Pickaxe/sledge deadlifts

JamesG

How are people training this type of event? It's a static movement so not sure if reps or holds help but not sure what else to do other than singles. Anyone have any advice on this type of event?  I'm terrible at it.

I actually just made a David Horne pick axe, but haven't started training with it yet, but when I do, I'll be doing reps with lighter weight

David Horne gives about the best info on the axe handle lift that I have read. Go visit World of Grip and PM D Horne. 

I usually do mini "pulse" reps in which I raise it just enough to get it an inch or two off the ground, and then let it drop to the floor again. Sets of 5-10 with the occasional complete deadlift max attempt to check progress.

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

Anthony-I have never heard of that but it sounds like a great idea. I will add that into the mix for sure. Is this something you can do multiple times a week or just once?

7 minutes ago, JamesG said:

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

Anthony-I have never heard of that but it sounds like a great idea. I will add that into the mix for sure. Is this something you can do multiple times a week or just once?

It's all relative to how much other grip work you're doing. If you're already training crush, pinch and thick bar all together, you'll probably want to keep the frequency low on these. If you're only focusing on one or two things at once, no reason why you can't do them multiple times a week as they're not really physically demanding.

For the time being I'm not doing any grip work aside from sledge stuff and bending, so I do them fairly frequently with good results.

I wish I could give you a training regimen to follow but I just slowly add weight and warm up the ligaments/tendons in my wrist and continue to progress until unable to lift anymore...proper hand placement is very crucial and along with a thumb lock. Pain tolrance is definitely involved but focus on technique with lower weight and then progress slowly. I give myself tendonitis everytime i train this event; usually able to resolve it in a few weeks after stopping training with it

7 hours ago, Anthony C. said:

It's all relative to how much other grip work you're doing. If you're already training crush, pinch and thick bar all together, you'll probably want to keep the frequency low on these. If you're only focusing on one or two things at once, no reason why you can't do them multiple times a week as they're not really physically demanding.

For the time being I'm not doing any grip work aside from sledge stuff and bending, so I do them fairly frequently with good results.

If its not physically demanding then you arent doing it right...IMO!! You should def be sore...if you watch my WR lift it is not the conventional trchnique that many perform so fiddle with you technique (use some stuff I do but dont ever feel content bc when i first did the sledge choke i did 18" on a 12# sledge, then 6 months later did 27" on a 14# atNAGS)

DH video's on youtube are great way to make your own and agree with @Lucasraymond that is it a technical lift and hand placement is key. Grasping the handle and where to place your hand for the most effective lift is all down to trial and error. Watching video's of rear pickaxe lifts the person tends to lift with the elbow bent  and leaning forward rather than standing vertical and letting your wrists take all the torque. 

I've been starting with low weight to get the technique and hand placement right first but tend to work on 5 reps each hand. 

7 hours ago, Lucasraymond said:

If its not physically demanding then you arent doing it right...IMO!! You should def be sore...if you watch my WR lift it is not the conventional trchnique that many perform so fiddle with you technique (use some stuff I do but dont ever feel content bc when i first did the sledge choke i did 18" on a 12# sledge, then 6 months later did 27" on a 14# atNAGS)

Well, moreso what I meant was that you can still train without annihilating your central nervous system. And you can still get some great work in by doing the partial reps as they will get your wrists used to breaking the weight off the floor but not as demanding as what would be a full deadlift from bottom to standing.

That being said, I have no business debating this with you as clearly what you're doing is working better than my methods lol

4 minutes ago, Anthony C. said:

Well, moreso what I meant was that you can still train without annihilating your central nervous system. And you can still get some great work in by doing the partial reps as they will get your wrists used to breaking the weight off the floor but not as demanding as what would be a full deadlift from bottom to standing.

That being said, I have no business debating this with you as clearly what you're doing is working better than my methods lol

Definitely not CNS tasking...totally agree with you there. We were thinking about two totally different things!!! Everyone needs to do different things so I totally respect your idea and it would be a great starting point for ppl. Your trchnique may actually help me i will give it a shot next time we train it

• Like 1

Luke has freaky wrists - I tried what he does with just a light weight and thought I'd ripped something - so go slow.  The name of the game is just like everything we do - "progressive strength training".  Pay particular attention to "progressive" and "training".  Find your own personal technique that works best for you.  And remember - in the beginning: Testing is not your friend"  :).