sledge hammer curls

JamesG

I dont see this lift much and curious if anyone else likes it or has thoughts on it. I'm essentially talking about doing hammer curls with a sledge hammer. Diesel crew or anyone do any videos on this? I've seen an armwrestler or two recommend this lift and it would seem to carry over fairly well to the choked or any front lever type competition lift while adding size to the forearms.

I have thought about it alot and I'd say it should be a good move, this is from an armwrestlers (though crappy armwrestler that is) point of view.
I think you'd be able to get a good hammercurl in while at the same time (if you want to that is) being able to focus on radial deviation of the wrist.
Only reason I've not come around to doing it with any sort of purpose is due to me basically never getting round to doing curls of any sort... but, to me it seems like it should be a great tool for anyone wanting to get some hammercurls in +the added benefits for anyone in to reverse bending and AW.

The Swedish fish can help you. Search yt for David Wigren.  He does a lot with sledges. Well at least he did in the past. 

Edited by EJ Livesey

I've done hammer curls with sledges. They're a good alternative to front lifts or hammer deadlifts. Builds strong wrists for sure! And IMO they're easier on the wrist to train with than the static front lifts. I'd usually pick a weight and grab the handle in a distance where I know I could do 10 reps or so. Always stopping one or two reps from failure.

I don't know how well this translates into armwrestling though. I was at a armwrestling get together with some of the top armwrestlers in sweden. It was held at a crossfit gym. They had a 10 lbs sledge that they use to pound on the tractor tires. After the training I demonstrated a few deadlift holds with it grabbing it by the end. Even though some of them said they had already trained that specific movement, none of them could lift it by the end, not even close. And most of them were ALOT stronger than me on the table. 

• Like 1

Thanks David!  Do you think it would carry over to the choked deadlift event? I think Mr.  Raymond talks about how deadlifts give him tenonitis so maybe a movement like this could allow someone to continue to progress without hurting themselves.  

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 5:00 AM, David_wigren said:

I've done hammer curls with sledges. They're a good alternative to front lifts or hammer deadlifts. Builds strong wrists for sure! And IMO they're easier on the wrist to train with than the static front lifts. I'd usually pick a weight and grab the handle in a distance where I know I could do 10 reps or so. Always stopping one or two reps from failure.

I don't know how well this translates into armwrestling though. I was at a armwrestling get together with some of the top armwrestlers in sweden. It was held at a crossfit gym. They had a 10 lbs sledge that they use to pound on the tractor tires. After the training I demonstrated a few deadlift holds with it grabbing it by the end. Even though some of them said they had already trained that specific movement, none of them could lift it by the end, not even close. And most of them were ALOT stronger than me on the table. 

Stronger wrists you say... I'm in :D