poor axle numbers on back weakness as my deadlift PR is 600lb (although I weighed 205 at that point).

• Like 1

I always want a stronger DL to perform better in the DO Axle DL - but looking at Your results, Mikael, I don't know if it's the right way to go - I expected to be better in the axle when being better in the DL! I have always problems to judge if the hands or the back was the limiting factor in the case I fail doing a lift. At least I'm too weak for my bodyweight - and that's the case since I first touched an axle! Pulling doube BW on an axle must be a crazy good feeling!

I am lucky enough not having to train deadlifts separately so I probably have some residual deadlift strength left from all the years of competing in power lifting (the deadlift was my best lift by a good margin). Sadly I don't have a competition result in the Axle yet. Picking the right weight class is critical when the competition becomes more intense, something a certain Irishman found out the hard way last weekend:).

• Like 2

Having a DL well in excess of your hand strength is a definite advantage.  Being able to smoothly do the lift means having to hold for less time than having to grind over a period of several seconds while holding on with maximum hand strength.  Grip only lasts so long.  I can remember Kody holding on for what seemed like forever just below his knees a few years ago because he couldn't do the DL portion.

Very interesting! Most likely hand size is correlated with bodyweight. And in terms of relative strength. The advantage of having larger hands is equal to the disadvantage of weight being increased by the volume vs strength being increased by the squared.

Of course you also have to keep in mind that the level of competition in each weightclass is not completely equal in a sport as young and small as grip. So the above conclusion might be off a bit. But still, even with that in mind it looks like the relative strength is going to be very equal in all the weightclasses.

4 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

I am lucky enough not having to train deadlifts separately so I probably have some residual deadlift strength left from all the years of competing in power lifting (the deadlift was my best lift by a good margin). Sadly I don't have a competition result in the Axle yet. Picking the right weight class is critical when the competition becomes more intense, something a certain Irishman found out the hard way last weekend:).

I really think that way also. Did You ever try to get over 100kg BW before reducing it to 74kg? If so, did that effect Your Axle DLs? I'm reducing my BW right now and I don't have the impression that this has a significant effect on my axle DLs. I'm not forcing the BW down to a specific weightclass - I just want to have a lean body. Hopefully in the end the DL weights are not reduced in the same proportions.... :erm

17 hours ago, Electron said:

Couldn't have said it better myself.  I achieved a lift of 290 in training at about 150 body weight with very little training.  I did very little training because of my back.  If I could actually train this lift hard.... I feel like I could go way over 2x.  I don't think I've dropped an axle attempt in my life.  My back totally limits what I can attempt or train with.  I also wish I had a manly back.  :)

6 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Very interesting! Most likely hand size is correlated with bodyweight. And in terms of relative strength. The advantage of having larger hands is equal to the disadvantage of weight being increased by the volume vs strength being increased by the squared.

Of course you also have to keep in mind that the level of competition in each weightclass is not completely equal in a sport as young and small as grip. So the above conclusion might be off a bit. But still, even with that in mind it looks like the relative strength is going to be very equal in all the weightclasses.

I think hand size is a relatively minor factor in the axle for most males as 50mm is moderately thick. Some of the truly great axle lifters don't have huge hands I believe (eg Chris James). When I dropped down in weight my axle numbers dropped as well even though my hands did not shrink:). I am sure it helps having larger hands but not as much as it does at 2 1/2''-ish thick implements. I know the competition is far from equal in all weight classes but it was remarkable nonetheless that the spread in result/bw was so narrow,

For some weight loss will affect the pinch more than the axle whereas for others it is the other way around. Everyone will struggle keeping their overall grip strength when they approach the super lean state though.

Hand size isnt a factor for me in the axle lift, its mainly strength in grip portion of the lift. I've hit a modest 325 on axle for 2 before. I have an axle thats about 8 cm larger than what rogue sales, man what a huge difference it makes.